R40M's on (E)

MattTrain

ah...you finally caught it...you get my text on New Years eve?

Yup, finally did. Having boarded at the southernmost end at crowded 14th St, I didn't even realize it had R-40M's mixed in until I got off at 95th. Also believe I may have come in contact with a foamer on it ... and one who follows ... more on this later.

Thanks, just got the New Years eve pic, had to go online to retrieve it, so I forgot about til now.

Yup, finally did. Having boarded at the southernmost end at crowded 14th St, I didn't even realize it had R-40M's mixed in until I got off at 95th. Also believe I may have come in contact with a foamer on it ... and one who follows ... more on this later.

Thanks, just got the New Years eve pic, had to go online to retrieve it, so I forgot about til now.

Uh oh...feel free to PM me tEh gOrY dEtAiLs of that "encountter"...:eek:

no, R32s are still on the (E). i saw seven sets today. not sure about the (R), though. only saw one R32 on the (F), so R32s are still more common on the (E) than (F)

There's a good amount of R32s on the (F). As with the (E), could be 4 one day, 6 the next, 1 the next. You are right, the R46 is the most common train on the (F), R42/R40Ms are rare. The R42 and now R40M or combo of the two are the most common on the (E), followed by the R32, and that will change as more R160s come into service on the (E) (R32s will go to Pitkin). From what I understand, the MTA wants the R32 out of Jamaica by the Spring, due to the HVAC problems (heat's OK, not a/c). But the R42s have all sorts of problems, stuck doors, stuck brakes, and other problems. Whatever happens, the R32s are going to be a problem on any line come summer.

There's a good amount of R32s on the (F). As with the (E), could be 4 one day, 6 the next, 1 the next. You are right, the R46 is the most common train on the (F), R42/R40Ms are rare. The R42 and now R40M or combo of the two are the most common on the (E), followed by the R32, and that will change as more R160s come into service on the (E) (R32s will go to Pitkin). From what I understand, the MTA wants the R32 out of Jamaica by the Spring, due to the HVAC problems (heat's OK, not a/c). But the R42s have all sorts of problems, stuck doors, stuck brakes, and other problems. Whatever happens, the R32s are going to be a problem on any line come summer.

Not True, In august of 2008 when I took the Last R32 (A) train the A/C was good, Jamaica is very poor at doing HVAC unit's and Then the R42's came their systems started to act up, How Much I bet this summer coming up, Take an R32 on the (A)/© lines then you will see what I mean, Jamaica treated the R32's like pure shit and I still blame them for the R32 Phase II retirement, They are treating the R42 like shit, soon the R46's will be the next victim of abuse since they got the R160's now, That's why pitkin and 207th is trying to get the R46's to the (A) soon as possible, Pitkin did not want to give up their R32's in 2008 but they had no choice, If you ride an R42 on the (E) this summer ( 3-5 sets due to R160's coming in) then they will have the same problem. So you can say that the R32's will have a problem, A I don't think so, Pitkin/207th st takes good care of them and I thank god that they came out of the Jamaica (HELL!!!) yard.

I agree with you. Jamaica treats their cars like crap (except for the R46s and 160s, for now). It seemed like all of the Pitkin/207 Cars that were in Jamaica had no A/C. Pitkin and 207 St Yards are very good with their cars. I can count the number of times these trains were out of service or without A/C or Heat.

Not True, In august of 2008 when I took the Last R32 (A) train the A/C was good, Jamaica is very poor at doing HVAC... I thank god that they came out of the Jamaica (HELL!!!) yard.

I agree with you. Jamaica treats their cars like crap (except for the R46s and 160s, for now). It seemed like all of the Pitkin/207 Cars that were in Jamaica had no A/C. Pitkin and 207 St Yards are very good with their cars. I can count the number of times these trains were out of service or without A/C or Heat.

