Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Sea Beach

Is It Illegal To Walk Betwen Cars While Train Is In The Station?

2 weeks ago I was at the 59 St (N) station when I was walking btwn the cars (R160) while the train was in the station. I get to the 2nd door and noticed it was locked! I look up and there was a cop staring at me through the glass!! I go back into the car and the cop comes running on the train and says I need to get off. So I get off the train and she handed me a $75 ticket. She said If I dont pay the ticket they issue a warrant on me!! I read the ticket and it says I have to go to a hearing on January 20th. Dont you find it weird that the 2nd door was locked and there was a cop behind it?! and also handing a 16 year old a ticket?! I think I was trapped by this cop,she just was looking to ticket ppl!! Now my question is,Is It Illegal To Walk Betwen Cars While Train Is In The Station?

It's technically illegal to walk between cars, period, unless there is an emergency.

ok,but Dont you find it weird that the 2nd door was locked and there was a cop behind it?! and also handing a 16 year old a ticket?!

It's technically illegal to walk between cars, period, unless there is an emergency.

Just curious, since when did they implement this rule?

I remember walking between cars on the redbird (2) as a kid...

ok,but Dont you find it weird that the 2nd door was locked and there was a cop behind it?! and also handing a 16 year old a ticket?!

Did she take down your name and address?

And also, the cops can give handouts to anyone, if the person is breaking the law.

Did she take down your name and address?

And also, the cops can give handouts to anyone, if the person is breaking the law.

yes,she took down my name and address. and either way,I still believe i was trapped! There supposed to find ppl by suprise,not trap them like mice!

I got a ticket for the same thing, except the train was actually moving. >.> But it was between 20th and Bay Parkway and everyone does that. And the best part is they came like 30 seconds after I'm done with walking between cars.

And don't bother with the hearing; you're just gonna waste like 2 hours waiting. Then once you go in, they barely have any time for you to plead your case. I said one sentence and the judge said "this hearing's over." Just pay your fine or write a letter to plead your case and get on with your life. (MTA) needs money so they're not likely to drop the charges anyways.

yes,she took down my name and address. and either way,I still believe i was trapped! There supposed to find ppl by suprise,not trap them like mice!

Set ups are rare but they do happen. If you ever have to switch cars, wait for the next stop, get out of the car and go into the one you desire.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (PSP (PlayStation Portable); 2.00))

still you should know that you cant do that its the law and it doesnt matter how old you are.

still you should know that you cant do that its the law and it doesnt matter how old you are.

Yeah I got a reprimand from several cops in one incident along the 6 line in May for doing the same thing. Pretty embarrassing.

Set ups are rare but they do happen. If you ever have to switch cars, wait for the next stop, get out of the car and go into the one you desire.

ya get those dirty cops sometimes.

Im doing that from now on.

Well,I thought it was ok to do that when train is in the station.

Yeah I got a reprimand from several cops in one incident along the 6 line in May for doing the same thing. Pretty embarrassing.

I know,when this happened to me everyone was staring at me. I was so embarrased.

ya get those dirty cops sometimes.

Im doing that from now on.

Well,I thought it was ok to do that when train is in the station.

I know,when this happened to me everyone was staring at me. I was so embarrased.

That cop's pretty tough on you... setting a trap and then handing you a ticket. The cops I encountered were like "Whoa...whoa..whoa" and they said some things telling me that I should go between cars and let me go.

The law is blind to age, color, race and sex. Don't do the crime if you can't suffer the consequences. This rule has been in effect for years. They had signs all over the place. I doubt you were "set up". Seems like you were just at the wrong place at the wrong time. Just pay up the fine and use it as a lesson.

The law is blind to age, color, race and sex. Don't do the crime if you can't suffer the consequences. This rule has been in effect for years. They had signs all over the place. I doubt you were "set up". Seems like you were just at the wrong place at the wrong time. Just pay up the fine and use it as a lesson.

