New free transfers at Subway Stations

R32 Anthony

Let's create new free transfers between lines. In Manhattan, I like to see a pathway between Bowling Green (4,5) and Whitehall Street/South Ferry (1,R.) Canal Street (1) connects to the Canal Street (A,C,and E lines.) In Brooklyn, Broadway (G) and the Lorimer Street (J, M.) Livonia Street (L) and Junius St (3.) Jay Street (A,C, and F) to Lawrence Street (M, R.) Fulton Street (G) and Lafayette Street (C.) Feel free to think of other close transfer points.

1. Free transfer between Grand Street (B)(D) and Bowery (J)(M) and (Z) in Manhattan, there, the (M) riders coming from North Brooklyn to Bensonhurst during Non rush hours go to (D) for West End service.

2. Whitehall Street South-Ferry (N)(R) and (W) and South Ferry (1). That won't be a bad idea either.

Isn't this already a part of new South Ferry station?

Yes.. These are under construction: the Jay-Myrtle connection (A)(C)(F)/(M)(R). And a connection linking WTC (E) with Cortlandt Street (R)(W) And Court Square-Ely Avenue (E)(G)(V) and Court House Square (7)

1. Bowling Green (4)(5) and Whitehall Street/South Ferry (R)(W)(1)

2. Broadway Lafayette (B)(D)(F)(V) and both sides of Bleecker Street (6)

3. Broad Street (J)(M)(Z) and Wall Street (4)(5)

4. Bowery (J)(M)(Z) and Grand Street (:)(D)

5. Livonia Avenue (L) and Junius Street (3)

(MTA) was suppose to implicate a subway transfer b/w Livonia Avenue (L) subway station and Junius Street (3) subway station, but of course the idea never fell through. They talk a lot of crap and have no action behind it. Though I would love to see a free transfer from Queens Plaza (E)(G)(R)(V) subway station and Queensboro Plaza (7)<7>(N)(W) subway station. Reason I say that its for ppl whom an access the (N) or (W) to Astoria w/o taking the (R) to Lexington Avenue-59th Street and walk across the platform for the (N) or (W) to get bck into Queens and/or take the (E) or (V) to 23rd Street-Ely Avenue and walk that long corridor for the (7)<7> just to take it one stop over for the (N) and (W)

The transfer will be part of the new station.

My ideas for transfers (either MetroCard or enclosed)-

Atlantic Av.-Fulton St.-Lafayette Av. (B)(Q)(D)(M)(N)(R)(C)(G)

South Ferry-Bowling Green-Broad St. (R)(W)(J)(M)(Z)(1)(4)(5)

Queens Plaza-Queensboro Plaza-21 St. (E)(F)(G)(R)(V)(N)(W)(7)<7>

Simpson St.-Hunts Point Av. (2)(5)(6)

Too long. Try walking from those two stations. There not close as you think.

Perhaps, if a new mezzanine is built on the north end of the station with an exit onto say, Broome, that will minimise the walking distance.

But we do have long transfers:

-Times Square Station and IND 42nd Street on the 8th Avenue Line

-14th Street on the IRT and the 6th Ave/14th Street Complex

If the 2nd ave is built,

(T) seaport station with the (A)(C)(4)(5)(2)(3)(J)(M) Z R W Path Fultion Street station.

(B)(D)(T) Grand Street with the Bowery (J)(M)(Z)

(G) with the (J)(M)

(3) with the (L) in Brooklyn

(E)(V)(G)(R) with the (7)(N)(W) at Queens Plaza

(G) with the (2)(3)(4)(5)(D)(:)(Q)(R)(N) station at atlantic pacific.

(B)(D) with the (L)(1)(2)(3)(F) V at 14th Street.

(4)(5) with the (1)(R)(W) at South Ferry

Broadway Lafayette and both sides of Bleecker Street
They are builting that.

The transfer will be part of the new station.

My ideas for transfers (either MetroCard or enclosed)-

Atlantic Av.-Fulton St.-Lafayette Av. (B)(Q)(D)(M)(N)(R)(C)(G)

South Ferry-Bowling Green-Broad St. (R)(W)(J)(M)(Z)(1)(4)(5)

Queens Plaza-Queensboro Plaza-21 St. (E)(F)(G)(R)(V)(N)(W)(7)<7>

Simpson St.-Hunts Point Av. (2)(5)(6)

Hmmmmm.....Lafayette Avenue (C) and Fulton Street (G) subway stations are no where close to Atlantic Avenue-Pacific Street.....its closer to Nevins Street. Techincally the (C) and (G) should get the free subway transfer. Queens Plaza is closer to Queensboro Plaza than 21st Street-Queensbridge!

