Status of R-32 subway cars as of January 3, 2009

Joseph Lee

I heard that all remaining R32s are going to be transferred over to 207/Pitkin this weekend. Is that true?

that is not going to happen. otherwise, that would mean all remaining R38s would retire and the R40 retirement would begin today. there are still over 100 R32s at jamaica and not enough R160s have entered service yet to displace them.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that the Mods would last until 2010, not the R32s. Through the budget cuts, I think there would be enough Mods for the C since certain trains would be cut on the timetable.

I guessed that the R32s are getting out this Fall. The Mods would continue till around Quarter 1 of next year, probably.

I think that the Mods would last until 2010, not the R32s. Through the budget cuts, I think there would be enough Mods for the C since certain trains would be cut on the timetable.

no, by this time next year, all R32s-R42s will be retired. R40Ms are set to go in November 2009 and R42s will end in December or January.

I doubt the C will run either 600 foot trains or 75 footers in the near future.

We have to see what will happen after all the SMEEs are gone.

what can the (C) get when the R44s become the oldest cars in the system?

no, by this time next year, all R32s-R42s will be retired. R40Ms are set to go in November 2009 and R42s will end in December or January.

what can the (C) get when the R44s become the oldest cars in the system?

Where do you get all of your information?

They should get the R46s since they've done so well on local lines in the past. The R44s can stay on the A, who wouldn't want Westinghouse motors on the express?

We will have to wait till Fall to be certain about what WILL happen.

Where do you get all of your information?

We will have to wait till Fall to be certain about what WILL happen.

i get my information from most transit workers. they gave out the same general information, but there are some who are way off and i do not believe me, unlike Kexpress. He was naive enough to believe every employee he talks to and therefore, got banned for lying and giving out false or misleading information. It was impossible for the R32s to retire by December 2008 or the R42s to remain in service until 2015. i never understood why he hates the sleek and shiny R32s or why he loves those rusted tin can R42s

i get my information from most transit workers. they gave out the same general information, but there are some who are way off and i do not believe me, unlike Kexpress. He was naive enough to believe every employee he talks to and therefore, got banned for lying and giving out false or misleading information. It was impossible for the R32s to retire by December 2008 or the R42s to remain in service until 2015. i never understood why he hates the sleek and shiny R32s or why he loves those rusted tin can R42s

Since when are the R32 shiny and sleek?

Since when are the R42 rusted tin cans?

BOTH ARE SHINY, I WOULD ASSUME. THEY'RE BOTH MADE OUT OF THE SAME THING.

If I were you, I would wait until NorthEastern T/O shares the info here. Since the car assignments are getting more and more erratic, I can't believe anything 100%, because they may change all of a sudden. When the train crews here give us information that they have, I would pay more attention.

Yeah, FlushingExpress, you really should consider hiding your extreme love or hate for certain cars, it sparks unnecessary controversy and flame wars.

both are not made out of the same thing. R32s are pure stainless steel while R42s are a mix of stainless and carbon steel. that is why R32s look at lot better than R42s even though they are 5 years older.

Exactly, how are R32 shiny?

All the old trains (R32-R42), has some trains taped up. But some are also still holding strong.

some are strong, some are not, but overall, R32s look a lot better than the St Louis cars.

If I were you, I would wait until NorthEastern T/O shares the info here. Since the car assignments are getting more and more erratic, I can't believe anything 100%, because they may change all of a sudden. When the train crews here give us information that they have, I would pay more attention.

Yeah, FlushingExpress, you really should consider hiding your extreme love or hate for certain cars, it sparks unnecessary controversy and flame wars.

i do not know why i cause disagreements when i express what cars i like. everyone has their own opinions. i frankly would not care if you like a type of car i really hate.

Differing opinions are the whole cause of flame wars. You've called the R44 ugly soda cans in at least 5 threads.

Not just that, it is when people on both sides are too firm on their opinions. That is what triggers the flame wars. I want to prevent future flame wars from erupting around this forum, so I highly advise that you, FlushingExpress, should drop the names such as "ugly soda cans" or "rusted tin cans" to prevent flame wars from erupting. I know the R44s are not much to look at and that they don't have the best performance, but that does not mean that you have the right to call them "ugly soda cans", it's over dramatising the situation.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77a Safari/525.20)

Not just that, it is when people on both sides are too firm on their opinions. That is what triggers the flame wars. I want to prevent future flame wars from erupting around this forum, so I highly advise that you, FlushingExpress, should drop the names such as "ugly soda cans" or "rusted tin cans" to prevent flame wars from erupting. I know the R44s are not much to look at and that they don't have the best performance, but that does not mean that you have the right to call them "ugly soda cans", it's over dramatising the situation.

It's a more fancier way to say it

The people who start flame wars are those who choose to hate and ***** over a train not because you give it a descriptive name

But that's just me..

