Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
mark1447

Limits and restrictions in stations?

Is there any restrictions or limits on staying on the same subway station, for example if you are at the West end line on the 9th ave station, you will notice north of the station there is a stairwell to the 36th street yd. Is it illegal to stand behind it for taking shots or waiting for the train?

About 2 weeks[First week of Jan 2009] ago it was PM rush hr, and i over slept on the (D) seeing i was heading to atlantic for (5) dyre. And i winded up at 9th ave.

Seeing that the R160 (M) run during this time, i stud behind the northern part of the station where the stairwell is at. ANd was taking shots of night.. A cop comes behind me, and sounds like he had a gun and a of course flash light..

Then he startled me and says:

WHAT WERE YOU DOING IN THE TRACKS?!

I said: what? I wasnt in the tracks [Which I wasnt im Not stupid]

he says: how should i know if you were there or not?

i say: well i wasnt!

I had my cam in my pocket, and i was holding it..

he says: DROP IT!

He thought it was a gun

he tells me: get over here now! sit down on the stairwell

there was a few passengers. I was nervous tho, cuz he was a rude a$$ cop..

He says: why are you taking shots for?!

I said: Becuz its allowed and I have the rules to show you.

He says- let me see the cam.

I took it out and showed him the transit shots.. And i did told him i will be with the (MTA) as C/R in the future.. I showed him my State ID for security..

I said: Do you wanna see the rules of conduct

which i showed him the page. But with his ugly looks he denied:

He says: nah i dont wanna see. You one of those transit BUFFs eh?

I said: Yes....

He leaves and says: Your good to go, but you better not be doing stuff like the other transit buffs!

I said what stuff?

he says: you know what i mean

finally he leaves and im ok, nothing bad at all.

I would have gotten the badge ID but i said to my self: Keep it kool, dont cause a problem..

I called backline just to help cool myself and stress a bit, which he did..

Sometimes most t/a workers and nypd can be an a** which i cant stand.

My question was tho, is there any limits to being on a stations? Its like also once i was at 125th street (1) station and an undercover cop asked me if im ever getting on the train..., which i did for the next SF (1) So now im confused a bit...

BTW a similar incident occured on saturday, but went very well at the (7) Main street, which the T/A worker was much friendlier, read here:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7580

Why do you always mention how you applied to be a C/R? Just because you applied doesn't change things. You aren't part of the MTA. If the stairwell was off public limits, then you shouldn't have been there. While photography is fine in the system, there are security sensitive areas and if they see someone they will question them. Don't take it personal.

Why do you always mention how you applied to be a C/R? Just because you applied doesn't change things. You aren't part of the MTA. If the stairwell was off public limits, then you shouldn't have been there. While photography is fine in the system, there are security sensitive areas and if they see someone they will question them. Don't take it personal.

doesnt conclude anything. I tell them so they wouldnt think im an anybody

anyways changing the subject on that

How should I know if its off public, i wasnt even on the stair well, i was behind getting a nice view for shots. Plus when ever i pass there the doors of the train opens there. Mainly the (D)

While you know you weren't doing anything wrong how would the cop know? All he sees is someone at night standing to a stairwell that leads to the train yards taking pictures at night. I don't think the cop is going to think OH, MUST BE TOURIST. I'LL LEAVE HIM BE. Got to put yourself in the cop's shoes. What would YOU think if you were a cop and saw someone doing the same thing?

While you know you weren't doing anything wrong how would the cop know? All he sees is someone at night standing to a stairwell that leads to the train yards taking pictures at night. I don't think the cop is going to think OH, MUST BE TOURIST. I'LL LEAVE HIM BE. Got to put yourself in the cop's shoes. What would YOU think if you were a cop and saw someone doing the same thing?

I just TOLD u i wasnt standing on the stairwell, i was behind it dude. I know its restricted of course. The (MTA) Should add a gate with a sign telling people its for authorized personnel..

Also my question isnt about being on a stairwell. Im trying to get an ans on whether there are limits in time of being on the same subway station..

Hearing these stories about transit fans harassed by police officers, :mad: I'm sorry that this is happening to you. I know how that feels, it's not a good thing. I was once taking photographs in the subway, and taken by police. I did manage to talk my way out of being arrested, and it did take a lot of convincing.