If the 2nd ave is built,

(T) seaport station with the (A)(C)(4)(5)(2)(3)(J)(M) Z R W Path Fultion Street station.

(G) with the (J)(M)

They are builting that.

No major work has been done at B'way Laff. I use that station almost every single day. It's all on paper and ink.

Why would you want to connect the BD with the L??

If the 2nd ave is built,

(G) with the (J)(M)

They are builting that.

The 6th Avenue Express trains do not stop @ 14th Street....thats a local station

A free transfer should be built between 7th Avenue (;)(Q) and Grand Army Plaza (2)(3) that way people don't have to go as far as Atlantic Avenue. A new concourse to the Fulton Street/Lafayette Avenue (C)(G) concourse would work but due to the distance (2 1/2 city blocks), a people mover (sideways escalator) should be used.

Most needed is the transfer between Livonia and Junis (L)(3)(4). This transfer would make so much sense and many people would get to Manhattan faster. As of right now, all Canarsian's has to rely on, is the (J)(Z) and the over packed (A)(C) line. If that transfer is built, Canarsian's can travel to Manhattan faster, efficient, and they wont be packed like sardines on the damned (A) Train.

The next generation of transfer should be done between the Bedford Park Blvd (4) and (B)(D). It will be a built as a brightly lit wide passageway

and it will connect deeper then the Bedford Underpass with ADA wide elevators to all levels. It can even be use to shoot passengers from The Concourse to the (4) Passage.

Hmmmmm.....Lafayette Avenue (C) and Fulton Street (G) subway stations are no where close to Atlantic Avenue-Pacific Street.....its closer to Nevins Street. Techincally the (C) and (G) should get the free subway transfer. Queens Plaza is closer to Queensboro Plaza than 21st Street-Queensbridge!

The (G) is pretty close actually, (C) is a little father.

I'd make an underground passageway under St. Felix Street (or maybe Ft. Greene) and it would connect to the (;)(Q) Atlantic Ave Station at its entrance on Hanson Place. The connection to the passageway would be at the bottom of the escalators so you can either exit the station through the escalators or transfer to the (G) through the passageway.

Forget about the (C) though, just transfer at Hoyt from the (G).

Since the (L) to the (3) transfer is being mentioned a lot here, I noticed that there is a closed mezz at the eastern end of Junius St, right next to the bridge to Livonia Av. I'm not sure what condition it is in, but in the event that the MTA was to make the transfer, that should be activated. The other exit is almost to the western end of the platform, so crowds (if there were to be any) would be even. The transfer would be welcomed; taking the (L) to Broadway Junction is much easier than taking the buses around that area, partly because Livonia gets a lot of extra rush hour trains, and the buses make a lot of stops. But in this time, I seriously doubt the transfer will be built because the B15 is very close to the (3) (one block from my station, two from Pennsylvania, and right at the exit at New Lots), and people could use that to get to the (L).

And, the Lawrence St transfer is already being provisioned, I visited there in November, they've lain the poles to start construction, which is great.

While I would welcome a Grand Army Plaza-7th Av transfer, there is a distance there, and other transfers should have a priority, because E. Pkwy local riders can already transfer at Atlantic or take a chance at the Franklin Av (S) for the (;) and (Q).

The Union St-Broadway (G) to (J)/(M) transfer, I feel should have been made a long time ago, but since no station was built at Union St, which would be closer, Lorimer or Hewes? That can be made out of system for the time being if it were to be implemented.

With Fulton/Lafayette (C) to (G), I stand at the same position as Grand Army/7th Av, other transfers should be built first because of the existing one at Hoyt-Schermerhorn if they were to actually build this passageway.

Since there is a transfer already at Wall St & Broad St (4)/(5) to (J)/(M)/(Z), I would say to just make that a free transfer (it currently requires another fare even though it's in the tunnel), but that requires some work to make fare entrances for Equitable Building customers, and that's more than likely a waste of money, since Fulton St is quite close.

Those are my thoughts.

Let's create new free transfers between lines. In Manhattan, I like to see a pathway between Bowling Green (4,5) and Whitehall Street/South Ferry (1,R.) Canal Street (1) connects to the Canal Street (A,C,and E lines.) In Brooklyn, Broadway (G) and the Lorimer Street (J, M.) Livonia Street (L) and Junius St (3.) Jay Street (A,C, and F) to Lawrence Street (M, R.) Fulton Street (G) and Lafayette Street (C.) Feel free to think of other close transfer points.

there is already a free transfer planned between Lawrence Street-MetroTech and Jay Street-Borough Hall along with Livonia Avenue and Junius Street and between Whitehall Street-South Ferry and Bowling Green. there is a short employee-only connection between Fulton Street and Lafayette Street. a free transfer would be pointless between those stations because you can already do that at Hoyt-Schermerhorn Streets. i think a transfer between broadway and lorimer street would be a good idea.

