Second Avenue Subway

Maserati7200

Just wondering when looking at the various maps that show the SAS: why isn't there any transfer provision planned between the Wall St station at the (2), (3) lines and the Hanover Sq station? Both stations seem to be close enough to each other to provide for such a transfer.

Or perhaps even extending it one stop for a transfer at Whitehall, South Ferry, or even Bowling Green?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you have a source for that? The official map at the MTA site does not mention it.

I apologize, and you are right. I see it has changed a little. The map I saw back in '07 was from MTA. It looks as if Hanover is still a go. I would like to think they would connect it with the Wall Street Station, but it appears as if that changed as well! Pretty stupid if you ask me.....

Its lower Manhattan, it would be extremely difficult to build a subway tunnel under existing subway tunnels and buildings

It's definitely going to be difficult then, because that's exactly what they are doing!

What's what I thought as well. That would mean that there is no transfer possibility from many Brooklyn lines to the SAS. Seems like the pre-unification days all over again...:confused:

There's always the option of taking the (:P or (D) to Grand St.

What's what I thought as well. That would mean that there is no transfer possibility from many Brooklyn lines to the SAS. Seems like the pre-unification days all over again...:confused:

As of now it appears as if only Grand St. is confirmed. But keep in mind, the map shown in the above link is actually outdated. So hopefully thing change yet again!

I apologize, and you are right. I see it has changed a little. The map I saw back in '07 was from MTA. It looks as if Hanover is still a go. I would like to think they would connect it with the Wall Street Station, but it appears as if that changed as well! Pretty stupid if you ask me.....

It's definitely going to be difficult then, because that's exactly what they are doing!

They are tunneling beneath entire stations rather than using already available infrastructure. For example, the 2 Avenue and Houston Street station has a shell for a line to pass above, and Grand Street is rumored to have room for tracks behind the current walls.

They are tunneling beneath entire stations rather than using already available infrastructure. For example, the 2 Avenue and Houston Street station has a shell for a line to pass above, and Grand Street is rumored to have room for tracks behind the current walls.

A lot of what governed the design of the SAS is constructability and the disruption amount of the methods. Using the "shell" at the current 2 Av station would require the station to be shut down for construction (which would cause A LOT of ridership disruption), and would cause major disruptions for the (F) as a lot of the work would be in the station. The reason why 63/Lex won't be too much of a disturbance is because that infrastructure is already in place.

For Grand Street, the main reason why they chose not to expand the current station was because that would require underpinning (supporting) of the current structures there and private easement agreements, since the existing station borders property lines. In that area, the less disruption caused, the easier and quicker (and cheaper) construction will be. Also the current design of the station would give transferring passengers full flexibility.

Also the current design of the station would give transferring passengers full flexibility.

I kind of doubt walking down an extra set of stairs would be easier on the passengers. Someone entering the subway at 2 Avenue to board the (T) would have to descend another flight of stairs. At Grand Street, the 2 Avenue line would be under another line instead of next to it forcing passengers to use the stairs again. How is that better than a cross-platform transfer?

Again I don't even think it will even get that far, I think it will just be that (Q) to 125th (something else goes to Astoria, probably the (W)), relieve congestion on the (6), but not as much the (4)(5), and that will be all. Plans will be scraped once again as costs will be astronomical then as property values in Manhattan continue to rise.

Archived