Funeral held for the Z train

duelingdragons

"Transit advocates held a mock funeral today to mourn the loss of the Z line, which the Metropolitan Transportation Authority has put on the chopping block.

"Yea, though the Z walks through the valley of the shadow of death, it will fear no MTA plan," said Gene Russianoff of the transit advocacy group, The Straphangers Campaign.

While the Straphangers Campaign staged the mock funeral with tongue firmly in cheek, it says the loss of the Z train is no laughing matter. Along the same line, the MTA plans to shorter the M train and eliminate J/Z skip-stop service.

Although the agency will add extra J trains, the changes will add time to riders' commutes.

"Someone coming from Parsons Boulevard-Jamaica will have about seven minutes added to their trip one-way," said Russianoff. "So when you calculate that twice a day, five days a week, that's an hour of additional commuting time those riders are going to have."

Advocates though say the Z train can be brought back from the dead, if Albany acts on the recommendations of the Ravitch Commission and provides the MTA more funding.

"I'm here to tell you that we believe in resurrection," said Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer. "And we believe that this battle, which now heads to Albany, we have not yet begun to fight."

The protest comes one day after more than 400 people turn out to speak out about the MTA's proposed fare hikes and service cuts. Held at a hotel in Midtown, the MTA's first of eight public hearings ran nearly eight hours, wrapping up after 1 a.m.

Riders of all ages told board members how the fare hikes and service cuts would affect them.

"I'm a little sad that they're cutting those trains," said one young rider. "How are the M-train people going to get to work? Please don't cut the W, M, and Z trains. I like that they are all new. Thanks for letting me speak."

"In the 1970s, most of your express trains ran 24 hours," said another rider. "That needs to be returned."

The MTA says that without help from Albany, it would have to raise single-ride bus and subway fares as high as $3 and cut certain bus routes and train lines to close a $1.2 billion budget deficit.

"I think the public is obviously extremely upset with the proposed service cuts, with the fare increases," said MTA Executive Director and Chief Executive Officer Elliot "Lee" Sander. "And so I don't think we think this is unfair; we just hope that Albany listens and acts to provide the funding that we need."

To prevent the changes, the Legislature would have to take action by March 25.

The second hearing will be held next Tuesday in Queens."

We should hold another one for the W. B)

The (Z) train is gone, oh man, that's not cool, not cool, so long Jamaica Express (Z). The (MTA) has to do what it has to do to save itself, and if cutting subway lines is that, then we'll have to accept that. Cutting service is not something these officals wanted to do at all.

Next on the chopping block, the (W).

(M) and (G) are short.

Rest in peace (W) and (Z), we'll miss riding your train cars,

i didnt know the MTA was dropping the (Z) well should be <Z> i should start a rally to restore the (D) back home to the brighton line and why did the MTA stop using the rush hour Diamond symbols example <Q>?

They don't even use the <Q> anymore. Supposedly it was to reduce confusion of some sort...

I find it funny that that NY1 vid began with an (MTA) ad when I saw it.

The (Z) train is gone, oh man, that's not cool, not cool, so long Jamaica Express (Z). The (MTA) has to do what it has to do to save itself, and if cutting subway lines is that, then we'll have to accept that. Cutting service is not something these officals wanted to do at all.

Next on the chopping block, the (W).

(M) and (G) are short.

Rest in peace (W) and (Z), we'll miss riding your train cars,

I haven't ridden the Z skip stop YET. I will do so.

not sayin i agree with dumping tha (Z) but if i remember correctly wen they cut tha (9) tha (1) still held on and i think ppl seem fine there i know that tha (Z) is important to those who use it but still and cutting tha (W) i think is stupid it really helps wen u get off tha ferry and theres a train waiting 4 yua with seats available plus 160s

The <Q> was an Express Line to supplement the (Q) over the Brighton. It was used in the 80s, then made into the (Q), then that became the (Q6). July 23, 2001, the <Q>was resurrected until February 20, 2004, then replaced by the (B). The diamond symbol is no longer used because, the (MTA) felt, it should only be used to dedicate regular express service, not a rush hour extension. Hence, the <6> & <7> Still exist. The <(M)> to Bay Pky, and <(A)> to Rockaway Park were just 2 out of the few lines that utilized the diamond rush hour symbol on the map, to display its extension..

By the way, is the (Z) totally gone? i haven't heard that they cut it for good yet... Think positive guys! I really don't want to see any of the lines go. I mean, the (M) has been serving south Brooklyn forever, whether it went to Brighton, Bensonhurst, Borough Park. The (M) is a line that goes down in history as a supplement to the Main West End Route(s), the main Brighton train during the week in the 80s, and as the full time Sea Beach, Post9-11-01 Emergency reroutes. When the (W) first ran back on July 22, 2001, I always thought (W)eird on the West End, but after all these years, We've all been accustomed to join the new letter route into our system. Id hate to see it go now.. And the (Z)ach... How could you scrap a letter with such significance, I mean its the end of the alphabet.:cool: lol. In all seriousness, no route deserves to go.....Help us Albany!

