Where does the 7 line tracks connect with the 4-5 or 1-2-3 tracks?

MTARegional Bus

The Flushing Line does not connect directly with the Mainlines (namely the Lexington Ave and 7th Ave Lines)

The only track connection the Flushing has with any other NYCT line is at Queensboro Plaza, and that connection is to the BMT Astoria Line. If the 7's cars ever need to run on the Mainlines they MUST access the BMT system first, and then probably switch to the IND system. Once on the IND system, it could go to either Concourse Yard or 207th Street. At 207th Street, there are tracks that connect to the 1, at Concourse Yard there are tracks that connect to the 4.

oh now that make since thanks MTR

No problem, the 7 is a living memorial of the Dual Contracts. (Applies to only the portion east of Queensboro Plaza) While using IRT equipment and specifications (platform width), the line is kind of essentially a BMT line. The BMT for a while, ran their cars on the Flushing Line.

Ya dont forget Livina if im spelling it right?

btw henry, what does mainline means, it seems confusing on Wiki.

Do you mean IRT orginal likes are the 7th Ave/Lex

Just like the BMT> Broadway/Nassau

and IND 8th Ave/6th ave?

Ya dont forget Livina if im spelling it right?

btw henry, what does mainline means, it seems confusing on Wiki.

Do you mean IRT orginal likes are the 7th Ave/Lex

Just like the BMT> Broadway/Nassau

and IND 8th Ave/6th ave?

Yeah, basically the trunk lines in Manhattan: Lex Ave and 7th Ave.

The thing with Livonia is, you must access the L first. The only way possible is to get on the N, continue all the way to 36th Street. Switch to 9th Avenue, reverse, go all the way up use the Montague Street Tunnel. Take the M route, then go all the way following the J line to Broadway Junction before switching to the L, then it could cross onto the tracks leading to Livonia Yard. But remember the constraints on the BMT East Lines. The 7 operates 11 car trains. I am not sure if 11 51-foot cars could fit on the BMT East lines (561 feet).

Ideally, the 7 would cross onto the N line, then continue all the way to 36th Street, then go to 9th Avenue, reverse continue on the D line to Concourse Yard. Then it would cross onto the 4. Or, continue straight to Coney Island, continue back up via the D to Concourse.

Yeah, basically the trunk lines in Manhattan: Lex Ave and 7th Ave.

The thing with Livonia is, you must access the L first. The only way possible is to get on the N, continue all the way to 36th Street. Switch to 9th Avenue, reverse, go all the way up use the Montague Street Tunnel. Take the M route, then go all the way following the J line to Broadway Junction before switching to the L, then it could cross onto the tracks leading to Livonia Yard. But remember the constraints on the BMT East Lines. The 7 operates 11 car trains. I am not sure if 11 51-foot cars could fit on the BMT East lines (561 feet).

Ideally, the 7 would cross onto the N line, then continue all the way to 36th Street, then go to 9th Avenue, reverse continue on the D line to Concourse Yard. Then it would cross onto the 4. Or, continue straight to Coney Island, continue back up via the D to Concourse.

and wat about connecting with a Rail Road, does the MNRR/LIRR have track access to the NYCT?

and wat about connecting with a Rail Road, does the MNRR/LIRR have track access to the NYCT?

I am not sure about that one. I remember the LIRR Bay Ridge Branch had a connection to the L and that was just about it.

There was another former connection between the 2 at Atlantic Ave and the LIRR. It was used by August Belmont when he used his private car to get from the IRT system to Belmont Pk.

The LIRR used to a have track connection between New Lots Avenue and Livonia Avenue on the Canarsie bound track on the (L) but that connection was removed.

Yup there are two different connections between Livonia and New Lots...one is the connector to the Linden shops (also connects to the 3 at Junius St)...this connection has no third rail power so car moves would not typically be done over it.

The other is the connection to the LIRR and that connection has been removed.

No problem, the 7 is a living memorial of the Dual Contracts. (Applies to only the portion east of Queensboro Plaza) While using IRT equipment and specifications (platform width), the line is kind of essentially a BMT line. The BMT for a while, ran their cars on the Flushing Line.

In fact, the radio band on the (7) is the BMT radio station.

AFAIK, the Livonia Access is still intact, however there is no 3rd rail. The connection to the Bay Ridge branch was severed.

Actually, a piece of the track at Junius Street was cut, effectively severing the connection. It's been that way for quite some time now:

100_1170.jpg

100_1169.jpg

100_1164.jpg

See the piece that's missing? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I still believe it's missing.

Hold up, are you talking about the connection from the 3 to Livonia Yard?

Should it supposed to be connected? After all, Livonia Yard is the 3's yard.

Oh, no, I meant the Junius St connection. That's where the pictures are taken.

I know it was like that over a year ago when I worked over there. I figured it was probably just a frog replacement.

