ALP-45 Dual Power Locomotive

metsfan

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

Fascinating. It looks more like a modern power car vs a locomotive. :nec: 125 mph + 12 multilevel = HUGE WIN. Makes the geeps look like quazimodo. :eek:

Edit: Wow, i just noticed that this loco is 100% pass-thru from the cab. No more having to go outside in winter to change direction while in service. That alone is a huge deal.

- A

On another forum I belong to this PDF file was just added thought you guys might be interested in seeing it. I'll give the same warning they gave us its 7MB!

http://www.ble272.org/09-03-25%20Transprotation-Safety%20Presentation.pdf

Enjoy!

Wow, that presentation was very informative. I like how they sort of time when its going to be tested and then put into service (can't wait til 4th quarter 2011 if everything holds up for service on the M&E).

Thank for posting up that link.

They did convert one, but it was too heavy & too long. It had a pantograph up top & a diesel tank down below.

This image is of the white electric you spoke of, the diesel version had a tank.

tr_emd1976.jpg

The diesel/pantograph i'm talking about was co-co & looked like the e44

- A

That thing is a BEAST!

That thing is a BEAST!

Just a tad, however it was only like 2300 hp. :o

There are much larger locomotives than that one, and i'm not talking steam either.

16787027.jpg

There was also a design for a locomotive that burned coal to generate heat to boil water to turn a turbine and generate electricity. That was very large.

- A

i still don't understand why the Electric Horsepower is so low, theoretically, it could match the ALP-46A's 7500 hp, instead of a measly 5360hp...

I think overtime this might change but I am just as baffled as you. I think what they(NJT) want to do is see how these things work and then make some modifications.

Because you don't want a 100% new loco to be *dr evil* one million hp.

Keep in mind that the PL42AC is 4000 hp with no HEP, and is quite fast accelerating even when pulling a mlv set.

It's all in how you use that power. The GG1 is totally outclassed by most modern locos as far as HP, but the GG1 could also haul LONG trains quite fast. There's a story out there that claims no one ever used full throttle on a GG1, and they served 80-90 mph.

In any case, even if it stays 5xxx hp into production it isnt't the end of the world. Mainly because electric motors are half hp and half torque. If the torque is higher per hp, which i think it will be, then no issue. no need for a 9000 hp loco for (NJT). :cool:

- A

Archived