No trains via Whitehall Late nights?

mark1447

Ok I know that if the MTA doesnt get more funds to get out of the budget drop, we will lose service and get changes.

Now my question is:

I notice on the PDF public hearing it says:

............Operate (N) via Manhattan Bridge late nights.

Eliminate (W), extend (Q) to Astoria during the hours the (W) operates, and operate (N) local in Manhattan north of Canal St. Eliminate............

During Late nights, what would serve for "VIA WHITEHALL"?

I doubt the (R) would, seeing it runs as the 4th Avenue (S) from 36th to bay ridge during these hours.

Unless we gotta start using the (1) or (4) train during late nights??

BTW if you attending the public hearing, or want more information regarding changes under NYCT, MaBSTOA, Bus Company, MNRR, LIRR and so, go here:

http://mta.info/mta/09/2009_fare_service_notice.pdf

(Make sure you have a PDF software to view such as Adobe Free)

it doesnt seem fair at all

cuz normally i would ride via Whitehall when the (Q) had a g/o down there

like when there was no (N)(R) via 60th street for a month, nov.

Now this could lead to overcrowding service on the (4) and possiably on the (1)

seeing that broad street on the (J) is closed all of Weekend

it doesnt seem fair at all

cuz normally i would ride via Whitehall when the (Q) had a g/o down there

like when there was no (N)(R) via 60th street for a month, nov.

Now this could lead to overcrowding service on the (4) and possiably on the (1)

seeing that broad street on the (4) is closed all of Weekend

don't you mean the (J)

I think the R train may go up to Pacific Street, Local then passengers can transfer for the 4 train. I think the R once terminated at Pacific Street late night.

During the Stillwell Reconstruction Project ( Sept 8, 2002 - February 21, 2004 ), late night (N)&(R) service ran to Atlantic Av-Pacific St. Now, February 21, 2004 was the last day of Brooklyn (W) service, which would come to an end, later that night,(12am-Feb 22, 2004) and the (D) would replace the (W), and late night-24/7 (N) service would once again revive, cutting the (R) back down to 36 St. Stillwell Opened back up to the (F) & (Q) on Sun, May 23, 2004, and fully reopened & once again extending the (N) back to Coney Island on Sun, May 29, 2005. Late nights, when the (N) & (R) ran to Pacific St, the (R) was Local to 36 St, then ran via 4 Av Express to Pacific St, while the (N) ran 4 Av Express between 59 St and Pacific St. The (W) was the 24/7 Astoria to Coney Island Train, and ran Local, nights and weekends, and via Broadway Express, weekdays only.

Zachary

A compromise could be that the Rector St station late night could close but keep the (N)running overnight via Whitehall.

In all due respect almost all of the Lower Manahttan stations other than South Ferry/Whitehall and Fulton are ghost towns overnights with little or no passengers at all.

Agree... now that the South Ferry-Whitehall passageway is opened, if the R passengers need Rector, they could transfer at South Ferry for the 1 to Rector. The trains could bypass Rector, IMO.

From a Bronx standpoint, you may be worried about the (1), but I think the greater effect will be those traveling to Brooklyn via the IRT which will experience the bulk of former late-night (N) ridership through both Lower Manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn. I usually take the (N) when returning to Brooklyn at late-night hours, but from my limited experience on the (4), it's fairly crowded (at least on a Friday or Saturday night), so I don't know how well it will handle the additional crowds S/O 14th St.

I think the R train may go up to Pacific Street, Local then passengers can transfer for the 4 train. I think the R once terminated at Pacific Street late night.

yea it did. when the Stillwell Av Reconstruction started, the (N)(R) would terminate at Pacific St Late Nights.

(N) via 4 Ave Express skipping 45 St and 53 St,

(R) via 4 Ave Express with stops at 45 St and 53 St.

The (W) would make all local stops between 36 St, Brooklyn and Ditmars Blvd-Astoria, Queens via 4 Av Local, via the (R) line, via Broadway and Astoria Local.

When the Manhattan Bridge project was done, the (R) started terminating at 36 St Late Nights again, the (W) was replaced by the (D) in Brooklyn, the <Q> replaced by the (;) in Brooklyn and late night service on the (W) was switched back to the (N). The (Q) remained unchanged.

So now the (R) terminates at 36 St Late Nights with the (D)(N) providing local service:

(D) via 4 Ave Local from 36 St to DeKalb Av, then normal to and from the Bronx,

(N) via 4 Ave from 59 St to DeKalb Av, then on the (R) line to Canal St, then local to and from Astoria.

yea it did. when the Stillwell Av Reconstruction started, the (N)(R) would terminate at Pacific St Late Nights.

