Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Eastman346

R42 on the (R) today

There is a single set running on the (R). I usually see it during rush hours.

R42 cars are rare on the (R), mostly R46 cars. R40M's have appeared on the (R) lately and sometimes intermixed with R42 cars. Strange, but it's there. R42 cars on the (R) are cool.

Today I rode the end of an R42 (R) train in car #4559. I'm guessing this is due to the retiring of the R32 cars that frequent the (R) line from time to time. I found it very rare to see an R42 set on the 4th Ave Local. Does anyone know if this been frequent lately?

img_5392.jpg

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?5392

nice picture...man my r42s were so new back then!!!

and now they are rusted tin cans with ugly interiors. they were abused on the (J)(M)(Z) for over 20 years and ENY does not clean their cars. In fact, the Coney Island R42s looked in much better shape than them. idk why (NYCT) got rid of them first.

ENY does clean their cars, just on the R42s it's so hard to keep up with all the delinquents on the line vandalizing everything that can hold their tag on it.

As for the OP, one or two R42s mixed with R40s run on the (R) every day. There used to be two to six R32 sets running on the line every day during the rush, now its 32s and 42s.

Today I rode the end of an R42 (R) train in car #4559. I'm guessing this is due to the retiring of the R32 cars that frequent the (R) line from time to time. I found it very rare to see an R42 set on the 4th Ave Local. Does anyone know if this been frequent lately?

img_5392.jpg

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?5392

Yeah I saw an entire R42 set on 29 December 2008, they have been happening for a while. Not new at all. Great picture though.

Yeah, when they were new they look really awesome.

ENY does clean their cars, just on the R42s it's so hard to keep up with all the delinquents on the line vandalizing everything that can hold their tag on it.

As for the OP, one or two R42s mixed with R40s run on the (R) every day. There used to be two to six R32 sets running on the line every day during the rush, now its 32s and 42s.

Agreed, there are loads of vandals along the J line. It's hard at East New York. There are reports saying that the R160s on the J look like an epic mess after what people are doing to them.

Yeah I saw an entire R42 set on 29 December 2008, they have been happening for a while. Not new at all. Great picture though.

Agreed, there are loads of vandals along the J line. It's hard at East New York. There are reports saying that the R160s on the J look like an epic mess after what people are doing to them.

Yeah. It sucks. I thought that with the new trains, everyone was going to respect them, but I guess not. The R160s do look like trash with tags on them.

Yeah. It sucks. I thought that with the new trains, everyone was going to respect them, but I guess not. The R160s do look like trash with tags on them.

I know, the MTA should really consider getting the cops to actively bust people tagging subways rather than to berate foamers for snapping pictures of the subway.

and now they are rusted tin cans with ugly interiors. they were abused on the (J)(M)(Z) for over 20 years and ENY does not clean their cars. In fact, the Coney Island R42s looked in much better shape than them. idk why (NYCT) got rid of them first.

The R42 CIs had their share of issues as well...from what I've heard mostly mechanical, but any T/O's out there correct me if I'm wrong. Many Train operators hated their brakes though...

Yeah, but if the MKs go first, then won't some CIs go to ENY? ENY tries to clean the cars, but the vandals on the J are insane. Once a car gets cleaned, the vandals ruin it again.

I mean I ride the (J) every day and I do admit the'160s are rather clean but occasionally I see some marker here scratchiti there at least the seats are fresh and the windows are stain free and the walls are clean also..the floors are eh cause its like they got like some smudge on them im no neat freak but they are fine...my R42's on the other hand...yikes...spray paint the roof and under neath it ASAP...and the walls too...oh man, geez

I mean I ride the (J) every day and I do admit the'160s are rather clean but occasionally I see some marker here scratchiti there at least the seats are fresh and the windows are stain free and the walls are clean also..the floors are eh cause its like they got like some smudge on them im no neat freak but they are fine...my R42's on the other hand...yikes...spray paint the roof and under neath it ASAP...and the walls too...oh man, geez

Yeah the R42s on the J are in horrible conditions. They are the victims of the vandals.

So the ENY R-160s are not yet an "epic mess" as someone else claimed. That's good to hear. I haven't been on the (J) since it became mostly R-160s, but from what I've seen on the (M), they're still in great shape. Unfortunately, I would expect that as time goes by and the R-160s are no longer considered "new", they might see more vandalism and less effort to keep them clean. From what I'm hearing, it doesn't seem like the remaining R-42s are getting much TLC at ENY. =(

So the ENY R-160s are not yet an "epic mess" as someone else claimed. That's good to hear. I haven't been on the (J) since it became mostly R-160s, but from what I've seen on the (M), they're still in great shape. Unfortunately, I would expect that as time goes by and the R-160s are no longer considered "new", they might see more vandalism and less effort to keep them clean. From what I'm hearing, it doesn't seem like the remaining R-42s are getting much TLC at ENY. =(

yeah they are really not...the roofs are never painted...marker and graffiti on the train...interior is I wud say...I think the worse one of the subway...like if ride an R40 and then walk into an R42 you def notice the difference. the other day I saw an R42 on the E that had silver paint on the roof...it looked good i must say..I dunno...time is running out...the R42 turns 40 this may. the R32 looked good at 40...like 5 years ago

yeah they are really not...the roofs are never painted...marker and graffiti on the train...interior is I wud say...I think the worse one of the subway...like if ride an R40 and then walk into an R42 you def notice the difference. the other day I saw an R42 on the E that had silver paint on the roof...it looked good i must say..I dunno...time is running out...the R42 turns 40 this may. the R32 looked good at 40...like 5 years ago

There is a sharp difference. Especially since the R42s currently used are the MKs which spent a good deal of time on the Jamaica Line.

1 minute ago, thicctrain said:

Can't believe the 42s are still running and are expected to be displaced to the (B)(D) lines. I use those lines a lot!

Why did you just grave dig an 8 year old thread......?

• LMAO! 1
  • Upvote 3