Question from a former NYPD cop

HappyGoLucky

Hello people. I'm new to the board and a question for you MTA guys a gals out there. I was working for the NYPD and in september theym terminated my probation period. I spoke to my PBA delegates and they told me because I was on proobation the city can do that. I spoke to a few lawyers and the said the same thing (Sucks). I didn't get in trouble with the nypd they terminated me right when the recession hit. My question is that if i was terminated from the nypd can I still get hired by MTA because its two different agencies. I took that conductor exam in december but i know thats a bit of a long wait.I guess me getting terminated was some kind of sign because i got terminated the same day for the filing of the conductor exam how weird is that...Any info would be greatly appreciated.. I just wish the nypd would have given me at least the option to resign..That just goes to show how much the city really think about their employees.:mad:

Hello people. I'm new to the board and a question for you MTA guys a gals out there. I was working for the NYPD and in september theym terminated my probation period. I spoke to my PBA delegates and they told me because I was on proobation the city can do that. I spoke to a few lawyers and the said the same thing (Sucks). I didn't get in trouble with the nypd they terminated me right when the recession hit. My question is that if i was terminated from the nypd can I still get hired by MTA because its two different agencies. I took that conductor exam in december but i know thats a bit of a long wait.I guess me getting terminated was some kind of sign because i got terminated the same day for the filing of the conductor exam how weird is that...Any info would be greatly appreciated.. I just wish the nypd would have given me at least the option to resign..That just goes to show how much the city really think about their employees.:mad:

Hey, if you join the MTAPD remeber this: FILMING AND PHOTOGRAPHY IS ALLOWED W/O TRIPOD AND FLASH. Thanks :)

It shouldn't cause it was more of a lay-off not, being fired. I would take Maserati's advice and apply online to MTAPD. At least your badge will have more jurisdictional influence......

Of course you can work for another city agency. Generally, you would be disqualified from further city employment if you lied on your employment application. Since your termination doesn't appear to be based as a result of gross misconduct, you shouldn't have a problem with gaining future city employment. Best of luck.

• 4 weeks later...

I am a former MOS of NYPD they fired you or laid you off ? That is weird that they would "fire" you instead of laying you off. I am also shocked PBA didn't do nothing to keep your job that's a great union. MTA will probably hire you since your saying your release from NYPD was nothing related to disciplinary action. The wait is long for most city tests best thing to do is look around don't linger on waiting for MTA to call try and find something else till they call you.

They gave me a three sentence letter saying that your probationary period has been terminated by the police commissioner.and something about regulations section 5.2.7. I dont have the letter at hand. I never got in trouble or anything with the job. So I call up my delegate and he tells me that the city can do that because i'm on probation see what an ouytside lawyer says. I tell him what am I paying union dues for if I cant be protected while on probation. Any way I speak to a few lawyers and they pretty much say the same thing. because your on probation by the city they can terminate your probation. I forgot what the lawyer called it. so now I'm unemployed at the worst possible time..Thats the kind of luck I have on my side!

They gave me a three sentence letter saying that your probationary period has been terminated by the police commissioner.and something about regulations section 5.2.7. I dont have the letter at hand. I never got in trouble or anything with the job. So I call up my delegate and he tells me that the city can do that because i'm on probation see what an ouytside lawyer says. I tell him what am I paying union dues for if I cant be protected while on probation. Any way I speak to a few lawyers and they pretty much say the same thing. because your on probation by the city they can terminate your probation. I forgot what the lawyer called it. so now I'm unemployed at the worst possible time..Thats the kind of luck I have on my side!

I found the information:

According to the New York City Personnel Rules And Regulations, Section 5.2.7, an agency head, “may

terminate the employment of any probationer whose conduct and performance is not satisfactory after the completion

of a minimum period of probationary service and before the completion of the maximum period of probationary

service by notice to the said probationer and to the city personnel director.”

Which I found in a rule book regarding NYPD disciplinary actions towards P/Os. Here is the PDF. http://www.nyc.gov/html/ccpc/downloads/pdf/serious_off-duty_misconduct.pdf

Thats crazy because I had good evaluations. I never got in trouble with the job at all. I guess the man upstairs has aplan for everyone. I was terminated in september when the economy started to tank i think that had something to do with it who knows. One crazy thing is this my daughter stared kindergarden september 9. I had nobody to pick her up after school, I get terminated on september 5. God works in mysterious ways..Why couldnt he just let me win the lottery or something..Lol. Thanx Y2julio for the info.

I appreciate it..I guess I should have listen to my girl and been a correction officer..LOL
NYC DOC is hiring like crazy right now!! 90+k top pay with all the longevity,uniform,holiday pay etc. aint bad at all! I heard they will get VSF in the future..:tup: I was thinking about going over there.

• 7 years later...

Archived