Anyone know what its called?

Dave160

Does anyone know what those express tracks between 4th avenue and Smith 9th street on the (F) lead to? There usually closed off and plants are growing over them. They lead from above ground to underground between Smith 9th and 4th Ave. I heard its a track that leads directly to old Bergen Street for express service back in the day. Does the tunnel have a name?

What part of nyc is this, not really 100% familiar with stuff outside manhattan.

I can look into what it was used for if i know where it is.

Looks like its a lay up track along side an interlocking.

- A

It's probably an express section along the Crosstown/Culver line for the (F). Yep plants are growing on them. Trains on those tracks would skip Bergen Street, Carroll Street, Smith Street and 4th Avenue. Bergen Street express tracks are at the lower level.

Does anyone know what those express tracks between 4th avenue and Smith 9th street on the (F) lead to? There usually closed off and plants are growing over them. They lead from above ground to underground between Smith 9th and 4th Ave. I heard its a track that leads directly to old Bergen Street for express service back in the day. Does the tunnel have a name?

These tracks begin at a junction south of Jay Street as the lower level tracks. They pass through lower level Bergen then rise after Carroll to the level of the locals. They continue on the centre, passing through Smith and 4th Avenue. They continue to 7th Avenue where it was supposed to be an express station. There, the locals would go on a path in the shape of an "L" while, these tracks would bypass this by forming a diagonal. Both pairs meet at Church Avenue. The expresses could continue into a lower level lay up space or could go through the portal with the locals.

They form the basis of the express track down the Culver El.

For a time, there was express F service to Church Ave. This was before it made a connectino to the Culver El.

Church avenue wasn't meant to be a terminal for very long as I believe part of the IND 2nd system plan was to extend south down Fort Hamilton Parkway, but don't quote me on that. I do remember reading something was supposed to run on Fort Hamitlon Pkwy. I can't find where I read that now...

For a time, there was express F service to Church Ave. This was before it made a connectino to the Culver El.

Church avenue wasn't meant to be a terminal for very long as I believe part of the IND 2nd system plan was to extend south down Fort Hamilton Parkway, but don't quote me on that. I do remember reading something was supposed to run on Fort Hamitlon Pkwy, either that or Kings Highway. I can't find where I read that now... :/

Express F lasted around the 70s before it was cut.

Yes, there was a line planned under Fort Hamilton Pkwy, this is depicted on a map at JoeKorner's site.

I knew I wasn't buggin out, thanks for reminding me. :P

I also edited my above post a bit.

The tracks are currently used to relay G trains after Smith-9th St, and rare reroutes (usually only on rush hour Coney Island bound trains) where the F will run express to Church (doesn't stop at Bergen St lower level), but apparently Bergen St will be rehabilitated in the near future and regular express service will resume. G trains will be local to Church and then maybe to Kings Highway. Given relay interruption.

I knew I wasn't buggin out, thanks for reminding me. :P

I also edited my above post a bit.

The tracks are currently used to relay G trains after Smith-9th St, and rare reroutes (usually only on rush hour Coney Island bound trains) where the F will run express to Church (doesn't stop at Bergen St lower level), but apparently Bergen St will be rehabilitated in the near future and regular express service will resume. G trains will be local to Church and then maybe to Kings Highway. Given relay interruption.

They have to fix Bergen Street, it was destroyed by a fire.

Thanks guys for the info.

Yea, old Bergen Street was destroyed by a signal fire in the mid-late 70's. It;d be nice to see it open in the near future.

Btw, does the tunnel have a name? And are there any pics of the tunnel lying around anywhere?

Thanks

Thanks guys for the info.

Yea, old Bergen Street was destroyed by a signal fire in the mid-late 70's. It;d be nice to see it open in the near future.

Btw, does the tunnel have a name? And are there any pics of the tunnel lying around anywhere?

Thanks

It's just IND Culver.

The tunnel is under Smith Street, but nobody refers to it as the Smith Street Tunnel.

I thought the rebuild of the upper level damages the LL platform. Also the section from Jay to 4th Ave after the (F) goes to the upper level has been red flagged. I know at the Carroll Street portal, there are tie bumpers and red banks. Then north of 4th Ave the express tracks are red flagged too, they only use the prtion from 4th Ave to Church Ave unless it is a GO.

That is a lay-up track, it is not blocked off by red flags and trips. I have heard but can't conferm that it is out of service because it has not been used in many years or mantained. If you look out the window between 4th Ave adn Smith-9th there is the top of a stair case in the middel, that goes down to behind the bumper of the lay-up track.

gentlemen there is still the matter of the 5th or middle track between 4th ave and smith-9th sts which is still not answered... I still can't wait for the (F) express to begin anew!

It is used for lay-ups and especially used now for terminating the G service there. I'm not sure if it would be ripped out during the rehab they are planning, but who knows?

Yeah I hope the F express is realised, however, chances are slim now, as we are still threatened by fare hikes and service cuts.

Archived