Zachary

The <Q> was an Express Line to supplement the (Q) over the Brighton. It was used in the 80s, then made into the (Q), then that became the (Q6). July 23, 2001, the <Q>was resurrected until February 20, 2004, then replaced by the (B). The diamond symbol is no longer used because, the (MTA) felt, it should only be used to dedicate regular express service, not a rush hour extension. Hence, the <6> & <7> Still exist. The <(M)> to Bay Pky, and <(A)> to Rockaway Park were just 2 out of the few lines that utilized the diamond rush hour symbol on the map, to display its extension..

By the way, is the (Z) totally gone? i haven't heard that they cut it for good yet... Think positive guys! I really don't want to see any of the lines go. I mean, the (M) has been serving south Brooklyn forever, whether it went to Brighton, Bensonhurst, Borough Park. The (M) is a line that goes down in history as a supplement to the Main West End Route(s), the main Brighton train during the week in the 80s, and as the full time Sea Beach, Post9-11-01 Emergency reroutes. When the (W) first ran back on July 22, 2001, I always thought (W)eird on the West End, but after all these years, We've all been accustomed to join the new letter route into our system. Id hate to see it go now.. And the (Z)ach... How could you scrap a letter with such significance, I mean its the end of the alphabet.:cool: lol. In all seriousness, no route deserves to go.....Help us Albany!

Zachary

I agree with Zach on this. The Z is not gone YET. Let us hope the bailout plan works so that we don't have to deal with service cuts and whatnot.

i didnt know the MTA was dropping the (Z) well should be <Z> i should start a rally to restore the (D) back home to the brighton line and why did the MTA stop using the rush hour Diamond symbols example <Q>?

Ill be FIRST in line with you to restore my beloved (D) back to Brighton!:tup::tup:

I'm sad. :cry: The (Z)'s and (W)'s are going to disappear. The (M) won't go to Southern Brooklyn anymore. The (G) won't go further into Queens anymore. Even if I got a chance to speak with those administrators who are planning these changes, my voice won't make a difference. :cry:

I pray for the best though.

The (M) not serving Bensonhurst, Brooklyn anymore makes me sad.

The (G) not going to Forest Hills anymore, :mad:

The (N) not serving Lower Manhattan late at night, oh-oh

Anyways, I'll keep rooting for the (W)(Z) to stay alive and (G)(M) and (N) services not to be cut!

One hour of extra travel time per week? pfft big deal. My daily commute to work and from work is about 2 hours and 40 minutes daily. Let me call the wahmbulance for them.

wahmbulance.jpg

I thought the same thing when I read that little bit. Of course I support the Straphangers Campaign, but some of them enjoy a little too much cheese and whine in their diets...

I'm sad. :cry: The (Z)'s and (W)'s are going to disappear. The (M) won't go to Southern Brooklyn anymore. The (G) won't go further into Queens anymore. Even if I got a chance to speak with those administrators who are planning these changes, my voice won't make a difference. :cry:

I pray for the best though.

The (M) not serving Bensonhurst, Brooklyn anymore makes me sad.

The (G) not going to Forest Hills anymore, :mad:

The (N) not serving Lower Manhattan late at night, oh-oh

Anyways, I'll keep rooting for the (W)(Z) to stay alive and (G)(M) and (N) services not to be cut!

I don't want the (Z) to go go because it is mmy favorite comedy train. The stations that it skips seems so funny! But that's not the point. The point is that the (Z) is very important to a whole bunch of people. Weekday afternoons, if you ride it from Broad st to Jamaica Center, you will see the same people the whole trip. It goes from downtown Manhattan to Jamaica Queens, going between different neighborhoods along the way including Williamsburg, Bed-Stuy, Cypress Hills, and Woodhaven.

Also, keep the (W) because it is the ONLY alternative to the (N) in terms of going to Astoria. The (M) & (G) doesn't need to be cut either. SAVE THE (G), (M), (W) AND (Z)!!!!!

R.I.P (Z):1988-2009

R.I.P (W):2004-2009

R.I.P (M) via West End: A Long Time Ago-2009

But this doesn't have to be the end.

I don't want the (Z) to go go because it is mmy favorite comedy train. The stations that it skips seems so funny! But that's not the point. The point is that the (Z) is very important to a whole bunch of people. Weekday afternoons, if you ride it from Broad st to Jamaica Center, you will see the same people the whole trip. It goes from downtown Manhattan to Jamaica Queens, going between different neighborhoods along the way including Williamsburg, Bed-Stuy, Cypress Hills, and Woodhaven.

Also, keep the (W) because it is the ONLY alternative to the (N) in terms of going to Astoria. The (M) & (G) doesn't need to be cut either. SAVE THE (G), (M), (W) AND (Z)!!!!!

R.I.P (Z):1988-2009

R.I.P (W):2004-2009

R.I.P (M) via West End: A Long Time Ago-2009

But this doesn't have to be the end.

Let me help you with your dates there B):

(M) Via Brighton until 1986, then to the West End, 1986 until present.

(W) July 22, 2001 to the present day

(Z) December 1989 to today

Archived