Status of R-32 subway cars as of January 3, 2009

Joseph Lee

I think R32 fans should get real about something. 9 out of 10 regular subway riders prefer the R46 to the R32. The R32s, though in decent cosmetic shape, look old, are loud, and just aren't usually preferred over a quieter, more modern, smoother-riding car like the R46. Now, Brighton riders may prefer the R68 to the R46, that would make sense. In my over 30 years of riding the R46, I've met few who dislike the train. It's only the railfan type that seems not to care for the R44/R46 for whatever reason.

the R46s first entered service on the Brighton Line, but adjacent residents complained about the noise, so they were sent to the (E) and (F) and that is why R46s are barred from Brighton for life. i remember catching an R46 (Q) train a week after September 11th since it was replacing the (R) in Queens, but i guess residents still hated the noise and that is why the (E) and (Q) swapped cars. the (E) became entirely R46s while the (Q) was entirely R32s. R32s have made appearances on the Brighton Line in the past and present. noise complaints is also why the (B) and (Q6) swapped cars in 1997.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think R32 fans should get real about something. 9 out of 10 regular subway riders prefer the R46 to the R32. The R32s, though in decent cosmetic shape, look old, are loud, and just aren't usually preferred over a quieter, more modern, smoother-riding car like the R46. Now, Brighton riders may prefer the R68 to the R46, that would make sense. In my over 30 years of riding the R46, I've met few who dislike the train. It's only the railfan type that seems not to care for the R44/R46 for whatever reason.

I noticed the same thing in regards to your R44/46 statement. A lot of railfans dislike the R44/46's for no good reason. There very nice cars IMO, comfy seats, pefect lighting, quiet door motors(On the 44's) and window seats.

R32 (B) trains were rare, and if you did catch one, you were very lucky. I rode an R32 (B) train like only 10 times, and you can only ride on it so many times, before you're like "Gosh I missed that opportunity, and it's never going to come back" I did see an R32 running on the (W) as well as the (Q), but about only one set each time the (Q) and (W) used them, the (Q) and (W) used the R32 in 2004.

Totally. I was took into surprise when I saw the R32s on the B.

I totally agree with you, bsmith.

Many railfans would prefer the older equipment because of the railfan window. The typical straphanger would prefer new equipment because of the audibility of the announcements, whether the ride is smooth or not, cleanliness, efficiency and general rider-friendliness. The demands of the typical straphanger are at times, very different from the demands of certain railfans.

noise complaints is also why the (:) and (Q6) swapped cars in 1997.
The B and Q switched cars actually because the B riders were complaining about the R40s making too much noise on the West End, not the Brighton. Remember, the Q was all R68As prior to 1997 and they have no noise problems on the Brighton.

The B and Q switched cars actually because the B riders were complaining about the R40s making too much noise on the West End, not the Brighton. Remember, the Q was all R68As prior to 1997 and they have no noise problems on the Brighton.

i knew that. i also caught an occasional R68 on the (Q6) labeled still labelled <Q>. R68/68As are going back on the (:) Brighton Express now.

It is awfully rare to catch a (Q) with <Q>.

what do you mean?

in the early 90s, it was R68 <Q> and then R68A(Q) in 1996 (with the (D) using exclusively R68s). in june of 1997, it become r68A (Q6), but quickly turned to R32/R40/R40M (Q6) the following October.

unless you are talking about catching the current (Q) that has a <Q> sign on one of its cars. that actually happens quite often.

what do you mean?

in the early 90s, it was R68 <Q> and then R68A(Q) in 1996 (with the (D) using exclusively R68s). in june of 1997, it become r68A (Q6), but quickly turned to R32/R40/R40M (Q6) the following October.

unless you are talking about catching the current (Q) that has a <Q> sign on one of its cars. that actually happens quite often.

As of right now!

Think before you write!

what do you mean?

He meant the rollsign!

No s**t, Sherlock.

Archived