Progress on 7 Line Extension

MTR Admiralty

Well apparently they are building tracks all the way to about 23rd and 11th for storage. So there is a chance that it would be extended down further sometime in the future.

I wish it was planned and budgeted to make a station at 23rd and 11th. Sure is a long walk to Chelsea Piers from 23rd/8th.

Actually, I'm not going to criticise you for anything. Although it is financially infeasible in the current state of affairs, studies have shown that it IS recommended to have a line connecting the Hudson Yards development and the West Side of Lower Manhattan. The study that I referred to, wanted a light rail line running down the median of the West Side Highway (if I interpreted correctly).

Someone had a plan to elevate the (7) and run it along the old High Line. Although it's physically impossible now that they're converting the High Line into a park, what do you think of this idea?

While you aren't talking to me, I'll chime in...

It would have been a nice idea if the Highline were still up for grabs. However the Highline ends at/starts at Gansvoort (spl?) and I think the far west side of Manhattan down to Battery Park City could use subway service. It would be more of a benefit to people than a necessity. Probably why we haven't heard of any major plans for a line on the far west side. It's only began to be more developed beyond industrial use 30 years ago if my history serves me right.

I had a plan that had a new line via a new river tunnel coming from Queens (running over the current 7 line El, there's a thread around with drawings I did from the Queens side) and running across 50th st all the way to the WSH and running down the center on an El structure similar to the AirTrain (but built to take heavy rail) and run down to WFC. There would be a track connection made to the (1) for car moves.

However elevating the 7 down the WSH would be cool but not sure how easy it would be physically. Hell, I'm not sure how it would work underground. Isn't a lot of the west side is landfill?

While you aren't talking to me, I'll chime in...

It would have been a nice idea if the Highline were still up for grabs. However the Highline ends at/starts at Gansvoort (spl?) and I think the far west side of Manhattan down to Battery Park City could use subway service. It would be more of a benefit to people than a necessity. Probably why we haven't heard of any major plans for a line on the far west side. It's only began to be more developed beyond industrial use 30 years ago if my history serves me right.

I had a plan that had a new line via a new river tunnel coming from Queens (running over the current 7 line El, there's a thread around with drawings I did from the Queens side) and running across 50th st all the way to the WSH and running down the center on an El structure similar to the AirTrain (but built to take heavy rail) and run down to WFC. There would be a track connection made to the (1) for car moves.

However elevating the 7 down the WSH would be cool but not sure how easy it would be physically. Hell, I'm not sure how it would work underground. Isn't a lot of the west side is landfill?

True, the High Line park is going to open soon. I believe, June.

Now, I agree with you on the West Side Highway thing. The water table will not be suitable for subway construction. Well, a subway is possible there, but it will not be cost effective, as it will be extremely difficult in terms of the engineering required. Perhaps, a concrete structure down the median should be dedicated to this service that you are proposing. Access to the stations would be provided by pedestrian bridges spanning the highway. It acts as a bridge for ordinary pedestrians trying to cross.

I'm not quite certain about a track connection to the 1, you will have to submerge the structure at a certain point for that to happen. But it will be cool.

A concrete viaduct similar to the AirTrain scheme is actually not that cheap itself, but it would be much more efficient that digging underground or putting it on an embankment, à la Dan Ryan in Chicago.

Archived