Something cool about the R160's

Maserati7200

There are different manufacturers: Alstom, Kawasaki, some with Simens propulsion, some with Alstom-onix.

I know.

The five-car R-160B's went to CIY, four-car R-160A's went to ENY, now there are five-car R-160A–2's some of which are are going to CIY others to Jamaica.

Okay, why do those R160A-2's go to Jamaica instead of finishing off CIY's lines ((N)(Q)(W))?

Really? That means CIY has to wait until option 2 comes (next year) to have it's lines that consist of R160's fully R160. The (Q) is about 30-60% R160's (depends on the day) the (N) is about 95% R160's (I caught an R68 (N) train on Tuesday) and the (W) has a significant amount of R68/R68A's on it. The lines are not complete yet. Why does the (MTA) not finish a yard then go to the next one?

I have said this over and over:

The N runs 23 trains

The Q runs 18 trains

The W runs 10 trains

23 x 10 = 230 cars

18 x 10 = 180 cars

10 x 10 = 100 cars

Total: 510 cars

R160A Base Order:

8653-8712 60 cars

R160B Base Order:

8713-8972 260 cars

R160B Option 1 Order:

8973-9162 190 cars

Add 60 + 260 + 190, they make 510. It all fits. So, the N, Q and W are ideally fully covered when all of these cars arrive.

I know.

Oh.

Okay, why do those R160A-2's go to Jamaica instead of finishing off CIY's lines ((N)(Q)(W))?

I didn't know there was any need or plan to finish off the rest of the lines based out of CIY. I also wouldn't expect to see R-160s fill all of the lines (aside from the N,Q,W) based out of CIY unless there is a large fleet swap involving R-68/As, which as of now, there isn't.

When you guys talk about them testing, lets say an R-160 on a specific line. What are they actually testing for????

If it works on other lines, why should it not work anywhere else in the system.....thanks.

The crews are testing the trains to see if they function properly, such as doors and traction motors.

When you guys talk about them testing, lets say an R-160 on a specific line. What are they actually testing for????

If it works on other lines, why should it not work anywhere else in the system.....thanks.

There has to be demand for it and also whether or not it will benefit from it.. also it depends on the yards too.

As of now only East New York, Coney Island and Jamaica has them.

I am not crazy about the R160's. The remind me of The R44,46 and 68's (except for the seating.) They are loud, the railfan window is blurry, and they have those annoying door bells. Not to mention that the automated route map is incorrect half of the time (broken.) I am tired of hearing that boring couple. "The next stop is..." and "stand clear of the closing doors please." Another reason I don't like them is because the MTA wanted to use these cars to eliminate jobs. No motormen or conductor.

I am not crazy about the R160's. The remind me of The R44,46 and 68's (except for the seating.) They are loud, the railfan window is blurry, and they have those annoying door bells. Not to mention that the automated route map is incorrect half of the time (broken.) I am tired of hearing that boring couple. "The next stop is..." and "stand clear of the closing doors please." Another reason I don't like them is because the MTA wanted to use these cars to eliminate jobs. No motormen or conductor.

Get used to it, there would be no more in-your-face railfan windows. Why? Cause there is the full length cab.

No, railfan window at the back or the front anymore, it's okay, the FIND's give me something to look at, when it works properly, most of the time.

Well sure, we will miss the window. However, I said many times, I rather the train crew have the space, then us getting the window. People (I'm not saying what kind of people) may call me selfish however, I firmly believe this arrangement is for the betterment of all. Why?

A full width cab gives the train crew more space to work with. The C/R does not need to cross cars every few stations because of the location of the platform.

Are you sure?

I swear the way "DeKalb Aveune" is said on the (M) and the (N) are different.

Some of the (M)'s announcements might go back to when the (L)'s were recorded for the R-143s.

I'm very sure....b/c she sounds different on the (E) when saying the "The Next Stop Is"!

I would think they just had another recording of it at the time the rest of the (E)'s were recorded.

R160s have a great window to look through the cab!

It's certainly better than most of the R-44–68s. There could have been no view at all, and although it's not as good as the SMEE's, it's something.

Thats true R-160A-2 and R-160B ran on the (N)....I got a video of it

In the beginning of the video where the Brooklyn bound (N) express train arrived and left Times Square-42nd Street thats a R-160A-2/R-160B

R160A-2 and R160B intermixed trains are common on the (N)(Q) and (W). It probably will be common on the (E) and (F) to have R160A-2 and R160B cars on one train if the Jamaica Yard gets R160B trains, in service. That's a good video by the way.

Archived