US Airways Jet crashes into Hudson River after takeoff from LaGuardia

duelingdragons

Watched the news. The plane's tail is above water (thats all I can see of it). I can't tell too well but theres a fleet of boats around it. Apparently some people were on the wing. I hope everybody is alright. The general thing seems to be the plane fell in a controlled sort of landing due to a flock of geese.

Hmm.. first indications show that everyone got off the plane safely.

Amazing job by the pilot.

No, not everyone is rescued yet. Half of the plane has been rescued. They're trying to get people out of the back of the plane.

The pilot had to hit the river because the only other place will be Manhattan or New Jersey. Hit a flock of geese.

No, not everyone is rescued yet. Half of the plane has been rescued. They're trying to get people out of the back of the plane.

The pilot had to hit the river because the only other place will be Manhattan or New Jersey. Hit a flock of geese.

If most of the passegngers survived this, the pilot is a hero IMO. I know it's early for a cause but i dont buy the 'bird' argument as cause of this accident. I think it weather related due to the cold and maybe the engine failed.

This US Airways had combined 151 people (146 passengers & 5 crew)heading for Charoltee.

Thankfully it looks like it's not Terrorist related.

I know it's early for a cause but i dont buy the 'bird' argument as cause of this accident.

It's been confirmed that Canadian Geese were sucked into both of the plane's engines, shutting them down.

Also, there were NO fatalities. Every single passenger and crew member escaped without serious injury.

Amazing.

Now they are saying 154 or 155 on board. That this occurred only blocks away from two NY Waterway terminals and the Circle Line pier also helped a lot.

BTW, the plane is now tied to a pier near the World Financial Center.

Also, because everyone survived (most serious injury is a broken leg), you may want to view this:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AWE1549/history/20090115/2004Z/KLGA/KLGA

Try not to laugh.

Now they are saying 154 or 155 on board. That this occurred only blocks away from two NY Waterway terminals and the Circle Line pier also helped a lot.

BTW, the plane is now tied to a pier near the World Financial Center.

Also, because everyone survived (most serious injury is a broken leg), you may want to view this:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AWE1549/history/20090115/2004Z/KLGA/KLGA

Try not to laugh.

The AP is saying now that 145 Passengers and 6 US Airways crew including the two 'hero' pilots were aboard.

As morbid as it sounds, now that everyone has survived, I would love to see a video of the incident.

Just to see how exactly the pilot was able to manage...

Incredible.

On NY1, an amateur video of the plane's descent into the Hudson just aired. Because everyone survived, there is no morbidity factor. A NY1 reporter happened upon that person at the same time.

Also interesting is that a Flickr user wound up getting the first pictures in the crash.

Lets all give a big round of applause to the pilot for doing as Mayor Bloomberg said, a Masterful Job, and successfully avoiding a great disaster had he didn't try to land onto the Hudson River.

Also big round of applause to the emergency response teams (all area PDs and FDs, the Coast Guard) and the NY Waterway crews who immediately got boats over to where the plane was and help load the passengers to take them to land.

This was truly an incredible day to witness.

Archived