Crosstown Via Canal St?

Tbirdbassist

so felllas with all the rhetoric aside... can we get a straight answer on where the pictures are from please? Lets bring out the point im am very curious to know where that it. It reminds me of the original BMT 59th St. station. Its in a basement in Bloomingdales and one can see that the line was supposed to ramp up the 59th street bridge to queens. i hope to put those pics up soon...

There is a page on that on Joe Brennan's site of Abandoned Stations.

Canal St. was a canal near Collect Pond, which was from Broadway & Canal St. to City Hall. Collect Pond and the canal was filled in because of diseases.

Canal St. was to drain the contaminated water out:

"Canal Street takes its name from an actual canal that was dug in the early 1800s to drain the contaminated and disease-ridden Collect Pond into the Hudson River. The pond was filled in 1811, and Canal Street was completed in 1820 following the angled path the canal had. The elimination of Collect Pond actually made the surrounding land even marshier, as the area had many natural springs that now had nowhere to drain. The historic townhouses and newer tenements that had been built along Canal Street quickly fell into disrepair, and the eastern stretch of Canal Street came within the ambit of the notorious Five Points slum as property values and living conditions plummeted."

Canal St. was a canal near Collect Pond, which was from Broadway & Canal St. to City Hall. Collect Pond and the canal was filled in because of diseases.

Canal St. was to drain the contaminated water out:

"Canal Street takes its name from an actual canal that was dug in the early 1800s to drain the contaminated and disease-ridden Collect Pond into the Hudson River. The pond was filled in 1811, and Canal Street was completed in 1820 following the angled path the canal had. The elimination of Collect Pond actually made the surrounding land even marshier, as the area had many natural springs that now had nowhere to drain. The historic townhouses and newer tenements that had been built along Canal Street quickly fell into disrepair, and the eastern stretch of Canal Street came within the ambit of the notorious Five Points slum as property values and living conditions plummeted."

Wow, the Skid Row of Manhattan.

An alternative way for people in upper Tribeca/lower west village to travel to Brooklyn Heights?

My guess is that the line wasn't just going to end on the west side, it would either head north or south, more likely north. Perhaps via the WSH or Hudson St then the WSH.

A WSH subway would be nice now and in the future since the areas beyond 9th avenue are flourishing again. Old factories warehouses being turned into apartments and office buildings. However I dont know how hard/safe it would be to build a subway under the westside highway below the 14th st area.

If my architecture school memory serves me right a lot of the lower west side is landfill and not rock. I dunno if that would work for a subway tunnel.

Or they could be cool and take it out of the ground and run it up the center of the WSH. That would be a site to see!

An alternative way for people in upper Tribeca/lower west village to travel to Brooklyn Heights?

My guess is that the line wasn't just going to end on the west side, it would either head north or south, more likely north. Perhaps via the WSH or Hudson St then the WSH.

A WSH subway would be nice now and in the future since the areas beyond 9th avenue are flourishing again. Old factories warehouses being turned into apartments and office buildings. However I dont know how hard/safe it would be to build a subway under the westside highway below the 14th st area.

If my architecture school memory serves me right a lot of the lower west side is landfill and not rock. I dunno if that would work for a subway tunnel.

Or they could be cool and take it out of the ground and run it up the center of the WSH. That would be a site to see!

I doubt it would run under the West Side Highway. My guess was, it would probably turn under Hudson Street or even earlier before that and head uptown. If it turned under Hudson Street, it would continue as an Eighth Avenue Subway. This crosstown line was a Triborough system line, which was before the original IND. The Triborough fell out of action, some plans were adopted by the IRT and some adopted by the BMT.

Didn't know this was before planned before IND's plans. In that case Hudson St-to-8th Ave or West Broadway-to-5th Ave would make sense.

However if it were to be used today (highly unlikely since it would be a grade crossing at Canal St) I vote for West side Highway Elevated. It would utilize the same construction methods as the Air Train that runs along the Van Wyck - Thick center Pillar which supports two tracks. Traffic wouldn't be disrupted much and it, theoretically, could be built rather quickly.

Didn't know this was before planned before IND's plans. In that case Hudson St-to-8th Ave or West Broadway-to-5th Ave would make sense.

However if it were to be used today (highly unlikely since it would be a grade crossing at Canal St) I vote for West side Highway Elevated. It would utilize the same construction methods as the Air Train that runs along the Van Wyck - Thick center Pillar which supports two tracks. Traffic wouldn't be disrupted much and it, theoretically, could be built rather quickly.

Since it was part of the Triborough-BRT plans, it preceded both the Turner Plan and the IND plan.

Archived