Lionel™ M7 - Metro North Commuter Set

Set: 2 Car Non-Powered M-7 Commuter Set

Producer: Lionel

Road Name: (MTA) Metro-North Railroad

Release Date: January 2009

Almost 2 years ago, Lionel, ( which now holds the (MTA) License ) cataloged a 4 car (MTA) Metro-North Railroad set commemorating its 25th Anniversary of service. Along with the 4 car set, a 2 car add-on set was available to order as well to make a full 6 car M-7 Set.

After the November 2008 release of the 4 car set, I was a little puzzled on purchasing the set because of its looks, and detail, however, after receiving my 2 car add on in the mail the other day, Im thinking otherwise.

The 2 car M7 Metro-North Railroad set features:

-About 12 inches in length

-Manual Opening doors

-Interior lighting

-Intricate exterior car decals

-Draw-bar coupling connection; no knuckle couplers

-Light cars; They don't even turn my signal red when passing it. My signal is weight controlled via the train on track passing it.

-Not too expensive; One can find it between $67.99 and $85.99

All in all, the 4-car set would be a nice Starter set for any (MTA) enthusiast.

However, this 2 car set, for myself, I will probably put up on my shelf, with my other (MTA) rolling stock. The 4 car set is not a must for me, but I'm sure sometime in the future Ill pick it up.

Pros:

-Love the (MTA) Metro-North Railroad Decals

-Run nice & smooth

-Manual Opening doors, are much better than MTH's Subways

Con's:

-Draw-Bar Connection; Can't hook them up with anything else...

-Shrunk down to a Starter set size; Would have been better if it was at minimum another inch or 2

Some Photos:

DSCN5614.jpg

DSCN5620.jpg

DSCN5628.jpg

DSCN5632.jpg

DSCN5636.jpg

DSCN5638.jpg

Run for that Railfan Window! (<-How I despise saying those 2 words:eek:)

DSCN5639.jpg

DSCN5643.jpg

DSCN5644.jpg

DSCN5645.jpg

DSCN5646.jpg

DSCN5648.jpg

DSCN5652.jpg

Zachary

Zach:

Thanks for the evaluation. I was hoping someone would review these since I did not purchase a set. Even though I'm a Metro-North fan and commuter equipment releases are few and far between, the cars are a bit too short for my liking so I passed when I saw them. Still, they are proving to be quite popular as they appear to sell out wherever they are stocked.

Regards,

Earle

...the cars are a bit too short for my liking so I passed when I saw them.

Even though they are beautiful pieces I also think they are too short for my liking which is why I always stuck with HO scale modeling.

Nice stuff there Z! :tup:

HI Zach, I just bought my Metro-North M7 set as well. I also picked up the R27 set from Lionel, but only the 2 car set. The only thing I am not crazy about is these cars are the couplers. If I want to add them on another train, I can't, unless I changed them. I think that is how they get you into buying the complete sets. The R27 is nice, but my goodness it is very expensive!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

nice pic i really like the inner lighting that they have.

Yep! Pretty darn bright lights! Saw this at the Grand Central Transit Museum and was considering buying it! Pictures seem like that's the way to go!

• 2 months later...

Wow thats what i call a hobby <4>(S)(H)O I just bought the slant 40's from Railking not to long ago along side my other trains R62(4) R36 redbirds(6)and my Work train hey do you have any other trains???? again truly nice pics i like your station as wll:tup: (K)<R>

Thank mr. zachary yes Take the (F) to ditmas ave u CANT MISS THE STORE!!! IT HAS A HUGE SIGN THAT SAYS TRAINWORLD!!! THE BEST.

No problem..

nice pic i really like the inner lighting that they have.

Thanks!

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Yep! Pretty darn bright lights! Saw this at the Grand Central Transit Museum and was considering buying it! Pictures seem like that's the way to go!

Thanks! Yeah, they are bright.

