My impression of the R179

MattTrain

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would be cool to see some color on that train besides black and silver and red like the R142's...perhaps shades of a silver and blue paint scheme with a nice blue stripe along the sides?

How about something similar to the buses, but with silver as opposed to the white? Is that about like something that you were thinking of?

yeah something just like that. some color on the train would be cool...I mean otherwise if the R179 is a 75 foot verison of the R160 then the subway wud be BORING yawn zzzzzzzz

R179 like the R160's with the 75 foot variation wouldn't be fun, but I think there may be more features to it. R179 speculation continues. :rolleyes:

I think the R179 should have 5 doors on each side because:

1. More standing room by the extra pair of doorways

2. Easier and faster boarding and alighting

3. Compatibility with R160's if platform edge doors are installed (I checked
:rolleyes:
).

EXACTLY!!! THANK YOU. If it is going to be 75 feet, 5 doors will make the most sense. There are many faults with 4 doors on a 75 ft long car. While there is room for seating, it affects loading time, which therefore affects scheduling.

Do you mean in the world or in the NYC Subway?

If you mean in the NYC Subway, then sure, there may have never been a 5-door car, but that doesn't mean there can never be one. The MTA should try something different this time.

If you're talking about the whole world, then actually, there are 5-door cars. One of the systems that I know has these is the Hong Kong MTR.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTR_M-Train_EMU

Even 6-door cars exist, most notably in Japan. Look here!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyu_5000_series

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamanote_Line

Anyway, I have the comparison image thingy that I made using the R160 diagram on nycsubway.org. I made an R179 by copying and pasting the end part. Also, I found out by measuring the pixel lengths that it made the car exactly 74 feet! Also, as you can see, the doorways of both trains line up with each other, proving their capability on lines that may have platform edge doors.

r160r179copy2oz8.jpg

I agree with you exseed, I lived in Hong Kong and I can tell you that for sure that the urban lines (Kwun Tong, Tsuen Wan, Island and Tseung Kwan O lines) run cars with 5 doors on each side.

Nice job with the pictures!

Your adjective "ugly" is not needed here, 5 doors may be necessary IF the proposed R179 is in fact 75 feet long. The reason being is, the current set up with 4 doors per car is not enough which therefore affects the loading. Loading times are extended when there are less doors, that is why there MAY be 5 doors on the R179 if it is 75 feet long.

And no. Coney Island will NOT be getting them, that is certain. They already got the R160s and the Hippos there are fine. The D is not based at Coney Island Yard, it is based out of Concourse Yard, and that too will not receive R179s, if they are built.

The only lines that MAY receive them, once they are built are the lines based out of 207th/Pitkin Yards and Jamaica Yards.

Yep. 5 doors are what's needed. I'd like to see them offset as well, but doesn't seem the MTA design is going that way. For now, R179s are slated towards the A and maybe C lines. But things change, look how many thought the F would get the R160 before the E, and that was the plan for awhile. And then the QB lines, E, F, and R, but probably a few years down the road as the R46 is doing well. The big thing is with the seating. I'm betting facing on the wall bench, but some are feeling limited transverse seating will work. They won't seat as many as the current R44/R46, and the R68 seats a bit less than the R44/R46.

Great idea, I'd hope it is true since MTA needs some kind of color for their train, art is a key in NYC Subway, why not train exteriors...

I really hope that they do come with a stripe, it was very dumb what the TA did when they killed the stripe on the preGOH R40M, R42 and the R44 and R46.

Yep. 5 doors are what's needed. I'd like to see them offset as well, but doesn't seem the MTA design is going that way. For now, R179s are slated towards the A and maybe C lines. But things change, look how many thought the F would get the R160 before the E, and that was the plan for awhile. And then the QB lines, E, F, and R, but probably a few years down the road as the R46 is doing well. The big thing is with the seating. I'm betting facing on the wall bench, but some are feeling limited transverse seating will work. They won't seat as many as the current R44/R46, and the R68 seats a bit less than the R44/R46.

