Recovery of US Airways Airbus A320 (Flight 1549)

Pablo M 201

Ok, so I spent my saturday sitting out on the piers by Exchange Place in Jersey City to see the US Airways Airbus A320 from Flight 1549 from LaGuardia to Charlotte be pulled out the Hudson River. I was there from like what, 10 AM or so, expecting the plane to be pulled out shortly. Then it got to Noon and was told some interesting info which was they found the engine that fell off on river bed in the vicinity of the Lincoln Tunnel, and that they wasn't going to pull out the plane til 2 PM. So I hoped on HBLR and went to Newport real quick to get some hot chocolate and some snacks and went back. From there on til sunset, me and a few others just stood around, tried to stay warm waiting and waiting, and ditched around 5 PM when it got too dark for a shot. I was disappointed they pulled it out overnight, but was glad to see it was still around after they pulled it out and I was able to get a shot of it this morning. Without further ado....

Enjoy!

This was taken on Friday in Battery Park City.

p10404051nb4.jpg

Now to saturday.

This was the crane to be used arriving.

p10404111db1.jpg

The crane settling in.

p10404151iz7.jpg

Look closely in the water just right of the crane.

p10404221lg7.jpg

This is a few hours later, just waiting.

p10404441oa3.jpg

This was the scene around 3PM or so.

p10404541cx1.jpg

And this was the scene last I left it.

p10404711xv9.jpg

Now to this morning, basically the plane on display.

p10404751mt0.jpg

Hope you enjoyed, comments are always welcomed!

Wow, that is amazing how much of that airframe is not damaged. I would not be surprised to see that aircraft flying in a year or so. Excellent work by the flight crew to "crash" that aircraft as smooth as possible on the water. Great photos by the way.
Thanks! I was amazed how well intact the plane was too. That pilot had serious skills man, 6 years experience in the Air Force do good!

Good stuff!
Thanks!

Nice catch!
Thanks!

Great pics and good to see the plane lift up to prevent it from getting hypothermia, :)!
Ha, Thanks!

Very nice pics! :cool:
Thanks!

Excellent pics, Pablo!
Thanks MTR!

Excellent Shots Man! Look at the Ice on water in that last shot!
Thanks Z! You should see the icebergs on the NJ side.

Excellent coverage!
Thanks Curt!

Archived