Amtrak borrowing equipment to provide capacity.

metsfan

HHP8 run the heavier trains all day on the northeast corridor, but when an acela train has problems, hhp8 locomotives come to take the passengers in a shorter train.

If you look in my photo posts you can see them with a vermonter, regional, silver service, carolinian etc. They will all most always be pulling a longer train, vs the aem-7 which can be seen with trains as short as 3 cars in service.

You 2 should look at some wikipedia pages on amtrak electric operations, the hhp8, aem7, amfleet etc etc.

- A

This is not always the case. Amtrak would rather have an HHP pulling long trains because of the power. As you all know the HHP took the place of the mighty E60. But really look at some photo, you also have AEM7 that can pull long trains. I've been seeing alot of AEM7 on long haul trains like 92,98,97 and 91 with no problem. It doesnt matter what pulls it, they use whatever they have. They only AEM7 I wouldnt do that with is a DC motor.

Oh, okay...

Oh, okay again... But, I also saw NJT borrow MNR equiptment in one photo of Hobokon Term. somewhere around this forum... If it is serving West Hudson service don't bother replying...

They don't borrow it. It operates from hoboken all the time.

- A

This is not always the case. Amtrak would rather have an HHP pulling long trains because of the power. As you all know the HHP took the place of the mighty E60. But really look at some photo, you also have AEM7 that can pull long trains. I've been seeing alot of AEM7 on long haul trains like 92,98,97 and 91 with no problem. It doesnt matter what pulls it, they use whatever they have. They only AEM7 I wouldnt do that with is a DC motor.

True, the aem-7 isn't a wimp, just takes longer to accelerate with the longer trains, braking is a bit off too. Little loco moving big train = lots of correction.

- A

Archived