Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Maserati7200

Why Can one walk between IRT& 60 Footers but not 75 footers?

Howcome on the IRT and BMT/IND 60 foot cars the doors are unlocked but they are locked on 75 footers? That doesn't make sense to me. How does 15 feet make a difference when switching cars?

Howcome on the IRT and BMT/IND 60 foot cars the doors are unlocked but they are locked on 75 footers? That doesn't make sense to me. How does 15 feet make a difference when switching cars?

IIRC it was a story on Fox 5 news.....then the 75ft cars was built back in the 70's or w/e year it was, when the train turns it lturns with a wide gap. So I guess TA/(MTA) feared that pessengers my fall inb/w the cars so they locked it, so only in emergencies it would be unlocked!

IIRC it was a story on Fox 5 news.....then the 75ft cars was built back in the 70's or w/e year it was, when the train turns it lturns with a wide gap. So I guess TA/(MTA) feared that pessengers my fall inb/w the cars so they locked it, so only in emergencies it would be unlocked!

Yeah, there is going to be a larger gap due the 75fters's dimensions.

Are the doors automatically locked by the train crew?

Yeah, there is going to be a larger gap due the 75fters's dimensions.

Are the doors automatically locked by the train crew?

Actually, the doors are permanently locked until the C/R overrides them in an emergency. In other words, they NEVER open while in revenue service.

Actually, the doors are permanently locked until the C/R overrides them in an emergency. In other words, they NEVER open while in revenue service.

Ohh, so now I know.

Nah, one time one side was unlocked and the other side was locked, so this Latino guy got stuck between, and looked real helpless. I don't know why he didn't go back the way he came. o.O

Interesting.

I remember an account involving 75 footers and locked doors:

I remember my days as a freshman in September 06, my friend trying going between train cars on the D line at Bedford Park Blvd. He got stuck in between, and some how the door he managed to open before got automatically locked. The other train car's doors were locked also. So we (there was a huge group of us, comprising of freshmen and sophomores) tried to tug at the door. And my friend said he'll go through the gap, under the tracks and climb back up to the platform. And we were like "you're nuts!" We were trying to keep the train doors open because the C/R was trying to close them so the train could move out. The C/R got pissed because we kept on restraining the doors. So, one of us ran to the C/R and told him what happened. The C/R told people to get off the train because something happened. And after 10 minutes, I believe the C/R unlocked the doors, enabling the guy to get back in.

So yeah, the thing is, how did the door manage to be open before and yet a few minutes later, it was locked?

I don't know what you all mean by "gap", but the gap is the same from car to car. The reason is 75fters have such a nasty offset at the ends when going around curves. The two storm doors from the cars being passed between are not lined up for one to walk through. When going around a left curve, the rear of the front cars storm door is about where the front cab windshield would be. That's what is meant by offset. Even the IRT, and 60fters have this, but it's not much to be of any hindrance. 75fters you can't just step to the next car when the train is going around curves. You would step and see a front cab window, or front roll-sign window. Remember 75ft cars have the same wheel base as the other 60ft cars, or nearly the same. The 75fters have more overhang on the rears. That = more offset........

I don't know what you all mean by "gap", but the gap is the same from car to car. The reason is 75fters have such a nasty offset at the ends when going around curves. The two storm doors from the cars being passed between are not lined up for one to walk through. When going around a left curve, the rear of the front cars storm door is about where the front cab windshield would be. That's what is meant by offset. Even the IRT, and 60fters have this, but it's not much to be of any hindrance. 75fters you can't just step to the next car when the train is going around curves. You would step and see a front cab window, or front roll-sign window. Remember 75ft cars have the same wheel base as the other 60ft cars, or nearly the same. The 75fters have more overhang on the rears. That = more offset........

Yeah I actually meant the offset.

Interesting.

I remember my days as a freshman in September 06, my friend trying going between train cars on the D line at Bedford Park Blvd. He got stuck in between, and some how the door he managed to open before got automatically locked. The other train car's doors were locked also. So we (there was a huge group of us, comprising of freshmen and sophomores) tried to tug at the door. And my friend said he'll go through the gap, under the tracks and climb back up to the platform. And we were like "you're nuts!" We were trying to keep the train doors open because the C/R was trying to close them so the train could move out. The C/R got pissed because we kept on restraining the doors. So, one of us ran to the C/R and told him what happened. The C/R told people to get off the train because something happened. And after 10 minutes, I believe the C/R unlocked the doors, enabling the guy to get back in.

