Bernie Madoff to remain free on bail: Judge

Trainspotter

Bernie Madoff is so despised he had to wear a bulletproof vest today to a court hearing where a judge again rejected prosecutors' attempts to toss him in jail.

"I think the chance of Mr. Madoff fleeing is as close to nil as you can get," Manattan Federal Judge Lawrence McKenna said.

"The freeze on the assets has made it close to impossible for the defendant to dispose anything valuable."

The 70-year-old swindler had the body armor under a black overcoat when he arrived at the Manhattan courthouse.

Prosecutors told the judge his bail should be revoked because he mailed $1 million in jewelry to family members in an effort to hide his assets.

"The critical fact is that the defendant, knowing of the order, consenting to the order, violated it," Assistant U.S. Attorney Marc Litt said.

"And by violating it, the defendant acted 180 degrees opposite to his stated intent after his arrest, which was to see to it that the victims got back as much as possible."

Madoff's attorney, Ira Sorkin, called the transfer of jewelry "a desperate and futile effort" by Madoff to "reconnect" with his family.

"These had been sent out, in error, innocently, stupidly," he said.

Madoff, charged with the largest fraud in U.S. history, was freed on $10 million bail Dec. 11 but is confined to his East Side penthouse.

Prosecutors tried to get his bail revoked last week, saying the jewelry caper showed he couldn't be trusted.

A magistrate judge shot down their argument but imposed new restrictions on Madoff, including inspection of his mail.

Prosecutors appealed and the case went to McKenna, who ruled swiftly from the bench.

Madoff, who prosecutors say suckered his clients out of $50 billion, sat somberly during the hearing, dressed in a charcoal gray suit and dark navy blue tie.

BY THOMAS ZAMBITO AND TRACY CONNOR

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

January 14th 2009

post-5-133288580212_thumb.jpg

post-5-133288580212_thumb.jpg

I thought someone would shoot or blow up the car he was riding in on his way to court today. He really pissed off a lot of people. I don't see they guy living much longer. Someone is going to get to him. They'd better keep a close eye on him.

Agreed. This crook(imo based on evidence he is one so no apologies from me on that one comment)runied so many peoples lives so i wont be shocked if a Mob style attack occurs. I am not condoning it but Harry does bring up an excellent point of that form of revenage.

And if he found gulity they will send him to 'club fed' as if he in general population, he be dead within a week from other prisoners who think of him almost as 'low' as a rapist.

As much as I would like to see this guy rot it's not gonna happen. He's not going to end up in population anywhere and the fact that they're giving him bail just because they don't consider him a "flight risk" is total BS. I mean, the guy is having to wear a bullet proof vest, that pretty much says it all....

I thought someone would shoot or blow up the car he was riding in on his way to court today. He really pissed off a lot of people. I don't see they guy living much longer. Someone is going to get to him. They'd better keep a close eye on him.

it's bad enough everybody know where he lives...

• 2 weeks later...

you do know it costs the government $$$ to keep people in jail right?

i say this guy is so bad he doesn't even deserve to have the city spend money on him ya get what im saying?

besides hes not a danger he's not gonna kill anyone or blow anything up so just let him live his sick evil corrupted life and thats it

I wouldn't say race at all. I believe the judge may be African American. I'd say it would be more of an issue of social class in terms of earnings. But please elaborate on that though.

not race definitely social class

i wouldn't be suprised if he's trying to make a deal with the judge so he would be in less trouble..

Archived