US Airways Jet crashes into Hudson River after takeoff from LaGuardia

duelingdragons

Lets all give a big round of applause to the pilot for doing as Mayor Bloomberg said, a Masterful Job, and successfully avoiding a great disaster had he didn't try to land onto the Hudson River.

Also big round of applause to the emergency response teams (all area PDs and FDs, the Coast Guard) and the NY Waterway crews who immediately got boats over to where the plane was and help load the passengers to take them to land.

This was truly an incredible day to witness.

Stands from my laptop computer at home and begins a loud applause and cheer for both parties.B):cool:(Clap Clap Clapp as it gets louder):tup:

I am sure by Monday this hero pilot will be on all the tv shows and talk shows (ie Today, GMA, Letterman & Leno)and might get an offer for a relaity show (joking)

Lets all give a big round of applause to the pilot for doing as Mayor Bloomberg said, a Masterful Job, and successfully avoiding a great disaster had he didn't try to land onto the Hudson River.

Also big round of applause to the emergency response teams (all area PDs and FDs, the Coast Guard) and the NY Waterway crews who immediately got boats over to where the plane was and help load the passengers to take them to land.

This was truly an incredible day to witness.

That pilot is a hero 100% without a doubt. He's been flying for us airways since 1980 and airforce pilot before that.

For anyone doubting the title hero in this situation let me spell some things out.

Water landings are rare, and successful landings are even more rare, as typically a wave will hit a wing or and engine, making the craft become uneven and spin/tumble and break into pieces, typically killing most on board.

The fact that the plane is intact gives credit to the amazing skills this HERO executed saving everyone on board, and saving the country from another tragedy.

The most severe injury was caused after the landing by a slip/fall.

He checked the plane to make sure everyone was out before leaving himself.

This man is a true hero, and i will never forget the day 155 people were saved because of one person's immense skills and true bravery.

All response personnel, and the rest of the crew, and anyone else on board or involved with the rescue operation are also heros. This is the most perfect outcome you could have expected in this situation.

This guy deserves an award, a medal, a vacation, a handshake, and a pat on the back. Well done sir.

- A

That pilot is a hero 100% without a doubt. He's been flying for us airways since 1980 and airforce pilot before that.

For anyone doubting the title hero in this situation let me spell some things out.

Water landings are rare, and successful landings are even more rare, as typically a wave will hit a wing or and engine, making the craft become uneven and spin/tumble and break into pieces, typically killing most on board.

The fact that the plane is intact gives credit to the amazing skills this HERO executed saving everyone on board, and saving the country from another tragedy.

The most severe injury was caused after the landing by a slip/fall.

He checked the plane to make sure everyone was out before leaving himself.

This man is a true hero, and i will never forget the day 155 people were saved because of one person's immense skills and true bravery.

All response personnel, and the rest of the crew, and anyone else on board or involved with the rescue operation are also heros. This is the most perfect outcome you could have expected in this situation.

This guy deserves an award, a medal, a vacation, a handshake, and a pat on the back. Well done sir.

- A

He should have front seats at Obama's inauguration. Americans need more heroes like him.

Here info about the Pilot who lives in the San Fransico bay area.

SAN FRANCISCO AP (January 15, 2009) -- The pilot who guided a crippled US Airways jetliner safely into the Hudson River -- saving all 155 people aboard -- became an instant hero Thursday, with accolades from the mayor and governor and a fan club online.

The pilot of Flight 1549 was Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger III, 57, of Danville, Calif., near San Fransisco an official familiar with the accident told The Associated Press. Sullenberger is a former fighter pilot who runs a safety consulting firm in addition to flying commercial aircraft.

Sullenberger, who has flown for US Airways since 1980, flew F-4 fighter jets with the Air Force in the 1970s. He then served on a board that investigated aircraft accidents and participated later in several National Transportation Safety Board investigations.

Story continues belowAdvertisement

He is president of Safety Reliability Methods, a California firm that uses "the ultra-safe world of commercial aviation" as a basis for safety consulting in other fields, according to the firm's Web site.

Sullenberger's mailbox at the firm was full on Thursday. A group of fans sprang up on Facebook within hours of the emergency landing.

"OMG, I am terrified of flying but I would be happy to be a passenger on one of your aircraft!!" Melanie Wills in Bristol wrote on the wall of "Fans of Sully Sullenberger." "You have saved a lot of peoples lives and are a true hero!!"

The pilot "did a masterful job of landing the plane in the river and then making sure that everybody got out," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said. "He walked the plane twice after everybody else was off, and tried to verify that there was nobody else on board, and he assures us there was not."

