I am hanging out on the A,C, and E lines a lot.

R32 Anthony

Well, I guess the age of great subway cars are near an end. I can't help but ride the A (R38 and R42,) C (R40 and R42,) and the E (R32 and R42.) I am a big fan of the R32's and I wonder every time I get on board will it be my last ride? Can anyone tell me when the last trip on the R32's, R38's and R40/42's will be? It is nice to see the R32's on the F and R lines every once in a while. I guess I am lucky to own a MTH set of R32, R40 (slants) and R42. When will Lionel put out the R38's. MTH lost the bidding, but might make them without the TA logo.

Well, I guess the age of great subway cars are near an end. I can't help but ride the A (R38 and R42,) C (R40 and R42,) and the E (R32 and R42.) I am a big fan of the R32's and I wonder every time I get on board will it be my last ride? Can anyone tell me when the last trip on the R32's, R38's and R40/42's will be? It is nice to see the R32's on the F and R lines every once in a while. I guess I am lucky to own a MTH set of R32, R40 (slants) and R42. When will Lionel put out the R38's. MTH lost the bidding, but might make them without the TA logo.

This is the scheduled retirement date i got:

R38: mid to late February 2009

R40 slant: April - May 2009

R32: August 2009

R40M/42: November 2009 - January 2010

I would definitely miss the R38s for their rocky trip down the Fulton express. To me, they're much better than the R32s in performance by MDBF, functional parts, extra large windows, and convenient bar arrangements.

Yup. The R38 gets no respect in the "railfan community" but those cars are smooth as hell and pretty quick too. A lot of the crews that don't mind the half width cab arrangement like operating them.

As a regular rider of the (A)(C)(E), (being that Jamaica Center is one of my home stations) I find myself riding the whole half width cab fleet all the time. As a railfanner, I find myself doing the same but to a greater extent. ;-)

From riding the R32s, to the R38s, and R40s its all great. Too bad the cars are gettng scrapped. I would love to get in more rides on the R38s, and the Slants before they disappear for good.

Archived