Is It Illegal To Walk Betwen Cars While Train Is In The Station?

Sea Beach

This is just me personally, but if a cop gives me a hard time i'm not going to let them get away with it. Going between cars isnt actually dangerous and people do it all the time. I'll get their badge number & call whoever i need. If i'm going between cars, there will be a damn good reason even if its not some huge emergency.

- A

This is just me personally, but if a cop gives me a hard time i'm not going to let them get away with it. Going between cars isnt actually dangerous and people do it all the time. I'll get their badge number & call whoever i need. If i'm going between cars, there will be a damn good reason even if its not some huge emergency.

- A

The law prohibits going between subway cars. The police officer gives you a ticket for violating the law. I don't see what the problem is there... If you have such a big problem with getting punished for breaking the law, don't break the law.

- A

You are breaking the law. Don't like to be harassed about it? Well how about you don't break the law then. It doesn't matter if you feel if it's dangerous or not. It's against the MTA rules of conduct.

Wrong!

As per Section 1050.9 part D of the MTA rules of conduct http://mta.info/nyct/rules/rules.htm#restricted

In other words, it is a violation to move between end doors of a subway car whether or not train is in motion, except in an emergency or when directed by police officer or conductor.

wellllllll its a stupid rule! Regarding not in motion.

Cuz who the heck would fall while a train is still, not talking about disabled or kiddies~~

and also even if its a rule, people do it, no matter wat~ I do it, but when ether the train is empty or where i know there aint cops or undercovers~

We dunno if u do it sometimes julio.. Everyone does it. Like for example people spitting on the train tracks or platform, who doesnt. cops all over the place they dont seem to care much~

Well I guess thats why the voice of Charlie Pellett says that it is illegal to ride or walk between cars ect.... Yea as someone said before, just get out and run back in to the next car if you wanna switch cars. And watch out for the cops next time you wanna go through the storm doors.

- A

I have the same attitude as you do, on the SIR you can cross cars when the train is in station and not moving, pretty much because the stretch of tracks that runs in Staten Island is straight. But never do I cross cars when the train is full of people, I've seen undercover cops trying to trick you in, even if they just look like a normal person, just have to watch out for them, if you don't feel like getting ticketed.

The nostalgia train run has its own circumstances, I think; but even then you are not allowed to cross between cars. I do not recall hearing that CROSSING CARS IS ALLOWED ON NOSTALGIA TRAIN RUNS

IAWTP 100%

If you are going to break rules, understand the risk and the consequences.

I didnt know it was illegal to walk in btwn cars while train is in motion,and Dont you find it weird that the 2nd door was locked and there was a cop behind it?! It was a trap!! Im gonna get them in so much trouble and I probally wont end up paying the ticket after the ticket ppl find this out!!

its allowed the Last time i went was for the (1) in the summer, and the T/A workers allowed people to cross weather or not the train is moition

Its legal to cross, while train is NOT in motion, but in motion it is illegal. The (MTA) made this a rule cuz they hate getting blamed for people falling off the train, especiall at curves, like the S curve at West Farms on the (2)(5) EL or the (7) north of Queensboro plaza

what i dont get is if the train is NOT in moition u are allowed, but most cops, claim not allowed at anytime unless in an emergency

if you hear the announcement made by charilie inthe NTT he says:

"Ladies and Gentleman, please do not ride or cross between subway cars while train is in motion"

so then we are allowed to cross, but when train is not running?

and dont worry Vinny, your not alone, i got stopped in 2007 for crossing a (2) Train between E180th and West Farms SQ on SB train, i had to pay 75$, my mother was nervous and shocked.

And careful, there are UNDERCOVER COPS! Id suggest to becareful not to cross the train where NYPD Transit stations are at, like mine which is at E180th.

Its weird that the Mid/South Bronx, South Brooklyn, Northern Manhattan and Jamaica/CoronaQueens, always get stopped by cops.

Downtown people hardly, especially at 42nd street on the (7) on AM you see ma people rushing between cars, and on PM hrs on the 42nd Street (S) heading EB, on Track 4..

That gets me pissed

Also is the SIR getting any rules for this? Cuz i notice u can cross the R44SIR, me and backline(troxo) did it in the summer, and no one! o_0

btw vinny, i suggest u pay the fine, dont file a hearing, otherwise it can f**k up your records, and did u told your mother/dad?

I know,the (MTA) needs to get there storys straight with this law!! One person says its ok and the other says no!!

How else am I gonna pay the fine? I have no choice but to go to the hearing,im telling them what the cop did to me,how she trapped me!!

My grandma knows.

Agreed! Its not dangerous and im not gonna let them get away with this,on how she trapped me!!

