Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
SubwayGuy

6 line rider report cards (results being collected still)

it's my home line, so I'll make a post about it ;) but they're giving out rider report cards for the (6)...picked mine up and filled it out today.

all in all, 6 line service is pretty good. the main problem areas IMO are inadequate room on board during rush hours (by far the biggst problem), and delays during trips (thank you customers holding the doors and over burdened ATS). the line gets good marks for reasonable wait times for trains (among the best in the system as far as most frequent intervals), overall cleanliness, safety in stations and on trains, good announcements in stations and on trains, and availability of MVM's (i honestly don't get why this doesn't get an A every time aside from most people's general pessimism about everything transit related).

Feel free to post your (6) line feedback here but dont forget to also vote online at mta.info or pick up a report card at your local (6) station...

The good old (6) Line had to but the bullet up after a suprise phone call from (6) Line personal wishing me a early happy Birthday and asking when the hell I am coming back home. I always found as a Rider and former Conductor on the line it runs pretty good for what it has to deal with that makes the line click. When I ride it now its alittle diffrent Newer C/R's on the line and seem to be more gaps then it use to because of ATS and other crack downs such as Speed Enforcements and seems ridership has grown heavier.

When I worked the (6) the whole name of the game was catch your leader and stay on them. The Stations where always packed and your train was packed but hey you had to do what ever it took to get people to step in or out. I was the master of that and I always was on time while if my follower was not as of agressive they got left in the steal dust. Its the Conductor that makes the schedule. However these days it don't pay to be agressive with customer complaints and mgt coming down hard on us for everything. So sometimes Its not worth trying to keep a schedule.

Well one of these days I'll be back on the line but for right now I am enjoying the (V) Line.

it's my home line, so I'll make a post about it ;) but they're giving out rider report cards for the (6)...picked mine up and filled it out today.

all in all, 6 line service is pretty good. the main problem areas IMO are inadequate room on board during rush hours (by far the biggst problem), and delays during trips (thank you customers holding the doors and over burdened ATS). the line gets good marks for reasonable wait times for trains (among the best in the system as far as most frequent intervals), overall cleanliness, safety in stations and on trains, good announcements in stations and on trains, and availability of MVM's (i honestly don't get why this doesn't get an A every time aside from most people's general pessimism about everything transit related).

Feel free to post your (6) line feedback here but dont forget to also vote online at mta.info or pick up a report card at your local (6) station...

what kills the 6 is overcrowding!

(6) trains may be packed, but the frequency of five minutes is good. the R142a's are doing well on the (6).

I just began taking the (6) some months back and I can't really complain. My only issue is that it gets supercrowded at Union Square, but then again, I only take it a couple of stops anyway ;)

The 6 line has declined in quality IMO. It bunches way too much and there are many delays.

yup I gave it a B for service intervals for just that reason (instead of an A which would go with the frequency of service)...a lot of bunching, a train running early will stay early by not taking on a full passenger load (because most of the people got its leader), then 7-8 minutes later a train running a little late will pull in packed to the gills with a full platform waiting. lot of battery runs, especially when there's any kind of disruption (sick passenger etc).

(6) is a rookie line and sometimes you can tell with the way some of the T/O's operate, just not being smooth, or going over curves and switches slower than they need to...the ATS doesn't help things, but even riding you can tell the good T/O's on the line...they're quick, and when they brake, they brake, they don't alternate brake/coast/power while slowly bringing the train to a stop...all of that saves time for the good ones but sometimes that leads to bunching behind them for T/O's that aren't as fast, or if customers start doing things like holding doors, or blocking the doors (which happens all the time).

I like the (6)/<6>. The trains are very frequent during rush hour, and the <6> in the Bronx is pretty fast. I'm not happy about weekend service. The (6) is like the (7); it's heavily used during the weekends as well, and it needs more than 8 minute headways. But 2-4 minute combined Lex Av Local headways make up for that. Sometimes I'll pass up the Lex EXP on the (4) or the (5) and take the (6) just because it'll MOVE. I don't see the bunching or the battery runs, but that is most likely because I don't use it much; I'm sure it happens. It even happens on the (1).