Where is this?

I'm not sure it's the Long Beach line, the LB & Babylon lines aren't really together in queens. They split around the Laurelton station which is just after the border of Nassau & Queens and they stay separate until Jamaica. Are you sure that's not LIRR main line west of Jamaica? There are 4 tracks, not that many places where I can think of where they have 4 electrified tracks.

LIRR Mainline west of jamaica between Forest hills and Kew Gardens... Definitely because of the extra gap of a "possible" 5th track on the right side of the picture. I ridden the mainline alot and I know it very well.

Yeah I agree with you, the surroundings show that it is the Mainline, somewhere between Forest Hills and Kew. I have seen photos of the area and they match this photo.

Guest Charles

I'm not sure exactly where on the Main Line this photo was taken, but in the distance, where the black signals are, there is a blue bridge. That bridge, I am positive, is the 67th Avenue Foot Bridge in Rego Park, Queens.

Since the Forest Hills station is visible, I'm goign to say that this photo is from one of the overpasses in Rego Park or Elmhurst in Queens.

That is indeed the LIRR mainline between Jamaica and Woodside.

White Pot Junction which is further east of the location of this photo; is where the original Rockaway Beach branch left the mainline. The Rockaway Beach branch occupied the "5th" track in the photo. In fact the Rock Beach branch tracks 1&2 were the 2 furthest tracks of what used to be a six track mainline at that point.

The eastbound train is not necessarily a Ronkonkoma train. Babylon, Huntington, Long Beach, Far Rock and Hempstead trains also may have a 10 car consist depending what time of the day and what day this photo was actually taken.B)(MTA)

• 5 months later...

Old thread, but Awwang you're pretty wrong.

I'm 100% sure this picture is at the Woodhaven Blvd Crossing. The photographer is at the 60th Rd footbridge looking Eastward. The outer unused trackways are a dead giveaway to it being west of Whitepot Junction as there are no trackways east of the junction.

A simple google mapapge will tell you exactly where.

• 1 month later...
Old thread, but Awwang you're pretty wrong.

I'm 100% sure this picture is at the Woodhaven Blvd Crossing. The photographer is at the 60th Rd footbridge looking Eastward. The outer unused trackways are a dead giveaway to it being west of Whitepot Junction as there are no trackways east of the junction.

A simple google mapapge will tell you exactly where.

Looks like this thread was resurrected and there was never a confirmation but you're right, that is definitely the Woodhaven Blvd crossing taken from the the 60th Rd footbridge. Off to the left is the Austin Towers at 62nd Ave and Austin Street and right after that at 63rd Ave is the little power station. The signals in the distance are right after the 63rd Drive crossing and behind the signals is the 67th Ave footbridge.

Oh crap, how come I haven't seen the footbridge of the 63rd Drive thing, I guess is because of poor and overly quick judgement I made in my previous post, ;)!

The depth of field really throws you off in this one because everything looks alot closer that it really is, I was a little unsure when I first looked at it but then it clicked. It's a really great shot when you think about it!

• 3 months later...

Archived