1. Exsisting plan to connect the (1), (9) 'South Ferry' and (R), (W) 'Whitehall' with the (4), (5) 'Bowling Green'...

2. (E) 'World Trade' with (R), (W) 'Cortlandt'...

3. (E), (V), (G), (R) 'Queens Plaza' with (N), (W), (7) 'Queensboro Plaza'...

4. (M), (R) 'Lawrence' with (A), (C), (F) 'Jay - Borough Hall'

5. (3) 'Junius or Pennsylvania' with the (L) 'Livonia'

6. (G) 'Broadway' with (J), (Z) 'Hewes'

That is all I got for today...

1. They should. It will only benefit those who would transfer from the (1) to the (4)(5) or (R)(W) to the (4)(5). However those from Bowling Green that want to go to South Ferry would still have to bear a long walk.

2. Apparently they are doing that. It is on paper. If it is done in coordination with the FSTC/WTC Transportation Hub project it will be built.

3. Totally.

4. Under construction.

5. It could be done quickly, since there is a passageway between the two stations.

6. An out of system transfer should be implemented first to test the amount of patrons benefiting from this. If it works well, an enclosed passageway should be constructed. However, if the OOS falls short of the expected number, it should remain with provision that the transfer will be built in the future.

Bway-Laf with Prince St. those are very close, and there are a pair of stairways to some electrical room or something on Bway-Laf that look like provisions for such a connection.

there is already a free transfer planned between Lawrence Street-MetroTech and Jay Street-Borough Hall along with Livonia Avenue and Junius Street and between Whitehall Street-South Ferry and Bowling Green.
I had sent in a suggestion for Livonia using a new foot bridge along the north side of the IRT line paralleling the existing foor bridge along the south side. A new one would be completely within fare control, while the other one would remains outside far control, because it is also the access to the station and the other side of Livonia Av. for that side of the LIRR tracks. The new would would connect straight to that unused mezzanine, of course.

But they recently sent it back, citing low need or something like that, and that people could just walk to two blocks. I had explained in the suggestion how difficult that was, because you have to walk the whole length of the station on the street, and then go up a long flight of stairs. To build a direct connection between the stations would make the transfer much easier, and attractive. And a simply bride consisting of columns and a deck would be relatively minor, cheap construction.

there is a short employee-only connection between Fulton Street and Lafayette Street.
Where is this at? Are you talking about in the tunnel beyond the stations where the lines are runnign next to each other?

Bway-Laf with Prince St. those are very close, and there are a pair of stairways to some electrical room or something on Bway-Laf that look like provisions for such a connection.

I had sent in a suggestion for Livonia using a new foot bridge along the north side of the IRT line paralleling the existing foor bridge along the south side. A new one would be completely within fare control, while the other one would remains outside far control, because it is also the access to the station and the other side of Livonia Av. for that side of the LIRR tracks. The new would would connect straight to that unused mezzanine, of course.

But they recently sent it back, citing low need or something like that, and that people could just walk to two blocks. I had explained in the suggestion how difficult that was, because you have to walk the whole length of the station on the street, and then go up a long flight of stairs. To build a direct connection between the stations would make the transfer much easier, and attractive. And a simply bride consisting of columns and a deck would be relatively minor, cheap construction. Where is this at? Are you talking about in the tunnel beyond the stations where the lines are runnign next to each other?

Broadway Lafayette and Prince does sound good, since the stations are very close to each other. This allows for better transfers between the IND 6th Avenue and the BMT Broadway lines. Lord forbid that there is another G.O on the D (scheduled maintenance on the bridge), the riders could get off at Broadway Lafayette, connect to the N at Prince (yes, the N runs local in Manhattan on weekends, when the GOs normally take place) and take that to Brooklyn.

IMO, a transfer between Lafayette Ave and Fulton Street is not needed. JUST TRANSFER AT HOYT SCHERMERHORN (which is only one stop away)

But they recently sent it back, citing low need or something like that, and that people could just walk to two blocks. I had explained in the suggestion how difficult that was, because you have to walk the whole length of the station on the street, and then go up a long flight of stairs. To build a direct connection between the stations would make the transfer much easier, and attractive. And a simply bride consisting of columns and a deck would be relatively minor, cheap construction. Where is this at? Are you talking about in the tunnel beyond the stations where the lines are runnign next to each other?

yeah, in that tunnel, there is a connection between lafayette and fulton street, but a free transfer would be a waste since you can already do it at hoyt-schermerhorn.

Archived