Something cool about the R160's

Maserati7200

As we all know, the R160's weren't on the (E) until recently. The (E) is the first IND line to get R160's. Previously R160's only appeared on lines that are purely BMT. The (N), (Q), (W), (J), (M), and (Z) are 100% BMT lines. Now, the IND gets a go with R160's. If you guys are gonna say that the (A) had them in September 2006, that was a 30 day test, nothing permanent.

The countdown to the R160A/B on the (F) begins. There's only two R160 trains on the (E) now, and harder to catch a ride on it, by my experience. The R160 on the (E) is always going the opposite direction I'm riding the R32 or R42 (E).

Omg, the same thing happens to me. When I went to Manhattan last Friday, the R160 was at Union Turnpike going to Jamaica. On the way back, it was at Van Wyck Blvd going to Manhattan. Its all luck and timing I guess.

Also, I believe that the (F) will get them eventually. The set that the (F) uses is a different set from what the (E) uses therefore probably making up the third set for Jamaica.

Omg, the same thing happens to me. When I went to Manhattan last Friday, the R160 was at Union Turnpike going to Jamaica. On the way back, it was at Van Wyck Blvd going to Manhattan. Its all luck and timing I guess.

Also, I believe that the (F) will get them eventually. The set that the (F) uses is a different set from what the (E) uses therefore probably making up the third set for Jamaica.

Yup, the countdown begins... Well, if you want a good chance to catch a R-160 (E) try Lexington Ave-53rd St station, otherwise try W.T.C., Jamaica-Van Wyck, Jamaica-Sutphin or Jamaica-Parsons/Archer...

It takes luck and timing. Waiting at terminal (E) stops such as World Trade Center and Jamaica Center probably won't be effective, because I could be waiting as much as an hour and I don't want fellow (E) riders to think I'm doing something suspicious. Maybe Lexington Avenue-53rd Street, and Jamaica Van Wyck would be a good idea. ;) Thanks for your info.

The countdown to the R160A/B on the (F) begins. There's only two R160 trains on the (E) now, and harder to catch a ride on it, by my experience. The R160 on the (E) is always going the opposite direction I'm riding the R32 or R42 (E).

Wow... you should wait near a terminus for the R160. I got a second ride on the R160 at World Trade Centre on Monday. I came back from visiting Ground Zero, and when I got to the platform, I heard the Alstom Propulsion! And I'm like HOLY CRAP! That was pure luck!

Based on my intel on the R160s and TheJoeKorner's car assignments, 430 R160s are going to Jamaica Yard. 260 of them will fill up on the E (the E runs 26 trains), I am guessing that the remaining sets 17 trains in total, will go to the F. So yeah, the F will get them eventually.

Although they will likely hit the (F) first, an R-160 was seen testing on the (R) N/B express track at Pacific St a few weeks ago. So that would be another "BMT & IND" line which might run some R-160s in near future.

Interesting! However, remember that the R160s were tested on the B line, however AFAIK, there are no official plans to run those cars on the B line.

Yup, the countdown begins... Well, if you want a good chance to catch a R-160 (E) try Lexington Ave-53rd St station, otherwise try W.T.C., Jamaica-Van Wyck, Jamaica-Sutphin or Jamaica-Parsons/Archer...

My comment above says it all, and yes for the (F), but they can use different car anytime...

Well, the R-160 is mainly covering the spaces the R-32, R-38, R-40, R-40M and R-42 left. So expect it to go on the (F) and (R) anytime, (V) may also run it...

F running R160s is highly likely. There is a rare possibility that the R will run them as well, I am pretty sure the V is NOT going to run them at all.

What's really cool is that the IND division is running solely R160As!! In the future, it's gonna really quiet under Queens Blvd and 8th Avenue.

I can't be 100% sure that the A/C lines are getting R160s in the future.

They are not running soley R160As, you still have hippos on the D and the R44s on the A, the R46s at Jamaica.

Interesting! However, remember that the R160s were tested on the B line, however AFAIK, there are no official plans to run those cars on the B line.