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77a Safari/525.20)

It's a more fancier way to say it

The people who start flame wars are those who choose to hate and ***** over a train not because you give it a descriptive name

But that's just me..

Fancier to say what?

And hey, exactly, people HATE certain trains and this leads to the opinions being thrown back and forth. Then a flame war kicks in.

Back to the subject.

R32 subway cars are the shiny bright liners of the BMT-IND, with their ribbed sides and ends, and same goes for the R38 cars. I am going to miss the train's shining reflection of the sun and how bright they stand out from the rest. R32 subway cars, by all means are the best stainless steel cars to be retired today. Those I'll admit, I'll miss the most.

To add to this the seating is very comfortable. These trains have come a long way and I'm going to miss them. Anyways I hope that the R32 cars can continue to provide the service that they have continued for 40+ years. They stood strong and they continue to stand strong today, serving passengers at its best.

Here's my only photo of the R32, on the (B) in Brighton Beach, on the Coney-Island Bound platform. February 2007.

R32onB-1.jpg

R32 subway cars are the shiny bright liners of the BMT-IND, with their ribbed sides and ends, and same goes for the R38 cars. I am going to miss the train's shining reflection of the sun and how bright they stand out from the rest. R32 subway cars, by all means are the best stainless steel cars to be retired today. Those I'll admit, I'll miss the most.

To add to this the seating is very comfortable. These trains have come a long way and I'm going to miss them. Anyways I hope that the R32 cars can continue to provide the service that they have continued for 40+ years. They stood strong and they continue to stand strong today, serving passengers at its best.

Here's my only photo of the R32, on the (B) in Brighton Beach, on the Coney-Island Bound platform. February 2007.

R32onB-1.jpg

Oh yeah I remember R32s on the B in 2007, I was on the D train going to Bedford Park Blvd and I saw such a train at Tremont going on the MIDDLE TRACK! This was during the early morning! When the D is supposed to be the Concourse Express!

Oh yeah I remember R32s on the B in 2007, I was on the D train going to Bedford Park Blvd and I saw such a train at Tremont going on the MIDDLE TRACK! This was during the early morning! When the D is supposed to be the Concourse Express!

R32 (B) trains were rare, and if you did catch one, you were very lucky. I rode an R32 (B) train like only 10 times, and you can only ride on it so many times, before you're like "Gosh I missed that opportunity, and it's never going to come back" I did see an R32 running on the (W) as well as the (Q), but about only one set each time the (Q) and (W) used them, the (Q) and (W) used the R32 in 2004.

R32 (B) trains were rare, and if you did catch one, you were very lucky. I rode an R32 (B) train like only 10 times, and you can only ride on it so many times, before you're like "Gosh I missed that opportunity, and it's never going to come back" I did see an R32 running on the (W) as well as the (Q), but about only one set each time the (Q) and (W) used them, the (Q) and (W) used the R32 in 2004.

yes, i remember back at lincoln, you told me you saw a (Q) using an R32, but i did not believe you until i saw one myself the following summer. the (Q) also used R32s after September 11th since Brighton customers cannot stand the R46s. in 2005, the Coney Island R32s were sent back to the (N) like they were before the closing of Coney Island Stillwell Avenue. when the R160s entered revenue service, the R32s were moved to the (B) and (W) and i was so surprised to see an R32 on the (B), i overjoyced. unfortunately, it was short lived as more and more R160s entered, all the Coney Island R32s were moved to Jamaica to replace the GE R32s while the Coney Island R42s were sent directly to the ocean.

Where exactly are these surveys that ask customers which train car type they prefer?

I'm pretty sure the majority of riders, IE: non transit buffs, only refer to the trains, the few times that it would come up in a conversation, as:

1. "The older ones with the gray seats."

2. "The kinda new looking ones with the orange seats."

3. "The brand new ones that talk to you".

I'm pretty sure most people off hand cant tell the difference between a R68 and R46.

Random statement of the day:

I was once at 71st and Continental talking to a C/R on break, and he told me the R32's dont do too great in the cold, hence why they are mainly on lines that stay underground. I dunno how factual that is, but he was an older gentleman who seemed very knowledgable and informed. Told me how they did the relay for the locals at 71st and what not. This was a few years ago now.

yes, i remember back at lincoln, you told me you saw a (Q) using an R32, but i did not believe you until i saw one myself the following summer. the (Q) also used R32s after September 11th since Brighton customers cannot stand the R46s.

I think R32 fans should get real about something. 9 out of 10 regular subway riders prefer the R46 to the R32. The R32s, though in decent cosmetic shape, look old, are loud, and just aren't usually preferred over a quieter, more modern, smoother-riding car like the R46. Now, Brighton riders may prefer the R68 to the R46, that would make sense. In my over 30 years of riding the R46, I've met few who dislike the train. It's only the railfan type that seems not to care for the R44/R46 for whatever reason.

Archived