So yeah, the thing is, how did the door manage to be open before and yet a few minutes later, it was locked?

I know on R44s there is a button on the left side of the storm door when outside of the train, that enables you to get back in the train in case you get locked out, I don't know about the R68s though... Also the 75 footers' storm doors seem heavier to pull than any other one, maybe because they're not being put to use often.

Yeah I actually meant the offset.

O.K...

Remember if you see a woman with a overhanging giant backside, don't stand to close, as when she turns, her giant butt will have an offset and can knock you over......:P:D:D............

O.K...

Remember if you see a woman with a overhanging giant backside, don't stand to close, as when she turns, her giant butt will have an offset and can knock you over......:P:D:D............

LOL

Interesting.

Sorry, I guess that's what I get for assuming. I was basing my info off of a sign that I saw next to the door. But I think that's wrong now. Thanks.

It is becuz of huge gabs, especially on turns it gets wider

On IRT it isnt much bad or cars that are 51 feet Long(if im correct or 61 or something) for R32 to 42s and R143/160A/B

The SIR allows crossing as it doesnt involve much turns, and those guys uses R44SIR and ive crossed~

I also recall reading somewhere how if someone were passing between cars at the exact moment a train were turning, it was possible for them to get crushed (or at minimum knocked off balances) as the ends swung around with them in the middle.

I also recall reading somewhere how if someone were passing between cars at the exact moment a train were turning, it was possible for them to get crushed (or at minimum knocked off balances) as the ends swung around with them in the middle.

Maybe if one could do a split, then they might survive the curve........

It is becuz of huge gabs, especially on turns it gets wider

On IRT it isnt much bad or cars that are 51 feet Long(if im correct or 61 or something) for R32 to 42s and R143/160A/B

The SIR allows crossing as it doesnt involve much turns, and those guys uses R44SIR and ive crossed~

Gaps are the same, when the train is on a curve they're also the same, but the storm doors are not lined up to cross safely, go on a R44 on the SIR and see for yourself paying close attention.

Gaps are the same, when the train is on a curve they're also the same, but the storm doors are not lined up to cross safely, go on a R44 on the SIR and see for yourself paying close attention.

yes but still sir hardly goes through curves, it does but hardly

Otherwise the end doors would be locked

On main line heavy rail, they mostly use the 85 foot cars with about 8 feet overhang from the coupler to the truck bearing. The curve in subway translated to main line dimensions would derail the train before the vestibule wasnt safe to pass between. This is because compared to longer subway cars the truck bearings are closer to the ends, if trucks were farther to the end in subway cars they would need softer curves.

No transit agency wants passengers in the vestibule because in reality it's a crumple zone & there's cables & hoses they dont want tampered with etc etc. In the subway you really shouldnt move between cars unless you deem that its the best possible choice. On main line trains its different, but its always safest inside.

- A

The anticlimbers and storm doors on the R44s, R46s, R68s, and R68As dont properly align with one another when going around curves, so if some tried to get across two 75 footers, they would most likely slip and fall and get run over by the train. Since 60 ft cars like the R160A and R160B are smaller, the anticlimbers and the storm doors remain properly aligned, making it safer to cross between two cars than any 75 footer car.

Hope this Helps! :)

The L has a sharp curve between Morgan and Montrose. Hypothetically, if it used 75 footers then someone would fall through if they tried to pass between cars at that point.

The L has a sharp curve between Morgan and Montrose. Hypothetically, if it used 75 footers then someone would fall through if they tried to pass between cars at that point.

No, they wouldn't definitely fall through, but it would be quite dangerous to cross.

Yesterday on Queensboro Plaza-bound (7), I got on 4th Car 1709, and got to 1708, then it door to 1707 and 1706 was LOCKED, so I have to use 90th and 82nd St platform to get to next and first car.