Caution IRS E-mail scam...

error46146

I received an e-mail from supposedly the IRS telling me to fill out an attached Stimulus Payment Form. Here is the contents of the e-mail:

After the last annual calculations of your fiscal activity we have determined that

you are eligible to receive a Stimulus Payment.

Please submit the Stimulus Payment Online Form in order to process it.

A Stimulus Payment can be delayed for a variety of reasons.

For example submitting invalid records or applying after the deadline.

To submit your Stimulus Payment form, please download the document attached to your email.

Note: If filing or preparation fees were deducted from your 2007 Refund or you

received a refund anticipation loan, you will be receiving a check instead of a

direct deposit.

Regards,

Internal Revenue Service

Now im not stupid first of all the IRS does not know my email address, and second of all the IRS is definitely not going to send me confidential tax stuff like this via regular unencrypted email, 3rd of all the To field says " To:

undisclosed-recipients", and i have gotten scam emails before like this with the To field saying the exact same thing so obviously this is a big nasty SCAM trying to steal my SSN and such.

So just to give you guys a heads up always think before you act when you see stuff on the computer like this...

So, what do you think about this?

I think they would use correct grammar as well.

"A Stimulus Payment can be delayed for a variety of reasons.

For example submitting invalid records or applying after the deadline."

First of all, that only needs to be one sentence. Second, "e.g." would be used instead of "for example."

Poor grammar and/or spelling is a dead giveaway of scams.

Well that's one less scam avoided. Best thing to do is see if you can get the full headers and report it to the authorities.

This spamming non-sense is unbelieveable these days. Those little pricks even get people's cell phone numbers one way or another, and play those fake telemarketer recordings. Thank God for the Do Not Call Registry though. :P

Archived