"He was the last one up the aisle and he made sure that there was nobody behind him."

New York Gov. David Paterson pronounced it a "miracle on the Hudson."

A woman who answered the phone at Sullenberger's home in Danville hung up on a reporter who asked to speak with the family.

Candace Anderson, a member of the Danville town council who lives a few blocks from Sullenberger, said it was an amazing story and she was proud to live in the same town as the pilot.

"You look at his training, you look at his experience. It was just the right pilot at the right time in charge of that plane that saved so many lives," Anderson said. "He is a man who is calm, cool, collected, just as he was today."

Sullenberger's co-pilot was Jeff Skiles, 49, of Oregon, Wis., a 23-year US Airways veteran.

"He was OK," said his wife, Barbara. "He was relieved that everybody got off."

(Copyright ©2009 by The Associated Press.

They made two 9/11 movies so a movie about this is possible.

You mean '2' scprited(regular) movies about 9/11. They also been dozens of television and movie documentaries and TV shows like "Law & Order" & '24" who devoted serveral shows around 9/11 events.

I would as a customer would love to see this movie about the "Miracle on the Hudson" if it produced and made right.

Does the news reporters have any common sense??one news reporter ask a passenger on the plane ''are you okay??''how did you feel being out there in the Cold''? what's your name?are you glade to be alive?...I don't think the passenger want to answer those dumb obvious question....and now I wonder how long this going to be in news?maybe till Monday since they will talk about Obama all day on Tuesday.

Guys, you need to realize this is a once in several lifetimes "holy crap everyone survived" a usually 100% fatal scenario. Ditching into water is VERY dangerous and any other pilot would likely have headed to an airport and not made it.

Few people realize teterboro's runways are not at the correct angle for this flight to have utilized it. They would have crashed short into houses/highways.

This is literally the most amazing thing i've ever witnessed on news etc in my life.

Try landing a plane in water, it usually ends up flipping over, doing a cartwheel, or simply flying into pieces. Killing everyone & scattering wreckage that sinks and floating debris for hundreds of feet.

I am not a religious person at all in any way, and i too se this as an utter miracle and have no other way to put it. Key to the city, yes. Ceremony, yes. Parade, yes.

This is like falling down mt everest and just having some bruises when you hit the bottom, so please put it in perspective!!!!

- A

I am not the releglious person either but I do beleive in God. As a Christian and Beleiver (I am not to turn this into a releglious thread it's you guys on how to workship or not)but for the first time since Christmas Day I actually prayed.

TV Reporters everywhere who refuse to mention God and Releglion were saying "God bless the pilot and crew.'

When i went to bed i actually had tears in my ears the first time for a news story since the Hurricane Katrina diaster. Maybe this "Miracle on the Hudson" is payback to New Yorkers and America for what happened to '9/11' and other tragic events over the last few years.

I do think a parade in Lower Manhahhtan might happen as this story is even starting to take attention away from Obama's Igrunation.B)

This is still so shocking in a good way.:)

I don't think it's a good idea to have a parade....Come on think about it....the plot did what he have to do to to make sure the passenger on plane where safe that's his job....and I don't think the plot want all of this media coverage of him anyway...you could go and give him the key to the City....I don't know why the news isn't talking about about Co-plot.

You mean '2' scprited(regular) movies about 9/11. They also been dozens of television and movie documentaries and TV shows like "Law & Order" & '24" who devoted serveral shows around 9/11 events.

I would as a customer would love to see this movie about the "Miracle on the Hudson" if it produced and made right.

They should, but it shouldn't be over-dramatised.

Here's a video from CNN which shows the landing. Theres a better one in the playlist but for some reason it wouldn't allow me to share it (its 1:25 long) and its better in terms of quality.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2009/01/17/coast.guard.crash.landing.coastguard

Great video. This proves even more than Capt Sully and the entire crew on that flight are heros.:tup:

I also saw similar movie, not 9-11 or WTC one, but when Channel 31 local TV station when I was living in Manhattan, and when it was still called PAX-TV, there was movie about Miracle landing and had miracle emergency landing.*

I don't remember the title. It not Passenger #587 movie or Final Destination #1.

I would not be shocked (i am serious)that a Hollywood Producer turns this 'miracle' into a movie.

They would have to be one heck of a producer. The flight lasted 6 minutes. Six minute movie with 84 minutes of ads for lawyers. Look for an episode on Law and Order in the future however.

Archived