Cars not running well from the Jamaica Yard? I didn't know this, I usually have good rides with the (E) train cars, but I do remember the A/C's not working well with the R32s. The (F)(R) and (V) trains I had no issue with, maybe it's just the (E). Nowadays with the R40M and R42 on the (E), everything's great. You don't have to agree with this, but I do agree with some air conditioning issues. Anyways if you want to see an R40M running on the (E), check out the video I posted in this thread.

Jamaicia YD is kind of bad but they can't get 100% of the blame since there is so much they can do. They are responsible for the whole fleet on the (E)(F)(G)(R)(V) Line and 70% of the fleet don't even make it to the Yard. The cars that do get checked and worked on if they notice a problem but there bread and better is the R46 they get top Priority over the R32/40/42. Now with New R160's it will get worst since they need top Pri. Now 207/PIT they do a great job but then again they split there work when it comes to maintaining equipment on the (A)(C) Lines and most trains make it to the YD exept for a few trains.

Jamaicia YD is kind of bad but they can't get 100% of the blame since there is so much they can do. They are responsible for the whole fleet on the (E)(F)(G)(R)(V) Line and 70% of the fleet don't even make it to the Yard. The cars that do get checked and worked on if they notice a problem but there bread and better is the R46 they get top Priority over the R32/40/42. Now with New R160's it will get worst since they need top Pri. Now 207/PIT they do a great job but then again they split there work when it comes to maintaining equipment on the (A)(C) Lines and most trains make it to the YD exept for a few trains.

That's a good explanation, on the (E)(F)(G)(R)(V) trains at Jamaica Yard. I've seen the depot there, it doesn't look like it can handle such large fleets at one time, but I could be wrong about that.

Not True, In august of 2008 when I took the Last R32 (A) train the A/C was good, Jamaica is very poor at doing HVAC unit's and Then the R42's came their systems started to act up, How Much I bet this summer coming up, Take an R32 on the (A)/© lines then you will see what I mean, Jamaica treated the R32's like pure shit and I still blame them for the R32 Phase II retirement, They are treating the R42 like shit, soon the R46's will be the next victim of abuse since they got the R160's now, That's why pitkin and 207th is trying to get the R46's to the (A) soon as possible, Pitkin did not want to give up their R32's in 2008 but they had no choice, If you ride an R42 on the (E) this summer ( 3-5 sets due to R160's coming in) then they will have the same problem. So you can say that the R32's will have a problem, A I don't think so, Pitkin/207th st takes good care of them and I thank god that they came out of the Jamaica (HELL!!!) yard.

I agree that Jamaica didn't treat the R32 as well as Pitkin. I always thought the Phase 2s were somewhat smoother in operation than the Phase 1s. Now, for the R42, no yard could treat it any worse than E NY. They are in horrid condition in almost every way. I think the R46s aren't bad at all. I do think that Jamaica doesn't seem to prioritize the oldest equipment. Problem is the busiest line, the (E), is using the oldest equipment for the next few months for most of the 26 trains and it needs to work. So, R32 fans, you should be pleased to see the R32s out of Jamaica and at a yard that has proven to maintain them better. But there are still 160 or so of them there.

so had it not been for stupid jamaica, all 590 MK R32s would still be in service and the R38s and R40 slants would have all been retired by now.

I got a R-46 (E) back in December. Also caught R-42/R-40M (E) as well...

There are a few sets of R46s appearing on the E during rush hours. But for now, the main fleet composition of the E line is: R40M/R42 (predominately mixed sets), R32s (a few trains around 5-7 based on other's accounts) and the R160s (which are set to appear in bunches soon).

I agree with you, Jamaica Yard does poor maintenance compared to 207th/Pitkin. The thing is, when the A and C were using R32s, the R32s were maintained better because the lines had yards on either end of the line. Meanwhile, the E, F, G, R and V (5 LINES!!!!!!) are all sharing one yard, whose facilities are rather limited. It can't maintain every single car properly.

Archived