Most likely the A will get the base order of 208 cars and also SIR with 64 cars.

well 75 feet long the doors that u word use to go from car 2 car on between the cars the doors would be locked then r68 r44 46 u can`t move from car 2 car

Well, if passengers need to move from one car to another, how about this: get out onto the platform on the next station, then move to the other car you desire.

Well, if passengers need to move from one car to another, how about this: get out onto the platform on the next station, then move to the other car you desire.

That is annoying as hell, that is why I like the R160.

5 doors per side just seems odd to me. Unique,yes, but odd.

Personally, i think the R179 needs something other than a black bonnet in the front. How about blue or , yeah, just blue i mean, its the MTAs color.

I see no difference in loading times between a 60ft and 75ft car. They both take about 15-30 secs. to load/unload.

That is annoying as hell, that is why I like the R160.

5 doors per side just seems odd to me. Unique,yes, but odd.

Personally, i think the R179 needs something other than a black bonnet in the front. How about blue or , yeah, just blue i mean, its the MTAs color.

I see no difference in loading times between a 60ft and 75ft car. They both take about 15-30 secs. to load/unload.

What is more annoying?

A locked door on a 75 footer?

Or getting busted for crossing train cars illegally by a cop and then get a handout?

Not really, there are less doors on 75 foot trains. 4 x 8 = 32 doors

60 foot car trains 4 x 10 = 40 doors

If loading times are not a problem why doesn't the (E) run R46s?

What is more annoying?

Or getting busted for crossing train cars illegally by a cop and then get a handout?

which is why they are proposing 5 doors per side on the R179's:

keep amount of doors consistant with 60 foot cars (8 doors x10 cars =80 doors for 60ft, and 8 cars x10 doors =80 doors) which also keeps passenger flow constant.

as said before, if platform screen doors are installed, there will be no discrepancy in door locations between the two car lengths.

which is why they are proposing 5 doors per side on the R179's:

keep amount of doors consistant with 60 foot cars (8 doors x10 cars =80 doors for 60ft, and 8 cars x10 doors =80 doors) which also keeps passenger flow constant.

as said before, if platform screen doors are installed, there will be no discrepancy in door locations between the two car lengths.

Exactly :cool:

What is more annoying?

Well, A locked door, only because i KNOW im not going to get caught. I've been doing it since before i was born. Besides, getting a ticket for that is rediculous, if they didnt want people to cross through, WHY ARE THEY OPEN?

I'll tell you why, that is the MTA temting people to go through hoping there is a cop in the next car willing to right that ticket. Lucky for me, every cop i pass is enjoying a donut and has no time to right a ticket.

Why don't the (E) run R46s? It's why they dont run R46s ANYMORE. There were times where R46s have run on the (E). But more to the point, If loading times were a problem, why are 75footers on lines like the (A)(D)(R)(W)(Q)? Seriously, i have never seen a diference in loading times between an R68 and an R160.(Example)

Well, A locked door, only because i KNOW im not going to get caught. I've been doing it since before i was born. Besides, getting a ticket for that is ridiculous, if they didn't want people to cross through, WHY ARE THEY OPEN?

... If loading times were a problem, why are 75footers on lines like the (A)(D)(R)(W)(Q)? Seriously, i have never seen a difference in loading times between an R68 and an R160.(Example)

75 foot cars appear on the (:)(F)(G) and (N) lines also. Yeah, the loading and unloading of those types of trains aren't a problem. However, there are occasions where the crowds move around these cars then the train has to stay a bit longer. This was the main reason New York City Transit decided to stop purchasing 75 foot cars, after 1988. Well the R179 is supposed to be 75 feet long each for a car, but I'm going to assume that train has five doors each side.

Well, A locked door, only because i KNOW im not going to get caught. I've been doing it since before i was born. Besides, getting a ticket for that is rediculous, if they didnt want people to cross through, WHY ARE THEY OPEN?

I'll tell you why, that is the MTA temting people to go through hoping there is a cop in the next car willing to right that ticket. Lucky for me, every cop i pass is enjoying a donut and has no time to right a ticket.