The law prohibits going between subway cars. The police officer gives you a ticket for violating the law. I don't see what the problem is there... If you have such a big problem with getting punished for breaking the law, don't break the law.

I have a problem with it cause she trappped me,the 2nd door was locked and the cop was behind it,go figure.

You are breaking the law. Don't like to be harassed about it? Well how about you don't break the law then. It doesn't matter if you feel if it's dangerous or not. It's against the MTA rules of conduct.

actually,the cop is more like breaking the law by trapping ppl like mice!!

wellllllll its a stupid rule! Regarding not in motion.

Cuz who the heck would fall while a train is still, not talking about disabled or kiddies~~

and also even if its a rule, people do it, no matter wat~ I do it, but when ether the train is empty or where i know there aint cops or undercovers~

We dunno if u do it sometimes julio.. Everyone does it. Like for example people spitting on the train tracks or platform, who doesnt. cops all over the place they dont seem to care much~

Agreed

Well I guess thats why the voice of Charlie Pellett says that it is illegal to ride or walk between cars ect.... Yea as someone said before, just get out and run back in to the next car if you wanna switch cars. And watch out for the cops next time you wanna go through the storm doors.

Im gonna do that from now on Dave.

You picked a bad example. Spitting is disgusting and no civilized person (no offense, it's just my opinion) would do it in public, unless he's spitting into a tissue or something.

I didnt know it was illegal to walk in btwn cars while train is in motion,and Dont you find it weird that the 2nd door was locked and there was a cop behind it?! It was a trap!! Im gonna get them in so much trouble and I probally wont end up paying the ticket after the ticket ppl find this out!!

I know,the (MTA) needs to get there storys straight with this law!! One person says its ok and the other says no!!

Agreed! Its not dangerous and im not gonna let them get away with this,on how she trapped me!!

I have a problem with it cause she trappped me,the 2nd door was locked and the cop was behind it,go figure.

actually,the cop is more like breaking the law by trapping ppl like mice!!

The fact of the matter is, you were crossing between cars, which is still illegal. Even if the door wasn't locked, the cop would still have busted you when you got into the next car.

And besides, I don't know of any law that forbids cops to trap people who are breaking the law at that time. I don't think "The cop trapped me!" is a valid argument in court, because you were still crossing between cars.

Only the train crew have the keys to lock the doors. NYPD/TA Police don't have any keys. There is no "set up" that you think happened. Just pay the ticket and use it to learn from your mistakes. @ Mark: Stupid or not. It's the law. If you can't follow rules as a passenger, how do you plan to work for the MTA as an MTA employee which have to follow a lot more rules than the public.

The fact of the matter is, you were crossing between cars, which is still illegal. Even if the door wasn't locked, the cop would still have busted you when you got into the next car.

And besides, I don't know of any law that forbids cops to trap people who are breaking the law at that time. I don't think "The cop trapped me!" is a valid argument in court, because you were still crossing between cars.

Vinny, I suggest that you pay the fine.. yes I know it's a bit rough, but still, you broke the law and now you have to pay up. You can go to the hearing and say "SHE SET ME UP!" you think the judges will listen to you? The fact of the matter is, to them is, you broke the law. So they will have the law on you. They will say, "The police officer is right in that she is doing her job. She wants everyone to be safe etc......." Worse yet, if the rule out that you were wrong in the hearing, you may have to face even worse ramifications. And yes, getting a warrant for this is not only embarrassing but it affects your record as well. I don't think the colleges want to hear about a prospective student get busted for walking between subway cars in New York City.

It sucks, but, just pay the 75 bucks.

I never knew it was illegal til everyone told me on here,and I never said there was any law that forbids cops to trap people,im saying that cops shouldnt be doing that,there supposed to find ppl by surprise! What doesent anyone understand!? And the hearing isnt in a court,its at a (MTA) center in Downtown Bklyn.

Only the train crew have the keys to lock the doors. NYPD/TA Police don't have any keys. There is no "set up" that you think happened. Just pay the ticket and use it to learn from your mistakes. @ Mark: Stupid or not. It's the law. If you can't follow rules as a passenger, how do you plan to work for the MTA as an MTA employee which have to follow a lot more rules than the public.

Wrong,TA cops do have keys for the doors. That was a "set up". Cmon,why would the door be locked and a cop right behind it?! I dont care about paying the ticket,I have the money,but its the principal of what that dirty cop did.

