How do you pay for the MN?

Trainzfan1

I know , being a t/o i can get a free ride as i been told but now i want to know how do people pay for the mn?(5)(MTA)

I highly doubt that, transit workers would not get free rides on commuter rail lines even if they are under the (MTA)

I know , being a t/o i can get a free ride as i been told but now i want to know how do people pay for the mn?(5)(MTA)

I don't know why, but something isn't passing the smell test.

You say that you're a Train Operator on the (5) with only six months on the job, yet you don't know how to pay your fare on Metro-North? Not only that, but you don't even have enough seniority to pick a single job let alone the most senior line in the IRT. Any genuine Train Operator needing to find out transit information, especially one which could potentially involve your pass, would ask a co-worker and not rely on an internet posting board.

If you are who you say you are, and you just might be telling the truth, then you should easily answer the following queries without even thinking about it (and please, only Trainzfan1 should answer the following questions):

1) At 241 Street/White Plains Road, in what room on the upper level do you sign on and off to the payroll?

2) Name two ways how would you find out your assignment for the next day.

3) On what tour would 231 job on the (5) line be on?

4) On level track, what is the minimum amount of handbrakes needed to lay-up R142/142A equipment in a yard or siding?

5) You enter a cab on an R62A car. You enter the car, charge up the train, perform your brake test, C/R passes you indication and gives you two buzzers, but you attempt to take power and the train doesn't move. What circuit breaker potentially could be in the off position preventing you from taking power?

I just want to make sure that you really are legitimate. If so, then I wish you the heartiest of welcomes.

You sure it might not just be some grammar, Zman? More like he was trying to convey if I was a T/O rather than "I AM a T/O" ?

No, he's stated that he is currently a T/O, and has stated such in other posts as well:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=76882#post76882

I would never hold the usage of grammar against anyone. I just want to make sure, that's all.

Oh I meant a simple misunderstanding and not your being the grammar police, which I know you are not. That link provides clarification as well so I see what you're saying. Imposters and poseurs are def verboten, so sorry if I came off as a buttinski :D

You go up to the TVM, select what type of ticket (Single, Return, multi-tickets, combination tickets), peak or off peak, station

Feed the machine with your moolah

And the ticket comes out

Take your ticket, sit on the appropriate train, wait for the conductor to punch your ticket.

That's how you pay

Alternatively, you pay onboard when the conductor comes to you, but with a surcharge.

I'm sorry, it just doesn't seem you are employed by the TA, your profile user name says it. Let alone you "work" on the (5) for 6 months, maybe rookie lines but definitely not a senior line. Would your co-workers not tell you how to buy a MN ticket? Quite logical...

Oh I meant a simple misunderstanding and not your being the grammar police, which I know you are not. That link provides clarification as well so I see what you're saying. Imposters and poseurs are def verboten, so sorry if I came off as a buttinski ;)

Now how could I possibly think of someone as a buttinski who can use three languages in a single sentence? B) Besides, I've known you long enough from the other board to know that you're not a prodder.

---------------------------------------

Otherwise, I shouldn't hold my breath waiting for a response, eh?

Now how could I possibly think of someone as a buttinski who can use three languages in a single sentence? :) Besides, I've known you long enough from the other board to know that you're not a prodder.

---------------------------------------

Otherwise, I shouldn't hold my breath waiting for a response, eh?

Good job! Because of that, je veux être français. (I want to be French)

I highly doubt that, transit workers would not get free rides on commuter rail lines even if they are under the (MTA)

Metro North workers do indeed get "transportation pass privileges". While I don't know if the privileges extend to other entities of the MTA, it definately applies to Metro North travel.

I think the OP wants to know the method different people purchase the tickets as there are three different ways to do so.

The first way (and cheapest) is a "web ticket" where you can purchase tickets via the web and they will be mailed to you.

Other ways are via ticket machines at the stations and the most expensive way is to purchase tickets on the train from the conductor.

• 2 weeks later...
Metro North workers do indeed get "transportation pass privileges". While I don't know if the privileges extend to other entities of the MTA, it definately applies to Metro North travel.

Correct, and technically that is the limit...travel on the same system. However, there is an unspoken agreement that a valid RR ID- any RR- is enough to ride. That being said, though, if there were someone from management on the train undercover and observing, as is the case on occasion, that employee would be reprimanded for letting someone get away without paying, which is why newcomers to the job will often hold off on allowing that until they have some seniority under their belt.

Same applies, still unofficially, to members of the military and uniformed POs.

Archived