MBTA ridership?

Trainspotter

Hectic. Rush hour and noon are packed. Also, especially after a Redsox game gets out. The Green Line and Orange Lines are PACKED. Your lucky to get on a train after a game.

The Purple (Commuter Rail) line is usually fairly decent. During peak hours they are full, but not packed. Stations usually have at lease 10-20 people at them on a weekday, and maybe a maximum of 10 on a weekend. Commuter rails dont conflict with any Redsox games, so they are not packed afterwards.

Buses are not too bad. There are many out there, but fewer passengers take them. So, a full bus is rare, and so is a completely empty bus. (Unless its out of service)

The Blue and Red lines, I couldnt tell you. I rarely take them. I've never been on the blue line, but I want to. Overhead powered instead of 3rd rail. But they are the same cars (basicly) to the Orange line. (Besides the Pantograph units on the tops).

Hectic. Rush hour and noon are packed. Also, especially after a Redsox game gets out. The Green Line and Orange Lines are PACKED. Your lucky to get on a train after a game.

The Purple (Commuter Rail) line is usually fairly decent. During peak hours they are full, but not packed. Stations usually have at lease 10-20 people at them on a weekday, and maybe a maximum of 10 on a weekend. Commuter rails dont conflict with any Redsox games, so they are not packed afterwards.

Buses are not too bad. There are many out there, but fewer passengers take them. So, a full bus is rare, and so is a completely empty bus. (Unless its out of service)

The Blue and Red lines, I couldnt tell you. I rarely take them. I've never been on the blue line, but I want to. Overhead powered instead of 3rd rail. But they are the same cars (basicly) to the Orange line. (Besides the Pantograph units on the tops).

Cool, how about in numbers, like how many people does the system move on a daily basis and also on a yearly basis.

1.1 Million riders daily.

Locale Greater Boston

Transit type Commuter rail, Light rail, Bus, Subway, BRT, Trolleybus, Ferryboat

Began operation 1964

No. of lines

13 (Commuter rail)

5 (Light rail)

4 (Subway)

3 (Trolleybus)

4 (Ferryboat)

183 (Bus)

No. of stations

123 (rail)

74 (light rail)

51 (subway)

22 (BRT)

Daily ridership

1.1 million (weekday, all modes)

Operator

MBTA (most bus, subway, BRT, trolleybus, light rail)

----

MBCR (commuter rail)**

----

Harbor Express/Boston Harbor Cruises (Boat)

----

various contractors (700-series bus routes)

** A division of the MBTA

MBCR Operates the BET (Boston Engine Terminal) That houses its hundreds of locomotives and coaches. (Including vintage and MOW equipment)

Riverside Terminal is owned by MBTA, this houses Green Line MOW equipment.

Wellington Terminal is owned by MBTA, and this houses all the Orange Line equipment, gear and recently the Blue Line's new Subway cars. ***

Oh, and Boston had the first successful subway system in America :)

[info from my knowledge and help of Wikipedia]

*** If you look at my thread about the MOW track work, the terminal is pictured there.

Archived