Vinny, I suggest that you pay the fine.. yes I know it's a bit rough, but still, you broke the law and now you have to pay up. You can go to the hearing and say "SHE SET ME UP!" you think the judges will listen to you? The fact of the matter is, to them is, you broke the law. So they will have the law on you. They will say, "The police officer is right in that she is doing her job. She wants everyone to be safe etc......." Worse yet, if the rule out that you were wrong in the hearing, you may have to face even worse ramifications. And yes, getting a warrant for this is not only embarrassing but it affects your record as well. I don't think the colleges want to hear about a prospective student get busted for walking between subway cars in New York City.

It sucks, but, just pay the 75 bucks.

I dont care about paying the ticket,I have the money,but like I said to Julio,its the principal of what that dirty cop did. If my argument dont work out then I just pay the ticket,what can I do,im not gonna let them issue a warrant on me.

I never knew it was illegal til everyone told me on here,and I never said there was any law that forbids cops to trap people,im saying that cops shouldnt be doing that,there supposed to find ppl by surprise! What doesent anyone understand!? And the hearing isnt in a court,its at a (MTA) center in Downtown Bklyn.

Wrong,TA cops do have keys for the doors. That was a "set up". Cmon,why would the door be locked and a cop right behind it?! I dont care about paying the ticket,I have the money,but its the principal of what that dirty cop did.

I dont care about paying the ticket,I have the money,but like I said to Julio,its the principal of what that dirty cop did. If my argument dont work out then I just pay the ticket,what can I do,im not gonna let them issue a warrant on me.

Doesn't matter... the cop is doing her job. Cops have their ways, don't whine about it. It sucks but, still.

The fact is it is a violation to walk between cars at any time, in motion or not. You broke the law. Get over it and pay your fine. NYCT employees don't issue tickets but many NYPD officers DO have keys.

Like I said in the other hundred posts,I never knew it was illegal til everyone told me on here,Now I know. Looks like you dont understand either about the Dirty Cop. Its not that I dont want to pay the ticket,its all about this Dirty Cop.

Doesn't matter... the cop is doing her job. Cops have their ways, don't whine about it. It sucks but, still.

No it does matter,so your saying that being a scamartist and having there ways is doing her job?! Im not whining about it,If I have to pay it then I pay it,what can I do.

No it does matter,so your saying that being a scamartist and having there ways is doing her job?! Im not whining about it,If I have to pay it then I pay it,what can I do.

I do not think that setting people up is illegal in the NYPD or Transit Cop books. If it is used to catch people, yes.

The cops have done nasty things in the past "to deter criminals". For example, leaving a wallet, waiting for someone to pick it up and then nab them. That's just their way of doing things.

And didn't you realise the cop was there when you were in your original car?

I do not think that setting people up is illegal in the NYPD or Transit Cop books. If it is used to catch people, yes.

The cops have done nasty things in the past "to deter criminals". For example, leaving a wallet, waiting for someone to pick it up and then nab them. That's just their way of doing things.

And didn't you realise the cop was there when you were in your original car?

never said it was illegal,I didnt noice til I went to open the 2nd door.

Like I said in the other hundred posts,I never knew it was illegal til everyone told me on here,Now I know. Looks like you dont understand either about the Dirty Cop. Its not that I dont want to pay the ticket,its all about this Dirty Cop.

Ignorantia legis neminem excusat; ignorance of the law excuses no one . Get over yourself and your conspiracy that the cop set you up. The cop just happened to be there while you broke the law. Pay the ticket and forget about it.

Vinster I do believe you were breaking the law whether you were " set up" or not. Every storm door has posters telling you not to walk between cars. Since you have internet access go to (MTA) home page and read the rules. You would be surprised what constitutes a violation. Soda, coffee drinking, eating donuts, etc., against the law. When you buy a Metrocard you agree to all of those rules.

Vinster I do believe you were breaking the law whether you were " set up" or not. Every storm door has posters telling you not to walk between cars. Since you have internet access go to (MTA) home page and read the rules. You would be surprised what constitutes a violation. Soda, coffee drinking, eating donuts, etc., against the law. When you buy a Metrocard you agree to all of those rules.

Eating on the train is now part of the "breaking rules" also?

never said it was illegal,I didnt noice til I went to open the 2nd door.

If it is not illegal for them, they could do it. You should be glad she did not cuff you.

Ignorantia legis neminem excusat; ignorance of the law excuses no one . Get over yourself and your conspiracy that the cop set you up. The cop just happened to be there while you broke the law. Pay the ticket and forget about it.

That sums it all up. Like what Julio said, since now you know that crossing between train cars is illegal, let that stick into your mind and that this incident be a lesson for you.

Eating on the train is now part of the "breaking rules" also?

Yes, but it is not enforced though. So you will see soda stains in some of the cars here. That's something the MTA wishes to prevent.

Other rules include littering, etc... disturbing other passengers etc...

Archived