Private Subway

xloakedx

Of course it's possible, but it depends on where you dig tunnels, and how big your system is. I know I think it's a museum in Australia that has like a shuttle subway only going one direction in only one tunnel, but this was a private one. May I ask why are you inetrested? :)

hmm "very unlikely" and "political red tape" mumbo jumbo was the responses I was expecting but nonetheless possible, reason I ask is because I thought new service in underserved areas throughout the city would truly only come by this means given the slow and failed attempts to expand service under MTA in the past 60 years. I think a privatized system would see things done twice as big and in half the time.

hmm "very unlikely" and "political red tape" mumbo jumbo was the responses I was expecting but nonetheless possible, reason I ask is because I thought new service in underserved areas throughout the city would truly only come by this means given the slow and failed attempts to expand service under MTA in the past 60 years. I think a privatized system would see things done twice as big and in half the time.

You speak of this, but are you serious?

The NYC Subway used to be a private system with the IRT and BMT. Only the IND was public.

Okay, like what others said: you need the dough for it.

And not just that, you need the contracts to build the line. The city would not let you dig a hole in the street. You might get arrested for doing that.

That is why Beach dug his hole in the basement of some store in Broadway IN THE NIGHTTIME when he done his thing, had he dug up Broadway Tweed would probably lock him up.

The most that could happen is if someone owned a huge plot of land (like a golf course) then they could build something there. But a subway of the magnitude of NYC can't be private.

It could be private, but it wouldn't start out as big as the NYC system. As stated before, mucho dinero, just to buy the right of way. Nightmare to do environmental studies, etc. Think of your major expansion projects now, the time it has taken for the planning process and impact studies, etc...

It could be private, but it wouldn't start out as big as the NYC system. As stated before, mucho dinero, just to buy the right of way. Nightmare to do environmental studies, etc. Think of your major expansion projects now, the time it has taken for the planning process and impact studies, etc...

Don't forget those NIMBYs you have to deal with. They might take it to court.

Don't forget those NIMBYs you have to deal with. They might take it to court.

...tying it up even more. Although, the good of the public can usually withstand those lawsuits. FAA is good at that. they get most every airport expansion they want.

Private subway isn't needed, and if attempted, you'd be in jail right now, for property and environmental issues, even with all the money that can be spent, you need permission first.

Simple:

Since we heard stories about this "76th Street Station", why hasn't anyone dare to dig a hole at 76th and Pitkin to see if the station is really there?

Simple, because they don't want to be charged. That is like sabotage to some degree.

And private subway construction, holy cow. That is just way more than a 1 foot squared crevice in the middle of the pavement dug by some urban explorer.

If Six Flags can build a tram from one end to the other, then a private subway could be built. However, a private subway can't be built on public property.

Private facilities can have their own systems:

Most notably the Tandy Subway

And I believe New Athos Cave Metro was a private system

There is also a ski resort in Germany (?) that has a private funicular subway.

Archived