ARC Tunnel Video

Amtrak is going to be replacing the portal bridge with 2 new spans, one low opening span to the south and one high span to the north of the current bridge. In their proposals, EIS, and whatnot they have explained that they are designing the replacement crossings there in an alignment that would be easy to connect the ARC trackage to. I say do both at the same time so when the bridges are done the whole project is done. Jan 20th can't come fast enough!!!

- A

Oh by the way, in the video you can see the doomsday/legacy 3rd rail in the north river tunnel bellmouth. This was originally how trains came through the tunnel from NJ and beyond to sunnyside yard. Very cool catch there!!

The reason i call it doomsday 3rd rail is that, if something ever happened that the catenary was offline, (MTA) or Amtrak could put dual mode or 3rd rail electric stuff through there to NJ. I am pretty sure the 3rd rail in the tunnel ends outside of it in NJ as well. I think they use it from time to time also to take p40 dual mode loco's used mainly on the empire & ethan allan service through from nj into ny.

Here's a photo i swiped off the ARC site credits to whomever shot that one (likely long dead).

NJ3rail.jpg

- A

Archived