Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Trainspotter

Gary Myers: Believe me, Eagles won't beat the Giants on Sunday

The Eagles have suddenly been deemed the biggest threat to the Giants' attempt to repeat as Super Bowl champs. They are supposed to be this year's Giants, going on a three-week run on the road through the NFC playoffs.

Oh, really.

They didn't even win 10 regular-season games. They tied their November game with the laughable Bengals, much to the surprise of Donovan McNabb. One week later, McNabb was benched for the second half of a dreadful loss in Baltimore, and it wasn't so he could travel to the NFL offices to be quizzed on the rulebook.

The Eagles snuck into the playoffs on the final Sunday after the Bears and Bucs lost and they demolished the Cowboys when Tony Romo was so awful he must have been distracted by the prospect of going on vacation and bumping into Woody Johnson.

And in the wild-card round, they were hardly overwhelming against the Vikings, who elected to play the game without a quarterback.

Last year when the Giants beat the NFC East champion Cowboys in the second round, they were facing a team full of distractions and T.O. The Giants are more than one month past Plaxico Burress. There are no issues.

They also lost to Philly last month and take the Birds seriously. The Cowboys swept the Giants last year and Dallas thought so little of them that Romo went to Cabo the weekend before the game.

This will be an NFC East slugfest Sunday at Giants Stadium because it always is.

Giants 23, Eagles 13.

It should be noted that last year, right here in your Daily News, I not only predicted each of the Giants' four playoff victories, including the huge upset of the Patriots in the Super Bowl, but had the margin of victory just about on the nose each week. Just wanted to point that out.

The Giants were the best team in the NFC all season despite losing to the Eagles and Cowboys back-to-back in December. But when they faced their only must-win of the season on that Sunday night against the Panthers in the battle for the No. 1 seed in the 15th game, they rallied to send the game into overtime and then won it.

This is a tough-minded team. Doesn't mean the Giants are sure things to repeat as Super Bowl champions, but they do have a lot of heart, and it's going to take a near perfect game from the Eagles to knock them out of the playoffs.

The Giants are the best at finding a cause that doesn't even exist and not letting go. Even after winning the Super Bowl and going 12-4 and being picked by many to run through these playoffs and win it all again, they still feel disrespected. It's ridiculous, of course, but it works for them.

GARY MYERS

NY DAILY NEWS

January 7th 2009

post-5-133288580204_thumb.jpg

post-5-133288580204_thumb.jpg

The Eagles are the only serious threat to derailing Giants chance of returning to the super bowl only because they play in the same divison. Without Westbrook playing maybe the best games of his carrer in last few weeks, Philly does not make the playoffs.

With that said, I think Myers is right. I list my picks in the NFL 2008-09 seaon topic.

Iggles will go all the way!

(E)(A)(G)(L)(E):septa:!!!!!!:tup:

- A

I'm glad we are on the same football page.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!

Well...at least Gary almost got the score right. The Eagles shrunk the Giants bigtime.