Why don't the (E) run R46s? It's why they dont run R46s ANYMORE. There were times where R46s have run on the (E). But more to the point, If loading times were a problem, why are 75footers on lines like the (A)(D)(R)(W)(Q)? Seriously, i have never seen a diference in loading times between an R68 and an R160.(Example)

No I rather sit my bottom still for the entire car, had I the purpose of moving cars, I would switch to them the appropriate manner. That is by getting off at the next stop, and then switch back onto another car. The locked door is a safety precaution. If they are unlocked and you go through them, you are more at risk for danger. Why? There is a greater offset between 2 75 foot cars than say 2 60 foot cars. While on straight track, there is no problem undoubtedly. But say the tunnel is curved, and if the doors are unlocked and you dare to cross cars, you put yourself at jeopardy for danger. So locking them is a safety precaution. And honestly, I really do not understand why people even need to switch cars. The basic question is, why did they even choose to board that particular car in the first place?

75 footers are on the (A)(:)(D)(F)(G)(N)(Q)(R)(S)(W), and there are crowds on the (A)(:)(D)(F)(N)(Q)(R)(W), however I am talking about massive crowds inside the car. Say you are stuck in an area between 2 doors and there are crowds around you and you would like to get off the next stop, is it easy for you to get out? Some of the people near the door must step out of the train in order to facilitate those who are disembarking or embarking the train. This is when problems plague the line, this is a source of delays. I am not saying that when 60 footers are run there are these incidents; yes there are. However since there are more doors, this factor will minimise the loading time. So I would advocate for a 75 foot car with 5 doors.

So just because they're open you feel the need to go through them? It's against the rules to cross cars as it is a safety precaution to enforce this rule and the (MTA) does not want to be sued for someone who's dumb enough to cross cars. And on the 75-footers, if the train makes a switch or a sharp curve the doors don't align AT ALL. That's why they're locked. Try it on a (V) train at Queens Plaza.

Also, in regard to the lines you gave examples of that run 75-footers, none of them, NONE, except MAYBE for the (A), come close to being as crowded as the (E). Take this from someone who takes the (E) five times a week. The dwell times do make a difference.

So just because they're open you feel the need to go through them? It's against the rules to cross cars as it is a safety precaution to enforce this rule and the (MTA) does not want to be sued for someone who's dumb enough to cross cars. And on the 75-footers, if the train makes a switch or a sharp curve the doors don't align AT ALL. That's why they're locked. Try it on a (V) train at Queens Plaza.

Also, in regard to the lines you gave examples of that run 75-footers, none of them, NONE, except MAYBE for the (A), come close to being as crowded as the (E). Take this from someone who takes the (E) five times a week. The dwell times do make a difference.

Exactly. And I agree with you on the A, the A is very packed during rush hours. It's really hard to get out anywhere between Jay and B'way Jct. especially on the R44s because of fewer doors. This makes dwell times longer.

Five sets of doors (10 doors per side) of an R179 would be my preferred choice. I'd sacrifice the perpendicular leaning seats for more sets of doors, I'm not really concerned about the seating arrangement, just more capacity and more mobility for passengers to get in and out of the subway car.

Five sets of doors (10 doors per side) of an R179 would be my preferred choice. I'd sacrifice the perpendicular leaning seats for more sets of doors, I'm not really concerned about the seating arrangement, just more capacity and more mobility for passengers to get in and out of the subway car.

Bingo, you are right on the money.

Not only will NYC house a million people, if the economy is going to recover, we will have a lot of jobs based at NYC. With an increased amount of people working and living here, we must do certain things to keep up with the pace. We have to increase capacity in such times.

Bingo, you are right on the money.

Not only will NYC house a million people, if the economy is going to recover, we will have a lot of jobs based at NYC. With an increased amount of people working and living here, we must do certain things to keep up with the pace. We have to increase capacity in such times.

Hey thanks a lot. By the way, if train cars had enough room just for people to stand that would be better than those sitting, because sitting passengers would often have a difficult time leaving the train because he or she would have to get up, probably not having enough room to even move an inch with all those passengers around. Standing, the passenger could just move around easily out the set of doors. I'd suggest taking a seat if you're going the long distance, but if it's just a few stops, then just stand and hold on the rail.

Archived