Also, the Flushin line's original direct connection to the IRT was over the Queensboro bridge and Second Avenue el. The only reason they didn't just convert the whole thing to BMT was because the tunnel couldn't be upgraded.

I know it was like that over a year ago when I worked over there. I figured it was probably just a frog replacement.

Also, the Flushin line's original direct connection to the IRT was over the Queensboro bridge and Second Avenue el. The only reason they didn't just convert the whole thing to BMT was because the tunnel couldn't be upgraded.

Yeah, back then before the demolition of the el, that was the only connection to the IRT, since the demolition, all car transfers had to be done through the IRT/BMT connection.

wait back then the (7) line was a BMT? and the astoria was a IRT? because i remember seeing a 1941 map,showing that the astoria line and the flushing line were both IRT and BMT? how exactly did this work? did both BMT trains and IRT trains run on the astoria and flushing line? what about the gaps? im confused,was the flushing line and astoria line 100% IRT? 100% BMT? 50/50% of BMT and IRT? see look http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/caption.pl?/img/maps/system_1948.gif the astoria and flushing line both used IRT and BMT? how did this work?

wait back then the (7) line was a BMT? and the astoria was a IRT? because i remember seeing a 1941 map,showing that the astoria line and the flushing line were both IRT and BMT? how exactly did this work? did both BMT trains and IRT trains run on the astoria and flushing line? what about the gaps? im confused,was the flushing line and astoria line 100% IRT? 100% BMT? 50/50% of BMT and IRT? see look http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/caption.pl?/img/maps/system_1948.gif the astoria and flushing line both used IRT and BMT? how did this work?

Well, the air rights east of Queensboro Plaza on both lines were considered IRT. Under the Dual Contracts, the BMT had rights to operate on IRT trackage east of QBP. Initially, the stations east of QBP had different sections for fare control. That is, IRT customers would have to pay on one end of the station, and BMT customers would have to pay on another end of the station. However this practice was terminated since it was rather confusing. QBP was actually two different stations, the IRT station is actually the current QBP station. This serviced the IRT Flushing Line from Times Square as well as the Astoria Line from Times Square. Additionally, the Second Ave El also stopped here. The BMT station is a mirror image of the current station, located over the north side of Queens Boulevard (this explains why the current station is located over the south half of Queens Blvd, and explains for the sharp curve the (N)(W) has to negotiate while pulling into the station or leaving the station). It serviced the Broadway line trains and the Queens services. HOWEVER, during that time, all stations past Queensboro Plaza were built to IRT specs, meaning: the standard Broadway services could not continue past Queensboro Plaza and therefore had to terminate there. The Astoria and Flushing services terminated at Queensboro Plaza as well and were ran with Q cars (converted BMT el cars). After the Unification, it was decided that the Second Avenue El would be demolished, the Broadway lines be extended to Astoria and that the IRT subway will only serve Flushing. The BMT station was taken down and the Broadway services were connected to the former IRT station. This was the reason why the 7 is the only IRT line capable of running 11 IRT cars.

Well, the air rights east of Queensboro Plaza on both lines were considered IRT. Under the Dual Contracts, the BMT had rights to operate on IRT trackage east of QBP. Initially, the stations east of QBP had different sections for fare control. That is, IRT customers would have to pay on one end of the station, and BMT customers would have to pay on another end of the station. However this practice was terminated since it was rather confusing. QBP was actually two different stations, the IRT station is actually the current QBP station. This serviced the IRT Flushing Line from Times Square as well as the Astoria Line from Times Square. Additionally, the Second Ave El also stopped here. The BMT station is a mirror image of the current station, located over the north side of Queens Boulevard (this explains why the current station is located over the south half of Queens Blvd, and explains for the sharp curve the (N)(W) has to negotiate while pulling into the station or leaving the station). It serviced the Broadway line trains and the Queens services. HOWEVER, during that time, all stations past Queensboro Plaza were built to IRT specs, meaning: the standard Broadway services could not continue past Queensboro Plaza and therefore had to terminate there. The Astoria and Flushing services terminated at Queensboro Plaza as well and were ran with Q cars (converted BMT el cars). After the Unification, it was decided that the Second Avenue El would be demolished, the Broadway lines be extended to Astoria and that the IRT subway will only serve Flushing. The BMT station was taken down and the Broadway services were connected to the former IRT station. This was the reason why the 7 is the only IRT line capable of running 11 IRT cars.

so this is why there is those elevated tracks with out the tracks? and that why theres elevated medal on the other side of queens boro plaza? and 1 more thing is this how trains would run?

astoria to flushing?

astoria to Times square via steinway? (flushing line)

and the BMT trains would stop on those unused elevated parts of queens boro plaza?

then why does it saw BMT and IRT on the astoria line and the flushing line on the 1941 map?

Archived