I got persecuted

NYtransit

That cop did go to far and yes you have the right to get the officers Name and Badge Number but I think you did the right thing by playing it cool. The whole picture taking thing is a gray area the MTA website say its legal but the terrorism training given to ALL (MTA) personal say report it. I can't go into details but if your taking a picture of my train I am suppose to call it in and let Police handle the situation the Employee isn't suppose to challege you. Alot of us have common sence see railfans and let it go while others look at this as a incident to make themselfs look important. I have yet to report a person taking Photo's because in most cases I know who the railfans are. You may not know me and I may not know your handle but I remember the faces from all those fantrips and the fact I worked every line in the systerm.

Heh...not to mention large groups of males with no girls around wearing subway route bullet t shirts and hats and pointing at the train while snapping photo's is usually a dead giveaway :D

That cop did go to far and yes you have the right to get the officers Name and Badge Number but I think you did the right thing by playing it cool. The whole picture taking thing is a gray area the MTA website say its legal but the terrorism training given to ALL (MTA) personal say report it. I can't go into details but if your taking a picture of my train I am suppose to call it in and let Police handle the situation the Employee isn't suppose to challege you. Alot of us have common sence see railfans and let it go while others look at this as a incident to make themselfs look important. I have yet to report a person taking Photo's because in most cases I know who the railfans are. You may not know me and I may not know your handle but I remember the faces from all those fantrips and the fact I worked every line in the systerm.

No, photography is not a gray area at all.

Photography is legal - FACT.

Police officers have the right to investigate anyone for anything - FACT.

MTA employees should call in suspicious behavior and not confront suspicious people - FACT.

MTA employees should get a clue that people openly taking photo are not suspicious and are most likely not terrorists, since terrorists would not want to be seen or caught under any circumstances - FACT.

There is nothing unclear about the above.

Cops taking camera away is plain illeagel on the (MTA) and (NJT), since the law permits photgraphy without external equiptment, that means no tripods and no add-on lens/flash..

No, that is not true. Cops may be allowed to take away your camera during an arrest. But that's not what we're talking about here. We're not even talking about taking away your camera. We're talking about being forced to delete your photos, which is NEVER allowed.

The cops CANNOT force to delete and take away camera and not returing it is Illegal... They taking away to check photos the camera is okay but not fine or the things described above...

Ideally, the cops can't force to the photographer to delete his/her pictures went caught because simply, it is not a violation to take pictures of the subway.

The cops CANNOT force to delete and take away camera and not returing it is Illegal... They taking away to check photos the camera is okay but not fine or the things described above...

No, they can't force you to give over your camera to "check photos" either unless they are arresting you.

Archived