My impression of the R179

MattTrain

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I want it to look like this except entirely stainless steel, minus the pantographs, and upper deck: rer-e2.jpg

No slants. Waste far too much space. Think, though, it is time for a new look for the subways. Something innovative. Different. A departure. IMO, there are too many R160s, though the R32-R42s need to be replaced. But, there's got to be more than the same old bench seats, white/blue/silver scheme of most new trains, stainless steel look, digital signed this and that. And I really dislike the smallish front red LED line ID signs. Bring back the colors.

Challenges are how to you maximize seated and standee riders making the trains work well for both peak and non-peak, and also find ways to make them appear clean, how do you keep the brakes quiet, how do you keep the trucks quiet. For me, the R44 remains the zenith of subway design but I admit that the dwell time sucks in the 75 footers but love them as non-peak trains.

This is my rendering of what the R179 may look like, it may look similar to an R68 but it has a digital LCD sign instead of a roll sign, and storm doors similar to the R160 series. Anyways I have it signed as a (F)

R179-1.jpg

I apologize if this looks almost like my R68 drawing, but I can't seem to make this drawing similar to an R160. :(

This is my impression of a R179. Behold.

R179Ftrain.jpg

No slants. Waste far too much space. Think, though, it is time for a new look for the subways. Something innovative. Different. A departure.

Not necessarily. Now that trains are linked in 5-car sets then there will be less space wasted if the cars have slanted ends. Rather than an R40 where each car was married to another car and therefore had a slant, an R179 consist would only need 4 slanted cars (the A cars), saving space. Also, since the slant makes the train more aerodynamic it can allow the train to go faster.

Key words: I think.

I read that somewhere on subchat. If wrong, then I retract that post I made above.

Ah ok, I was just check since I have never heard that before and when the R44s were ordered, it was a big change to have them in 4 car sets (a stupid decision, but thats for another topic).

This is my rendering of what the R179 may look like, it may look similar to an R68 but it has a digital LCD sign instead of a roll sign, and storm doors similar to the R160 series. Anyways I have it signed as a (F)

R179-1.jpg

I apologize if this looks almost like my R68 drawing, but I can't seem to make this drawing similar to an R160. ;)

You made the car end look like an R142, Its suppose to have a hippo appearance like the R160. I also agree with you thats how the R179s will look. Longer cars, more interior space than the R160s, window seats like(R44/R46/R68s) I hope.

Archived