Least favorite car?

duelingdragons

R44s: nothing but ugly soda cans that have too much air in the brakes along with all sorts of other problems that killed the St. Louis Car Company.

R42s (second worst): rusted tin cans with ugly interiors. they got beaten up a lot during the 20 years they spent on the Jamaica Line.

R44&46 - I just don't like the way they look, sound, and smell.

R42 - It's so dark and dirty.

R160 - They're loud, they're not very well designed (annoying pole makes it difficult for 3 people to sit on each side of the bench), they replaced my R40S and R68's on the (N).

R44&46 - I just don't like the way they look, sound, and smell.

R42 - It's so dark and dirty.

R160 - They're loud, they're not very well designed (annoying pole makes it difficult for 3 people to sit on each side of the bench), they replaced my R40S and R68's on the (N).

R160s are one of the most quiet cars in revenue service when operating, what about R142s and their HVACs?

R160s are one of the most quiet cars in revenue service when operating, what about R142s and their HVACs?

Yeah, I hear about R142's loudness all the time but I rarely ever ride IRT lines.

When you live right above the Sea Beach open cut you'd know how loud R160's are. And I also need to turn my MP3 a little louder on the 160's than when I ride the R68/A's to listen to the same thing, so I'm not basing this out of nothing.

R44's operating cab is TOO tight!! The master controller WILL pop up on you if yur not careful.. The R68A's 5000 series are a POS!! If you take a break,you better hold it because if you release it,yur not getting it back!That train has a mind of it's own.

I love the R44/R46, absolute favorites. Stunning when they were new in terms of quietness, smoothness, freshness from the old guard.

I have to say the R32 because it downgraded the E line from the R46s that were used exclusively in the 1980s. However, the R32 is a great car. It seats 50, has sensibly placed poles, has an incredibly durable body, ran strong for years. The R62 seems so-so to me. It seems noisy-ish, bumpy-ish for such a relatively recent train, it's cousin the R68 is quieter and smoother. Both of them feel heavy, especially the 68.

Not blown away with the R143/R160. They feel small inside and too bright. They follow the current design language for trains, white walls, blue seats, silver, gray/blue/black flooring, red and amber digital signs. A bit sterile. One thing I love is on some R142, R160s, the 3 note propulsion start up sound (2 and E uses them, whatever propulsion system that is). Sounds like "Somewhere". Musical trains put a smile on my face.

Yeah, I hear about R142's loudness all the time but I rarely ever ride IRT lines.

When you live right above the Sea Beach open cut you'd know how loud R160's are. And I also need to turn my MP3 a little louder on the 160's than when I ride the R68/A's to listen to the same thing, so I'm not basing this out of nothing.

There are different R142s. Some have louder traction motors than others. Some have louder HVACs than others.

Since the R44 in 1971, subway trains haven't become dramatically quieter. The R44 was over the R42 and predecessors. The R68 and R142/R160 don't seem that much quieter than the R44/R46s (from the inside). Try a recent SMS R46. It's quiet. R68s with trucks in good shape are quiet. On the IRT side, I find the R142s considerably smoother and quieter than the R62s.

Archived