Winter Storm/Blizzard Warning for Saturday

UlmerPark B6

At least this storm will occur on a weekend lol. I know the school students may not like that though lol and miss an off day.

FYI. Saturday storm is probably not going to be a blizzard in the NYC boros. Here the offical meaning of an 'blizzard' according to the US National Weather Service.

In the United States, the National Weather Service defines a blizzard as sustained 35 mph (56 km/h) winds which lead to blowing snow and cause visibilities of ¼ mile or less, lasting for at least 3 hours. Temperature is not taken into consideration when issuing a blizzard warning, but the nature of these storms is such that cold air is often present when the other criteria are met.[1] . Temperatures are generally at or below 0 degrees F during or at the end of the storm.

that was a nice blizzard in '06, but nothing can compare to that storm that we had back in...man, was it '95 or '96...but yeah that was a nice blizzard...I remember the wind was so bad coupled with the snow that it hurt my face if I faced the opposite direction of the wind flow...ouch

that was a nice blizzard in '06, but nothing can compare to that storm that we had back in...man, was it '95 or '96...but yeah that was a nice blizzard...I remember the wind was so bad coupled with the snow that it hurt my face if I faced the opposite direction of the wind flow...ouch

That other blizzzard you talking about is probably the January 1996 storm. The '06 storm had more snow falling but the '96 Blizzard was also a "nor'easter too that had higher winds and more brutal temps. The '96 blizzard also caused more damage and was felt far from Maine to Georgia too. for those of you on these boards who remember the two storms.

Alcohol/water/salt combo liquid is better than rock salt. It doesn't allow the runoff to freeze, harmless to the environment, and you can spray more on (from an exterminator style pump tank) as needed, and is totally effective. Trenton uses this, and they never ice up ever.

- A

Yup I remember that! Blizzard of 96, we got the whole week off from school... ah good times, good memories...

Yup I remember that! Blizzard of 96, we got the whole week off from school... ah good times, good memories...

We got 3 snow days that time. This area is 110% prepared for anything wintery including flooding from melting snow. A snow day = most likely you can't leave your own neighborhood without a shovel and some help.

- A

There's gonna be 4-7 inches of snow on Saturday in the metropolitan area, New Jersey will get 2-5 inches and N & W will get 4-9 inches.

An update. According to almost all NYC TV news stations and the Weather Channel NYC as of 12 Noon today (1/10/09)the 5 boros and Long Island, will only get about 2-4 inches from this snow. However north of White Plains in Sussex County, NJ, Westchester and the Mid Hudson Valley of Upstate NY and NW Ct Danbury and points north, it a winter storm.

Areas about 30 miles north of NYC will get 6-10 inches of snow. So looks like our highly paid Tv weathercasters are off the mark again lol.:cool:

At least this storm will occur on a weekend lol. I know the school students may not like that though lol and miss an off day.

FYI. Saturday storm is probably not going to be a blizzard in the NYC boros. Here the offical meaning of an 'blizzard' according to the US National Weather Service.

In the United States, the National Weather Service defines a blizzard as sustained 35 mph (56 km/h) winds which lead to blowing snow and cause visibilities of ¼ mile or less, lasting for at least 3 hours. Temperature is not taken into consideration when issuing a blizzard warning, but the nature of these storms is such that cold air is often present when the other criteria are met.[1] . Temperatures are generally at or below 0 degrees F during or at the end of the storm.

If it occurred yesterday we would have another day of snowball fighting like last time before the winter break.

Archived