(N) via 4 Ave Express skipping 45 St and 53 St,

(R) via 4 Ave Express with stops at 45 St and 53 St.

The (W) would make all local stops between 36 St, Brooklyn and Ditmars Blvd-Astoria, Queens via 4 Av Local, via the (R) line, via Broadway and Astoria Local.

When the Manhattan Bridge project was done, the (R) started terminating at 36 St Late Nights again, the (W) was replaced by the (D) in Brooklyn, the <Q> replaced by the (;) in Brooklyn and late night service on the (W) was switched back to the (N). The (Q) remained unchanged.

So now the (R) terminates at 36 St Late Nights with the (D)(N) providing local service:

(D) via 4 Ave Local from 36 St to DeKalb Av, then normal to and from the Bronx,

(N) via 4 Ave from 59 St to DeKalb Av, then on the (R) line to Canal St, then local to and from Astoria.

Correction. The (W)between 2001-04 during both the Stillwell and Manhattan Bridge projects would still run along the post 2004 existing (N)route as Bway/4th Ave express weekdays 6am-Midnight. The (W)would make all stops via Bway Local/via Whitehalll at all other times weekends and overnights.

The (N) would also operate as a shuttle only weekends too.

During the Stillwell Reconstruction Project ( Sept 8, 2002 - February 21, 2004 ), late night (N)&(R) service ran to Atlantic Av-Pacific St. Now, February 21, 2004 was the last day of Brooklyn (W) service, which would come to an end, later that night,(12am-Feb 22, 2004) and the (D) would replace the (W), and late night-24/7 (N) service would once again revive, cutting the (R) back down to 36 St. Stillwell Opened back up to the (F) & (Q) on Sun, May 23, 2004, and fully reopened & once again extending the (N) back to Coney Island on Sun, May 29, 2005. Late nights, when the (N) & (R) ran to Pacific St, the (R) was Local to 36 St, then ran via 4 Av Express to Pacific St, while the (N) ran 4 Av Express between 59 St and Pacific St. The (W) was the 24/7 Astoria to Coney Island Train, and ran Local, nights and weekends, and via Broadway Express, weekdays only.

Zachary

Did anybody see that I posted this already?

Correction. The (W)between 2001-04 during both the Stillwell and Manhattan Bridge projects would still run along the post 2004 existing (N)route as Bway/4th Ave express weekdays 6am-Midnight. The (W)would make all stops via Bway Local/via Whitehalll at all other times weekends and overnights.

The (N) would also operate as a shuttle only weekends too.

oh yea i forgot the (N) would run as a shuttle. my bad.

The stock exchanges close at 4 PM. Lower Manhattan isn't bustling like midtown late at night. I don't see the problem.

I've walked much of Lower Manhattan in the early AM hours (1-3 AM) and it is D-E-A-D down there. Almost scarily so. You could close every station except South Ferry and I don't think anyone would miss a thing.

Would I advocate closing stations? No.

I've walked much of Lower Manhattan in the early AM hours (1-3 AM) and it is D-E-A-D down there. Almost scarily so. You could close every station except South Ferry and I don't think anyone would miss a thing.

True, but why would you close them at night, then let trains pass and let's say they go to Whitehall St, they still have to use those tracks to bypass stations?! I hope the (MTA) gets some money and not close them at all.

well Whitehall street is very close to SF station

and I doubt the (4) would close, seeing it needs to head to New lots to replace (3)

True, but why would you close them at night, then let trains pass and let's say they go to Whitehall St, they still have to use those tracks to bypass stations?! I hope the (MTA) gets some money and not close them at all.

Backline have you been to other subway systems outside NYC? In Chicago for example lightly used stations are closed overnights and weekends. Closer to home ditto for Metro North and LIRR.

Stations on (R)(N)(W)Bway Local station in Lower Manhattan are close walks to other nearby stations. If this line was a long walk then i agree.

If riders from Brooklyn want stations like Rector and City Hall they can transfer at Pacific-Atlantic for the (4) or soon at Whitehall for the (1)

At this point i would rather a station that a ghost town at overnights like Rector on the (R)(N)(late nights only)or the Rockaway park (S)stations close to 'save the (W) and (M)Peak Hour South Brooklyn service so be it.

Backline have you been to other subway systems outside NYC? In Chicago for example lightly used stations are closed overnights and weekends. Closer to home ditto for Metro North and LIRR.

In fact, the only two operating lines during the twilight hours are the Red and the Blue. The loop lines, IIRC, are all closed then.

Archived