Wow thats what i call a hobby <4>(S)(H)O I just bought the slant 40's from Railking not to long ago along side my other trains R62(4) R36 redbirds(6)and my Work train hey do you have any other trains???? again truly nice pics i like your station as wll:tup: (K)<R>

Thanks! Do I have more trains?

click here -> http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1607 :cool:

i actually saw that today and i was wondering if the doors open, now i know, lol. those are very nice pics.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Better Late than never :P

Awesome pics, Zach!

Thanks!

What does that sign in Pic 3 say ;)

"Zach's Trains are not to be touched without Zach Present! Do Not touch Zach's Trains! ZTA, Going your way ->"

Zach:

Thanks for the evaluation. I was hoping someone would review these since I did not purchase a set. Even though I'm a Metro-North fan and commuter equipment releases are few and far between, the cars are a bit too short for my liking so I passed when I saw them. Still, they are proving to be quite popular as they appear to sell out wherever they are stocked.

Regards,

Earle

No problem man. Yes, they are short, which is why I probably never got the other 4 cars yet. lol

Nice pics. Looking good.

Thanks!

Even though they are beautiful pieces I also think they are too short for my liking which is why I always stuck with HO scale modeling.

Nice stuff there Z! :tup:

Thanks H!

HI Zach, I just bought my Metro-North M7 set as well. I also picked up the R27 set from Lionel, but only the 2 car set. The only thing I am not crazy about is these cars are the couplers. If I want to add them on another train, I can't, unless I changed them. I think that is how they get you into buying the complete sets. The R27 is nice, but my goodness it is very expensive!

R27 is definitely really expensive... Im not a fan of the couplers on these M-7s either...

Hey Zach, what website or local store do you get your train sets?

Trainworld.com

• 6 months later...
Set: 2 Car Non-Powered M-7 Commuter Set

Producer: Lionel

Road Name: (MTA) Metro-North Railroad

Release Date: January 2009

Almost 2 years ago, Lionel, ( which now holds the (MTA) License ) cataloged a 4 car (MTA) Metro-North Railroad set commemorating its 25th Anniversary of service. Along with the 4 car set, a 2 car add-on set was available to order as well to make a full 6 car M-7 Set.

After the November 2008 release of the 4 car set, I was a little puzzled on purchasing the set because of its looks, and detail, however, after receiving my 2 car add on in the mail the other day, Im thinking otherwise.

The 2 car M7 Metro-North Railroad set features:

-About 12 inches in length

-Manual Opening doors

-Interior lighting

-Intricate exterior car decals

-Draw-bar coupling connection; no knuckle couplers

-Light cars; They don't even turn my signal red when passing it. My signal is weight controlled via the train on track passing it.

-Not too expensive; One can find it between $67.99 and $85.99

All in all, the 4-car set would be a nice Starter set for any (MTA) enthusiast.

However, this 2 car set, for myself, I will probably put up on my shelf, with my other (MTA) rolling stock. The 4 car set is not a must for me, but I'm sure sometime in the future Ill pick it up.

Pros:

-Love the (MTA) Metro-North Railroad Decals

-Run nice & smooth

-Manual Opening doors, are much better than MTH's Subways

Con's:

-Draw-Bar Connection; Can't hook them up with anything else...

-Shrunk down to a Starter set size; Would have been better if it was at minimum another inch or 2

Some Photos:

DSCN5614.jpg

DSCN5620.jpg

DSCN5628.jpg

DSCN5632.jpg

DSCN5636.jpg

DSCN5638.jpg

Run for that Railfan Window! (<-How I despise saying those 2 words:eek:)

DSCN5639.jpg

DSCN5643.jpg

DSCN5644.jpg

DSCN5645.jpg

DSCN5646.jpg

DSCN5648.jpg

DSCN5652.jpg

Zachary

I have em to, for me there are more Cons than Pros, its cool to see the (MTA) Symbols on the trains and the opening and closing doors:)... But they are to light, short and the couplers suck!!!! they are not even couplers they are like rods with holes.. Overall MTH would have done a WAY better job making the M7s... it might have gone for around $500-$600 for a 4 car set IF it was made by MTH..but it would have been worth it!! you get what you pay for ... for me Lionel is just a name....

Archived