Reading & video games are both advantageous to a child learning experience.

Coolbreezing

Children are stimulated to play video games mainly because of the rewards they received for every task achieved through playing the game. As described by some, it is the desire to see what happens next in the preceding stage that gives the kick that makes the child want to play the game. Although some games promote aggression and violent responses to conflict, not all games simulate those types of behaviors. SimCity promote knowledge that can be useful to a child as he grows up to understand the world he or she lives in. Reading on the other hand, is a mind exercising function. Most children do not develop a kick for reading until they are a little older. I must also add that parents can help the child develop this function by playing an active role by participating in the reading exercise. However, the reward obtain from reading books are far less acknowledged from a child perspective than an adult. The advantages that a child gets from reading books are directly related to future benefits that are available in today society. The information obtained from reading good books are important to a child education long – term career benefits and future goals.

READ MORE

http://hubpages.com/hub/Reading--video-games-are-both-advantageous-to-a-child-learning-experience

"Although some games promote aggression and violent responses to conflict, not all games simulate those types of behaviors."
That's BS. Violent video games don't create or promote aggression or violent responses to conflict. I've been playing "violent" video games and video games in general since I was in Middle School/Junior High School. Kids that "turn" violent because of "video games' already have that problem with them. They could "turn" easily with any media such as movies, music, tv shows and video games. Video games parent any different than any other media and needs to stop being a scape goat by the media.

Archived