Express buses over the Goethals

Harry

True Harry. Some Selected Staten Island Express routes travel to Manhattan Via the Goethals Bridge/ NJ Turnpike/ and the Lincoln Tunnel. Its been happening now for, I would say at least 4 -5 years. They figured since the Staten Island/Brooklyn/Manhattan Route can ALWAYS hit traffic ( Gowanus) they would go around that problem.

Nothing out the ordinary there Harry. As Zach said, they've been doing that for a few years now. The X17 and X21 don't run on weekends anyway so thats why you don't see it when you drive over the Goethals on weekends. There are also some express buses that travel to Manhattan via Bayonne Bridge into NJ, then NJTP and I guess the Holland back into NY.

True Harry. Some Selected Staten Island Express routes travel to Manhattan Via the Goethals Bridge/ NJ Turnpike/ and the Lincoln Tunnel. Its been happening now for, I would say at least 4 -5 years. They figured since the Staten Island/Brooklyn/Manhattan Route can ALWAYS hit traffic ( Gowanus) they would go around that problem.

Nothing out the ordinary there Harry. As Zach said, they've been doing that for a few years now. The X17 and X21 don't run on weekends anyway so thats why you don't see it when you drive over the Goethals on weekends. There are also some express buses that travel to Manhattan via Bayonne Bridge into NJ, then NJTP and I guess the Holland back into NY.

But I start off by driving into New Jersey on Friday afternoon and I still never noticed them crossing over. It's very possible it was the timing when I crossed on all those Friday's. Thanks for the input guys.

It's not just because of traffic, but also time. Staten Island itself is closer to N.J.. Express buses from the Western Side of Staten Island, get to NYC faster by using the NJTP. When I drove charter buses, if I picked up a group in Mid-Town Manhattan and had to go to the Western Side is STI, I would sometimes go out the Lincoln Tunnel then take the NJTP. If I left the garage in the Bronx to pick up a group in STI, I would go over the GWB to the NJTP. It's faster.

Archived