Articulated Buses at MTA Bus

trainspot12

that cause the street in queens are to narrow for the Artic to move on.

If MTA wanted artics for narrow streets then Van-Hool would be the way to go, since it's a puller type (back wheels turn). The reason is, the depots they borrowed those buses from needed those buses back. I don't think those buses were meant to stay there, but was to test them for future artics. When MTA gets more, trust me, you will see plenty of artics at MTA Bus also. MTA knows they are wasting money, having 40fter on crowded routes. Remember some depots never got them in the past cause they union wanted the drivers to be paid more to drive them. MTA said a quarter extra per hour, the union said they won't be in this borough. That is why they are only in OA, and 1 TA depot (126st).......

No offense to union workers and I understand the pay issue but the MTA should have the right to put artics wherever they want without the worry of the union. In my opinion however, their shouldn't even be higher pay for an artic. Then again, I'm not managing!

• 2 weeks later...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 2.4; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

it don't make sense the artics made the Q111 nd 113 take in lots of crouds and I was mad they took it off.

If MTA wanted artics for narrow streets then Van-Hool would be the way to go, since it's a puller type (back wheels turn). The reason is, the depots they borrowed those buses from needed those buses back. I don't think those buses were meant to stay there, but was to test them for future artics. When MTA gets more, trust me, you will see plenty of artics at MTA Bus also. MTA knows they are wasting money, having 40fter on crowded routes. Remember some depots never got them in the past cause they union wanted the drivers to be paid more to drive them. MTA said a quarter extra per hour, the union said they won't be in this borough. That is why they are only in OA, and 1 TA depot (126st).......

Agreed, puller type artics track, manouver better & don't have the same traction issues in slick weather conditions, however it's not that complicated to operate pusher type artics in normal weather conditions. Now in terms of artic diff., thats Liberty's fault for not asking for it when they received artics in Westchester back in '84. If they asked for .25 an hour, artic diff. today would be near $1 an hour. I agree w/ artic diff., but not w/ barring their use based on labor issues. The bus is used to service passengers, not the B/O(NYCT)

Agreed, puller type artics track, manouver better & don't have the same traction issues in slick weather conditions, however it's not that complicated to operate pusher type artics in normal weather conditions. Now in terms of artic diff., thats Liberty's fault for not asking for it when they received artics in Westchester back in '84. If they asked for .25 an hour, artic diff. today would be near $1 an hour. I agree w/ artic diff., but not w/ barring their use based on labor issues. The bus is used to service passengers, not the B/O(NYCT)

Well you know as well as I do we have slick conditions here, so MTA should have went with Van-Hool for puller type buses. We stayed jack-knifing with those pusher type New-Flyers. One behind the other, destroying service. I don't knwo what you all get to drive the 60fters, but MTA it is $.25 = .0125 cents per extra foot, which raises the chance of an accident up (MTA had a calculation of the percentage, 20% IIRC). The bus is used in passenger service, but I have to respectfully disagree with you on the issue should not be part of negotiation. Want me to drive a 60ft bus, where accident chance increases, pay me for it, or don't give me a mop, broom, and bucket, when an accident happens, if you want to give me the same pay for whatever bus I drive.......

but I have to respectfully disagree with you on the issue should not be part of negotiation. Want me to drive a 60ft bus, where accident chance increases, pay me for it, or don't give me a mop, broom, and bucket, when an accident happens, if you want to give me the same pay for whatever bus I drive.......

Compensation for use yes, prohibiting use in certain CB units, NO. The compensation is a must, just as shift diff. and hazard pay for other positions in other agencies. what I'm sayin' is that the bus should be used where it's needed, not where the union will accept it. The diff. I feel should be a percentage of the HR opposed to a fixed amount, I.E. % more based on the HR to be adjusted w/ raises during CBA negotiations, opposed to $0.25 p/hr fixed until the union re-negotiates, only to be opposed as a seperate barganing issues, that would be lost as a trade for something else that gets us sold down the river(NYCT)

that cause the street in queens are to narrow for the Artic to move on.
Why do so many people talk about Artics not being able to handle streets in Queens? Have yall been on them enough to know that they turn better than 40 footers and do well on narrow streets? It has NOTHING to do with that. Them Artics handle the Bx1, 2, 4, 5, 8, 9, 12 (and they do a U TURN with them on the Bx12 local), 19, 22, 26, 28, 30, 36, 39, 40, 41, 42, and 55. What makes you think they can't handle Queens? They're the same width as 40 footers too.

Why do so many people talk about Artics not being able to handle streets in Queens? Have yall been on them enough to know that they turn better than 40 footers and do well on narrow streets? It has NOTHING to do with that. Them Artics handle the Bx1, 2, 4, 5, 8, 9, 12 (and they do a U TURN with them on the Bx12 local), 19, 22, 26, 28, 30, 36, 39, 40, 41, 42, and 55. What makes you think they can't handle Queens? They're the same width as 40 footers too.

Also the Bx9 does a U-turn at the border

I had said it awhile ago, those depots that those buses were taken from, needed their buses back. I doubt those buses were meant to stay at MTA Bus. They just tested them, so when artics are ordered in the future, they know where they can use them. Gun Hill and KB, have no artics they can give away. The buses were at those depots, and they need enough buses to make service for their artic routes. You see how well that is going with 40fters showing up on 60ft routes. Hopefully MTA will get smart, and order plenty of extra artics. Heck, just about all (if not all) of KB's routes can use artics (Bx18 is questionable). That depot should be like 100st, and 100% artic, IMO........

Archived