South Ferry 5 Car Notices Gone on (1) Train

TCAT 65

I believe there is an Elevated station in Bronx or Brooklyn that also leaves few cars with cloesd doors...

Also, I am glad I got few pix of those signs, hope they won't discard them so I can get one, :P!

And the 145th Street station could be extended both ways if it does not bother any station or operating infrastructure...

Are you sure? There is no elevated station currently that restricts only the first 5 cars for entering.

About 145th St, it's not worth it. The current loading works due to the layout of 148th St as well. No one goes from 148th to 145th Sts (meaning they'd have to run to the first 5 cars) because the M7 and M102 are right there. It would be nice, but money is needed elsewhere.

Now I can't be 100 pct sure... but in order to prove that... I want to know:

1. How long are the 145th Street platforms?

2. How much is the distance between the south end of the station to the switches?

Besides there is not much patronage at that station, compared to South Ferry. So what's the point?

So I don't see the point of extending it.

We should all be grateful that it wasn't closed (like the 4 on the original IRT)

-What line is that?????

-*FACEPALM* Is there a need to extend the platforms? The demand is not high. In fact, there is no boarding on the uptown side. All boarding is done on the downtown side.

So? It could be a lay up.

1. I do not think there are HORDES OF PEOPLE wanting to get out at 145.

2. The people who wish to get off know where to jump off and they will know where to sit. It's posted on the signs. Duhhhhh.

The purpose is not for any demand, but to eliminate the possibility of a conductor opening up with the rear half of the train out of the station. (Hence, the reason they used for not using the SF loop for the (5)).

Plus, it would be good in case any people did forget to move up to the first five, or even if they did not have time to.

(1) trains fully fitting in South Ferry is great, which leaves 14 Street-Union Square (Lexington Avenue section (4)(5)(6)) the only station to use Gap Fillers. Isn't that something, now the South Ferry Loops Gap fillers will be rendered useless.

Times Square still using them on the shuttle... :P

Are you sure? There is no elevated station currently that restricts only the first 5 cars for entering.

About 145th St, it's not worth it. The current loading works due to the layout of 148th St as well. No one goes from 148th to 145th Sts (meaning they'd have to run to the first 5 cars) because the M7 and M102 are right there. It would be nice, but money is needed elsewhere.

Yeah exactly, the money should go into renovating some stations that are severely dilapidated (West End and Sea Beach lines, for example), rather than extending this station.

Plus, it would be good in case any people did forget to move up to the first five, or even if they did not have time to.

So? Forget to get off? Leave at 148th Street.

stupid question, i thought the old south ferry station was destroyed because of the world trade center. so there just making a new station because of the 5 car problem?

No, it wasn't even damaged by it. The tunnel to it was cut off by the debris and the MTA did a little bit of work on the SF loop during that period. The new SF station was not so much a result of 9/11 as it is SF being a somewhat useful station that can only have a train with half the doors open in it.

stupid question, i thought the old south ferry station was destroyed because of the world trade center. so there just making a new station because of the 5 car problem?

No. The current South Ferry station on the OUTER loop was never destroyed. The station on the INNER loop is defunct because the shuttle was closed down. With the shuttle closed, there was no need to continue to have operations there, thus they closed the station down.

Well yes, the new station is built to alleviate delays due to the curve. When a stub end terminus is built, two trains are able to be parked for a longer duration of time. The existing set-up is on a balloon loop, meaning only one train could enter the zone and could only be parked for a short amount of time.

Cortlandt Street on the 1 is COMPLETELY DEMOLISHED. It was severely destroyed due to the WTC attacks. The South Tower sat directly above the south end of the station. Columns from the tower struck through the tunnel wall and into the station itself, destroying the columns inside. Due to that reason and because of then-ongoing recovery/rebuilding efforts at WTC, the entire tunnel from Liberty Street to around Vesey Street was COMPLETELY rebuilt between March 2002 to August 2002. This called for the necessary closure of the 1 south of Chambers Street.

Archived