DEP supports turning 600 subway cars into reefs

Trainspotter

DEP supports turning 600 subway cars into reefs

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — Some 600 New York City subway cars will spend the rest of their days down the shore as artificial reefs. Environmental Protection Commissioner Lisa Jackson has told her staff to begin the process of obtaining permits. Jackson says she's satisfied the 35,000-pound cars would make a durable reef habitat that would benefit anglers and divers.

Full story: NJ.COM icon_offsite.png - September 19, 2007

NOOOOO!!!!!!!!1111!!!!! When? I though after the redbirds they were studying the cars for 8-10 years to see what happens to them? And why the R40 slants :rolleyes:, those make me happy. Geez, goodbye subway diversity, hello R160. This just doesn't seem like such a good idea. I'm all for new technology, but dumping 600 perfectly fine, although slightly rusty, cars into the NJ coast. Grrrr, bad, very bad. I mean, what do they think they're doing with those R42s, they're perfectly fine... grumble grumble... subway cars... dumped... R40...

That includes One R32 which would be 3620, R32GEs, R38s, R40 Slants, R42s, and older ryder cars. But a few thigns might be changed or something else added, but thats the looks of it right now.

The only one I'm sad about is the R32's. They will be missed very much.

The only one I'm sad about is the R32's. They will be missed very much.

Well, its a very little number. R32 3620 was in an incident that the MTA declared it beyond repair. I know some stuff was posted somewhere in the net about the SBK moves. I saw the move in person the MTA kept the car basically all boarded up with doors and windows. And the R32GEs is a very little number too, so its not a major lost for the R32s. They're really not slate to be retired for another 7 or 8 years. 3620 and the GE rebuilds just really have to go.

Archived