Back to the topic: Who in the world does he have the right to think that way, I think that he's taking his suspicions way too far, and I can't stress how dumb law enforcement can be at times. I'm not saying that police and MTA workers are bad, I like the police, I just don't like how some officers can take things too seriously.

Anyways I hope this experience doesn't happen to you. I wish you all the best.

There are no limits, but if you let a few trains go by and an employee or cop sees you doing this they will likely question you...it's nothing personal, it's just that they are told to look for something "suspicious" or just anything that they can't explain. Someone letting several trains go by they consider suspicious because it's "why do they want to stay here?" and if they see you taking pics it's "well why didn't you take your pic and then get on the first train?". That's just the way it is, if you were them you'd probably act the same way.

They may seem like they're being "mean" but they have to be authoritative about it otherwise people will just walk all over them. Asking people things super polite and starting off with "I don't mean to bother you but..." will not earn you the respect of the public. That's just the way the officers have to talk to do their jobs right. The fact he let you go and backed off means he knows the rule, but he still has to investigate no matter what.

Also I wouldn't keep mentioning about wanting to be a C/R...there's no way to prove it, you haven't been hired yet, and if you get stopped by a TA employee who turns out to be, say, a TSS, it might come back to haunt you once you start working if you get identified as a buff...some people that work down there don't like the buffs one bit. A lot are buffs themselves but they don't like the "over the top" buffs - not saying you are one I'm just saying that they don't know you so they might assume the worst, right or wrong, so why put yourself in that situation?

There are no limits, but if you let a few trains go by and an employee or cop sees you doing this they will likely question you...it's nothing personal, it's just that they are told to look for something "suspicious" or just anything that they can't explain. Someone letting several trains go by they consider suspicious because it's "why do they want to stay here?" and if they see you taking pics it's "well why didn't you take your pic and then get on the first train?". That's just the way it is, if you were them you'd probably act the same way.

They may seem like they're being "mean" but they have to be authoritative about it otherwise people will just walk all over them. Asking people things super polite and starting off with "I don't mean to bother you but..." will not earn you the respect of the public. That's just the way the officers have to talk to do their jobs right. The fact he let you go and backed off means he knows the rule, but he still has to investigate no matter what.

Also I wouldn't keep mentioning about wanting to be a C/R...there's no way to prove it, you haven't been hired yet, and if you get stopped by a TA employee who turns out to be, say, a TSS, it might come back to haunt you once you start working if you get identified as a buff...some people that work down there don't like the buffs one bit. A lot are buffs themselves but they don't like the "over the top" buffs - not saying you are one I'm just saying that they don't know you so they might assume the worst, right or wrong, so why put yourself in that situation?

hmm well i guess u right. Although most of the time i wouldn't indenify myself

why dont they like the buffs who? And wats TSS.

Thanks for clearing me here in a more respectful way =)

TSS = Train Service Supervisor.

I'd imagine those that don't like the buffs it's because every time they hear about buffs it's stealing rollsigns, moving trains, trying to get access to restricted areas. when buffs follow the rules it doesn't get mentioned...just the way things are...just like no one heard about good muslims in the US after 9/11, just bad ones, so lots of good muslims got a hard time just because...just the way it is sometimes

Edited by SubwayGuy

I'd imagine those that don't like the buffs it's because every time they hear about buffs it's stealing rollsigns, moving trains, trying to get access to restricted areas. when buffs follow the rules it doesn't get mentioned...just the way things are...just like no one heard about good muslims in the US after 9/11, just bad ones, so lots of good muslims got a hard time just because...just the way it is sometimes

so people like us airnt transit buffs?

Cuz I said I was, when he asked me =\, even tho i dont go to restricted zones at ALL, nor violate the rules. Except moving between cars like millions does lol

so people like us airnt transit buffs?

Cuz I said I was, when he asked me =\, even tho i dont go to restricted zones at ALL, nor violate the rules. Except moving between cars like millions does lol

yes everyone here is a "buff" the thing is when you and i say buff, we mean someone who's interested in trains. but sometimes when they hear the word buff they mean someone who is overly obsessed with it sometimes to the point of doing illegal things in the system.

it's like how younger people today will hear the word "homie" and think not much of it but if you say that to an old white lady in a nice apartment who grew up in a rich suburb, she might get scared.

just differences in how people see things, thats all...