Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Tauchert

Destination Indicator (Roll Sign)

I own a destination indicator that is operated by a hand crank and I can select the following destinations:

Eights Ave, Metropolitan Ave, Rockaway Pkwy and Special. This selection makes me believe that the piece of equipment was used on the BMT Canarsie Local (L or as it used to be called LL). I picked this up in the 1970s from a place called "The junkyard with a personality." Can anyone tell me what type car it was used in?

I hope I am posring this on the correct Forum,

Horst Tauchert

I guess that would be a good name for it. By turning the crank, the destination appears on both sides of the box. One to be read from the inside and the other from the outside of the car.

The best way to find out which car it came from is to post a photo of it. If you're not sure how to add photos to a post this thread will tell you how to do it.

I'm curious to see it myself. :cool:

Can anyone tell me how to get a rollsign from all the equipment being scrapped???!!! I resent the fact that the museum store is charging $300 for a roll sign and framed ones that are complete are going for over $1200!! please i wanted one for a while. Especiall and old R1 or BMT standard rollsign. Please Advise. I would gladly go to 207st yard or wherever to pick one up. I live in midtown and its no problem to go to any of the yards....

Can anyone tell me how to get a rollsign from all the equipment being scrapped???!!! I resent the fact that the museum store is charging $300 for a roll sign and framed ones that are complete are going for over $1200!! please i wanted one for a while. Especiall and old R1 or BMT standard rollsign. Please Advise. I would gladly go to 207st yard or wherever to pick one up. I live in midtown and its no problem to go to any of the yards....

Surplus sales?

Transit Museum makes everything overpriced of course, but you can see if you find anything here. Chances are slight on you getting a rollsign from an already retired train fleet, it's considered history so the Transit Museum keeps it. Although you can one of the yards probably and ask them your question, even though I'm not sure how that would go.

Check the MTA's website and go to surplus sales.

Or check on eBay and see if somebody wants to sell such an item at a lower price.

That rollsign looks from an R11. I may be wrong but i've seen that before on ebay. and the inscription on the front was the same. It was at one time illuminated. I'm 90% sure it's from an R11...

Thank you for the recommendations fellas. I know surplus sales is a ripoff but i thought maybe by going to a yard would help. I asked a subway worker on the nostalgia train about that and he said it was forbidden by the TA. I don't know if he was jiving but i hope a TA worker would make that quote official. Anyone from 207st yard please advise...

Thank you for the recommendations fellas. I know surplus sales is a ripoff but i thought maybe by going to a yard would help. I asked a subway worker on the nostalgia train about that and he said it was forbidden by the TA. I don't know if he was jiving but i hope a TA worker would make that quote official. Anyone from 207st yard please advise...

Pretty possible it is prohibited for the workers to carry out equipment out of the yards, you can still call and ask.

Sorry. You must buy it via the official channels.

The best way to find out which car it came from is to post a photo of it. If you're not sure how to add photos to a post this thread will tell you how to do it.

I'm curious to see it myself. :cool:

Rollsign3.jpg

Rollsign2.jpg

Rollsign1.jpg

Edited by Cappy
Changed the code