South Ferry 5 Car Notices Gone on (1) Train

TCAT 65

I was on the (1) train yesterday coming back from jury duty, and I saw that the notices that say "ATTENTION: YOU MUST BE IN ONE OF THE FIRST FIVE CARS TO GET OFF AT SOUTH FERRY" were gone. I checked multiple cars of the trainset, and the same was true for every car I checked. Anyone else see this?

(1) trains fully fitting in South Ferry is great, which leaves 14 Street-Union Square (Lexington Avenue section (4)(5)(6)) the only station to use Gap Fillers. Isn't that something, now the South Ferry Loops Gap fillers will be rendered useless.

I even look on (4) when it used R62/A. I didn't see notice of (1) poster except (3) station.
wat station said that? Cuz thats for the Old SF station, until the new one opens

145th Street Station, it is the only other station on the entire IRT system that still is 5 cars long. Once SFT opens, it will be the ONLY. The reason why it could not be extended was due to the 142nd Street Junction and because of a curve right after the station that would lead to the 148th Street Station.

I was on the (1) train yesterday coming back from jury duty, and I saw that the notices that say "ATTENTION: YOU MUST BE IN ONE OF THE FIRST FIVE CARS TO GET OFF AT SOUTH FERRY" were gone. I checked multiple cars of the trainset, and the same was true for every car I checked. Anyone else see this?

Nice find! It will open within this month. It's going to piss everyone off it does not open this month because they pushed the deadline around.

145th Street Station, it is the only other station on the entire IRT system that still is 5 cars long. Once SFT opens, it will be the ONLY. The reason why it could not be extended was due to the 142nd Street Junction and because of a curve right after the station that would lead to the 148th Street Station.

I have an idea about 145 st. If it is close to the 142 st junction, why not extend it in both directions as close as you can get to the switches? The station can hold 6 cars, but only the first 5 open. So why not at least try to extend it?

I have an idea about 145 st. If it is close to the 142 st junction, why not extend it in both directions as close as you can get to the switches? The station can hold 6 cars, but only the first 5 open. So why not at least try to extend it?

I don't think 10 cars could fit the station if you extended it, even in both directions (correct me if I am wrong).

You could just extend it one way towards the junction, as the back of the train with the first five berthed is already far enough away from the switches. (After all, a train being in the station does not block the (2)). It is actually quite far from the switch. so it beats me why they don't extend the station. Is there solid rock behind the tunnel walls or something?

they shot down my suggestion to run the (5) to th eold South ferry loop to get it out of the way of the (4), because they didn't want the first five opening anymore, so you wonder why they would keep it at 145 when there is more than enough space to extend.

You could just extend it one way towards the junction, as the back of the train with the first five berthed is already far enough away from the switches. (After all, a train being in the station does not block the (2)). It is actually quite far from the switch. so it beats me why they don't extend the station. Is there solid rock behind the tunnel walls or something?

they shot down my suggestion to run the (5) to th eold South ferry loop to get it out of the way of the (4), because they didn't want the first five opening anymore, so you wonder why they would keep it at 145 when there is more than enough space to extend.

Now I can't be 100 pct sure... but in order to prove that... I want to know:

1. How long are the 145th Street platforms?

2. How much is the distance between the south end of the station to the switches?

Besides there is not much patronage at that station, compared to South Ferry. So what's the point?

Now I can't be 100 pct sure... but in order to prove that... I want to know:

1. How long are the 145th Street platforms?

2. How much is the distance between the south end of the station to the switches?

Besides there is not much patronage at that station, compared to South Ferry. So what's the point?

The platforms are about 5 and a half cars long.

The switches are at 143rd-ish St, I don't know how far that is.

And, I agree. 145th and 148th Sts evenly balance their loads. And besides, the exit at 148th St is at the very front anyway, so everyone is already in the first 5 cars after 135th St.

The platforms are about 5 and a half cars long.

The switches are at 143rd-ish St, I don't know how far that is.

And, I agree. 145th and 148th Sts evenly balance their loads. And besides, the exit at 148th St is at the very front anyway, so everyone is already in the first 5 cars after 135th St.

So I don't see the point of extending it.

We should all be grateful that it wasn't closed (like the 4 on the original IRT)

I believe there is an Elevated station in Bronx or Brooklyn that also leaves few cars with cloesd doors...

Also, I am glad I got few pix of those signs, hope they won't discard them so I can get one, :)!

And the 145th Street station could be extended both ways if it does not bother any station or operating infrastructure...

-What line is that?????

-*FACEPALM* Is there a need to extend the platforms? The demand is not high. In fact, there is no boarding on the uptown side. All boarding is done on the downtown side.

I know, but I saw a photo sometime last few week that shows an IRT station having a R-142 parked in an elevated station and opening its doors while there are few car behind it with doors closed...

1. I have no clue but there is an elevated no location station...

2. Well, possibly but it is a pain to walk 5 cars ahead and cause delays...

So? It could be a lay up.

1. I do not think there are HORDES OF PEOPLE wanting to get out at 145.

2. The people who wish to get off know where to jump off and they will know where to sit. It's posted on the signs. Duhhhhh.

Archived