I don't know if it would be in keeping with NYCTF's Rules & Terms of Use to post a link, but I found the thread from another board which reported it. It was seen by well known and trusted poster from that board. Just to sum it up, it was seen burn testing on 12/16/08 at 1447 hrs at Lawrence St signed as an (R) to 71/Continental. The interesting thing is that this train was on the N/B express track at Pacific St across from an in-service (R). Car #s from the north were 9238/9/40/41/42 and 9233/34/35/36/37 (2 units).

Of course, they might just be burn testing so that in the event Jamaica puts one into (R) service, it will be good to go.

R160B's are supposed to eventually run on the (E) and (F) in the future, so I don't think that R160A's will dominate the IND, meaning whichever lines use them.

Which brings up this point, why intermix the R160A-2 with the R160B cars? I somehow ride the (N)(Q) and (W) R160B train car, without realizing the other half of that R160 train is R160A-2 cars. Maybe because the traction motors are the same, but the doors are very different.

As we all know, the R160's weren't on the (E) until recently. The (E) is the first IND line to get R160's. Previously R160's only appeared on lines that are purely BMT. The (N), (Q), (W), (J), (M), and (Z) are 100% BMT lines. Now, the IND gets a go with R160's. If you guys are gonna say that the (A) had them in September 2006, that was a 30 day test, nothing permanent.

You Forgot the (L).

R160B's are supposed to eventually run on the (E) and (F) in the future, so I don't think that R160A's will dominate the IND, meaning whichever lines use them.

Which brings up this point, why intermix the R160A-2 with the R160B cars? I somehow ride the (N)(Q) and (W) R160B train car, without realizing the other half of that R160 train is R160A-2 cars. Maybe because the traction motors are the same, but the doors are very different.

And R160As.

It is the traction motors. The R160A's & the R160B (8713-8842, 9103-9242) uses Alstom Onix traction motors while the R160B (8843-9102) uses Siemens traction motors.

You Forgot the (L).

And R160As.

Yeah, I did forget the (L) Oops, I must have thought too fast, I do know that R160A's run on the (L).

Did I forget mentioning that R160A's run on the (E) already, or eventually on the (F)? Oops, sorry, the option order R160B's are in the 9120's now.

Yeah, I did forget the (L) Oops, I must have thought too fast, I do know that R160A's run on the (L).

Did I forget mentioning that R160A's run on the (E) already, or eventually on the (F)? Oops, sorry, the option order R160B's are in the 9120's now.

Up to 9122 are in service. Up to 9142 are at property.

However that is R160B for Coney Island.

9163-9232 will be for Jamaica.

9163-9232 will be for Jamaica.

Really? That means CIY has to wait until option 2 comes (next year) to have it's lines that consist of R160's fully R160. The (Q) is about 30-60% R160's (depends on the day) the (N) is about 95% R160's (I caught an R68 (N) train on Tuesday) and the (W) has a significant amount of R68/R68A's on it. The lines are not complete yet. Why does the (MTA) not finish a yard then go to the next one?

Really? That means CIY has to wait until option 2 comes (next year) to have it's lines that consist of R160's fully R160. The (Q) is about 30-60% R160's (depends on the day) the (N) is about 95% R160's (I caught an R68 (N) train on Tuesday) and the (W) has a significant amount of R68/R68A's on it. The lines are not complete yet. Why does the (MTA) not finish a yard then go to the next one?

There are different manufacturers: Alstom, Kawasaki, some with Simens propulsion, some with Alstom-onix. I would think that the orders and options come in at different times. The five-car R-160B's went to CIY, four-car R-160A's went to ENY, now there are five-car R-160A–2's some of which are are going to CIY others to Jamaica. Correct me if I'm wrong, I've started to lose track at this point, but I would think that's why they're not filling one yard at a time. Also, there isn't any rush to have the (N)(Q) & (W) lines 100% R-160. Even after all of the R-160s are at CIY (I don't know if that's happened yet), I don't know if it's set in stone that those three lines will never again see R-68/A's. Aren't the only remaining SMEE's at CIY the handful of slants on the (:)?

CIY is only set to get up to 9162. The rest of the order after that will go to Jamaica. I'm seeing 9120's on the road now, and if 9140's are on the property, there's only a few more sets to go. (And that would be just enough to replace the remainder of the slants).

Archived