R40 slants on the E

FlushingExpress

hmmm interesting...I wonder if that redbird/Slant garbage train consists of one of the redbirds that are stationary at ENY...there is a pair there right next to a pair of slants that have the stairs made in front of the front door...the red birds had them too but then one day a few months ago I saw the slant took its place. the RB's are a (4) and that slant pair next to it is a (:P

In all honesty, the slants are certainly not going to Jamaica Yd despite certain rumours and reports that they might:

-The R40 Slants are most likely going to be retired during the second quarter of 2009, most likely this is before the R32 Phase 1's retirement (which, by observations, may be around the third quarter of 2009)

-If the slants go there, what will they replace? Cars that will retire later than them?

-It will be time and money consuming to switch trains in and out. Because sooner or later, the slants have to be pulled out of Jamaica Yard and sent to the barge from there.

if they acually saw the R40 slant on the (:( at Jamaica, there is a possibility they'd actually put it on the (E)(F)(G)(R)(V) lines. im not saying im 100% sure but either it might go in service on those lines, or they'll probably use it for garbage trains or something.

if they acually saw the R40 slant on the (:( at Jamaica, there is a possibility they'd actually put it on the (E)(F)(G)(R)(V) lines. im not saying im 100% sure but either it might go in service on those lines, or they'll probably use it for garbage trains or something.

they do use R40s for garbage trains. i saw one last month, but that does not necesarrily mean R40s are going to Jamaica, which i remind you WILL NEVER happen since the slants are retiring soon.

I mean like...wasnt it unexpected when the slants showed up on the A...cause I remember saying 2 myself since i saw the R40M's on the A that the slants would follow..and it did, so maybe the same for the E train? My point is that the Slants seem to follow where ever the mods go...so if the mods are on the E perhaps then the slants would be too.

I mean like...wasnt it unexpected when the slants showed up on the A...cause I remember saying 2 myself since i saw the R40M's on the A that the slants would follow..and it did, so maybe the same for the E train? My point is that the Slants seem to follow where ever the mods go...so if the mods are on the E perhaps then the slants would be too.

the slants are retiring before the Mods, so that is why the slants are staying where they are.

The slants appeared on the A because they were close to retirement. True throughout much of its lifetime, the slants are based on the same yards where the Mods are based at, for the most part (East New York and Coney Island Yards are examples, and recently 207/Pitkin). However, the Mods have say, a few more months than the slants, they are supposedly going to be retired once the R32 Phase 1's are rid of. So they are doing this transfer to necessitate the move that will bring the R32s out of Jamaica and send the Mods and R42s in, in return.

Slants are going to stay at Pitkin, NO MATTER WHAT. If they go there, what would they replace? The point of the R40M/R42s going to Jamaica are to substitute for the Phase 1s that are returning to Pitkin to rid the R38s. The slants are most likely going to retire after the R38s and before the R32s. Why would they go to Jamaica? To please foamers? No, they will stay at Pitkin. If they are sent to Jamaica Yd, they will, at a certain time, be transferred back to 207 to be reefed, and that takes a lot of money and time, so it is not needed at all.

oh okay I get you so the slants will remain at pitkin because basically that is there death yard where they will be retired and end...and if that is so then transf. them would be pointless ( unless like you said to please foamers ) but that wont happen because its not necessary...correct?

oh okay I get you so the slants will remain at pitkin because basically that is there death yard where they will be retired and end...and if that is so then transf. them would be pointless ( unless like you said to please foamers ) but that wont happen because its not necessary...correct?

Yes and illogical, because the slants will retire soon. The reason for Mods going to Jamaica is because they will replace something. What will the slants replace???

Yes and illogical, because the slants will retire soon. The reason for Mods going to Jamaica is because they will replace something. What will the slants replace???

hmmm i would say...nothing. my mouth is dry on this one...so i guess the slants are fine where they are...anything else is pointless.

if they acually saw the R40 slant on the (:) at Jamaica, there is a possibility they'd actually put it on the (E)(F)(G)(R)(V) lines. im not saying im 100% sure but either it might go in service on those lines, or they'll probably use it for garbage trains or something.

It's just a slant garbage train. The crews just leave the rollsign as a (:).

Example:

GEDC1213.jpg

Carrol Street on the (F)(G) line.

GEDC1215.jpg

Anyways... perhaps on their departure trip, the Slants will make a trip along the (E)(F) as well as the Coney Island lines, I'm pretty sure MANY railfans (not just the foamers) would love to see that happen.

Yeah, I always wanted the (E) to make a fan trip to the Rockaways ever since the Slants went on the (A)(C) lines again.

Archived