Finally the voice of reason surfaces. I'm pretty sure every storm door i've seen has the don't-walk-between-cars sticker on it.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008120121 Firefox/3.0.5 Ubiquity/0.1.4)

Any particular reason after like... 100 years, they implemented the rule?

Did someone fall off the walkway between cars or something?

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008120121 Firefox/3.0.5 Ubiquity/0.1.4)

Any particular reason after like... 100 years, they implemented the rule?

Did someone fall off the walkway between cars or something?

I don't think someone fell inb/w the cars, but it had happened in the past. I guess they implemented the rule b/c I guess (MTA) tired of ppl breaking the rules so they just enforced in 2005....yet ppl still walk inb/w the subway cars when in the train is in the station or not in the station!

it seem like that rule been out before 2005...

Door lock+cop looking straight at you=lol

How come they allow it on the Nostalgia Train Run?

I usually don't walk through the doors unless if there is some kind of emergency like the R-160 driver forgetting to lock the cabin door incident on a (W) train back on the 10th in December...

The nostalgia train run has its own circumstances, I think; but even then you are not allowed to cross between cars. I do not recall hearing that CROSSING CARS IS ALLOWED ON NOSTALGIA TRAIN RUNS

IAWTP 100%

If you are going to break rules, understand the risk and the consequences.

But how come the employees/cops on the train doesn't give anyone a ticket?

Only the COPS give tickets.

And it depends on the cop, if you run into a nicer cop, you only get a reprimand... if the cop is in a nasty mood, you're getting a write up.

The nostalgia train run has its own circumstances, I think; but even then you are not allowed to cross between cars. I do not recall hearing that CROSSING CARS IS ALLOWED ON NOSTALGIA TRAIN RUNS

its allowed the Last time i went was for the (1) in the summer, and the T/A workers allowed people to cross weather or not the train is moition

Its legal to cross, while train is NOT in motion, but in motion it is illegal. The (MTA) made this a rule cuz they hate getting blamed for people falling off the train, especiall at curves, like the S curve at West Farms on the (2)(5) EL or the (7) north of Queensboro plaza

what i dont get is if the train is NOT in moition u are allowed, but most cops, claim not allowed at anytime unless in an emergency

if you hear the announcement made by charilie inthe NTT he says:

"Ladies and Gentleman, please do not ride or cross between subway cars while train is in motion"

so then we are allowed to cross, but when train is not running?

and dont worry Vinny, your not alone, i got stopped in 2007 for crossing a (2) Train between E180th and West Farms SQ on SB train, i had to pay 75$, my mother was nervous and shocked.

And careful, there are UNDERCOVER COPS! Id suggest to becareful not to cross the train where NYPD Transit stations are at, like mine which is at E180th.

Its weird that the Mid/South Bronx, South Brooklyn, Northern Manhattan and Jamaica/CoronaQueens, always get stopped by cops.

Downtown people hardly, especially at 42nd street on the (7) on AM you see ma people rushing between cars, and on PM hrs on the 42nd Street (S) heading EB, on Track 4..

That gets me pissed

Also is the SIR getting any rules for this? Cuz i notice u can cross the R44SIR, me and backline(troxo) did it in the summer, and no one! o_0

btw vinny, i suggest u pay the fine, dont file a hearing, otherwise it can f**k up your records, and did u told your mother/dad?

Its legal to cross, while train is NOT in motion, but in motion it is illegal.

Wrong!

As per Section 1050.9 part D of the MTA rules of conduct http://mta.info/nyct/rules/rules.htm#restricted

No person may ride on the roof, platform between subway cars or on any other area outside any subway car or bus or other conveyance operated by the Authority. No person may use the end doors of a subway car to pass from one subway car to another except in an emergency or when directed to do so by an Authority conductor or a New York City police officer.

In other words, it is a violation to move between end doors of a subway car whether or not train is in motion, except in an emergency or when directed by police officer or conductor.