Staten Island local bus service stinks!

R32 Anthony

As a Staten Islander, local buses are the worst in the city. In 1987, the (NYCT) renumbered all the bus lines. Since they did this, they created new lines with new schedules. During the weekdays, most service has a 15 minute headway. During the evenings and weekends, most of the service is a half hour headway. During late night hours, it is an hour wait. Imagine if a bus breaks down (especially in bad whether!) Many of the buses are broken and passengers have to call their stops because the bells do not work. Buses are always crowded and half of the teenagers give phony stories that "they forgot their metrocard." Not to mention cranky riders and people using their cellphones and talking loud or not talking English. In many areas on Staten Island, there are no bus service. There is no Amboy Rd service between Annadale Road to Guyon Avenue, no Arden Avenue service south of Woodrow (not to mention the s56 is every half hour on the weekdays only) and no Huguenot Avenue service at all.

The S55, S56 and S66 are weekday routes only and on the S55/S56 the headway is a half hour. The s54 has a headway of 30 minutes at all times. The (MTA) wants to make cuts on the S54, S57, S60 and S76. We need all the routes possible on Staten Island. The s67 and the S93 only have a few buses during the day. I am talking about 10! That's it! The S52 has an hour headway on Sunday evenings.

The (MTA) really needs to add more buses and create more bus lines on Staten Island. I would love to see service to New Jersey to Woodbridge or Newark Airport! In all, Staten Island was always known as "the forgotten borough." The (MTA) sure likes that slogan. They figure Staten Islanders are wealthy and have cars, so they don't need bus service. Let me tell you, that is not the case at all. Many Staten Islanders are elderly or disabled and many do not drive. That's the reality of it all.

As a Staten Islander, local buses are the worst in the city. In 1987, the (NYCT) renumbered all the bus lines. Since they did this, they created new lines with new schedules. During the weekdays, most service has a 15 minute headway. During the evenings and weekends, most of the service is a half hour headway. During late night hours, it is an hour wait. Imagine if a bus breaks down (especially in bad whether!) Many of the buses are broken and passengers have to call their stops because the bells do not work. Buses are always crowded and half of the teenagers give phony stories that "they forgot their metrocard." Not to mention cranky riders and people using their cellphones and talking loud or not talking English. In many areas on Staten Island, there are no bus service. There is no Amboy Rd service between Annadale Road to Guyon Avenue, no Arden Avenue service south of Woodrow (not to mention the s56 is every half hour on the weekdays only) and no Huguenot Avenue service at all.

The S55, S56 and S66 are weekday routes only and on the S55/S56 the headway is a half hour. The s54 has a headway of 30 minutes at all times. The (MTA) wants to make cuts on the S54, S57, S60 and S76. We need all the routes possible on Staten Island. The s67 and the S93 only have a few buses during the day. I am talking about 10! That's it! The S52 has an hour headway on Sunday evenings.

The (MTA) really needs to add more buses and create more bus lines on Staten Island. I would love to see service to New Jersey to Woodbridge or Newark Airport! In all, Staten Island was always known as "the forgotten borough." The (MTA) sure likes that slogan. They figure Staten Islanders are wealthy and have cars, so they don't need bus service. Let me tell you, that is not the case at all. Many Staten Islanders are elderly or disabled and many do not drive. That's the reality of it all.

I am busy now as I am about to go to night school(Pace Univ grad school)in few nminutes so i comment about this more on the weekends.

First two ideas i had in my mind is the following: a)Make the S79 an overnight(24/7)line creating 1-hour headways between SI Mall and Bay Ridge. Richmond Ave at least between the SI mall and Hylan should have all night service. Years ago the S59(the former S104)used to run all night.

Plus 30 minute headway bus service along the verrzano coordior between Hylan/Clove & Bay Ridge and along Hylan Blvd also.

b)Create a new 7-day a week Bus route between Elignvtville Transit Center and Elizabeth, NJ/newark airport with hourly service.

More to come.

I know how you feel.

When I went to Alice Austen House Museum at end of Bay St I think, S51 Weekend schedule was every 60 minutes.

And so was S53.

well then in my opioion they should start a private bus lines like they used to have in queens, bronx and brooklyn before the mta took them over they had green lines newyork bus serivice and a few others i would call it a few names eather staten island bus service, richmond county surface transit , richmond county bus service. have some bus lines and charge the same price 2 bucks as it is. but hey they are building the 3rd bus depot by the target across the street from the senior citzens houses. the 4th 1 on south ave were the old chocolate factory used 2 be trying 2 fix up the building

I live on Staten Island too. The bus service isn't that bad and besides, none of the routes are facing elimination (not including weekend service) however, the (MTA) does need to increase service. I wouls say make the S79 run between the Eltingville Transit Center and Bay Ridge during late nights because the SI Mall is closed after 11PM. I would also say to increase the S93 service to every 12 minutes.

IMO, Staten Island doesn't need anymore routes. They are fine the way they are now.

On busier lines like the S48(Forest Ave)S61/62(Victory Blvd) and S78 (Hylan)could also have 'short trips' added on Weekday Midday period and all day Saturday. For example the S48 running between Forest/Victory and Richmond Ave.

The Eligntville terminal for the S79 overnights is not a bad idea. And the S79 headways only runs every 30 minutes on weekends after i believe after 9pm Saturdays and 6pm Sundays.

Buses need to operate the full route. It is been said to terminate the s79 at night when the Mall is close. How about the people who live by the mall? They need to get home too. When the mall is closed, the S44, S59, and the S79 should run straight on Richmond Avenue like the R4 did back in the early 1970's.

I think more buses should be added. Have you waited for a bus in 15 degree weather? A 15 minute wait feels like a half hour! They need more buses on the South Shore and going to New Jersey. They should bring back a bus from Staten Island to downtown Brooklyn. The old x8. I would love to see a bus on Arden Ave, Huguenot Avenue and other South Shore areas. I am tired of walking from SE Annadale to Richmond Avenue in order to ride a bus.

You have to realize that not a lot of people take the bus in the south shore. Adding more service will only result in lots of empty buses. the 15-minute headways are not that bad. The buses are not overcrowded.

Buses need to operate the full route. It is been said to terminate the s79 at night when the Mall is close. How about the people who live by the mall? They need to get home too. When the mall is closed, the S44, S59, and the S79 should run straight on Richmond Avenue like the R4 did back in the early 1970's.

I think more buses should be added. Have you waited for a bus in 15 degree weather? A 15 minute wait feels like a half hour! They need more buses on the South Shore and going to New Jersey. They should bring back a bus from Staten Island to downtown Brooklyn. The old x8. I would love to see a bus on Arden Ave, Huguenot Avenue and other South Shore areas. I am tired of walking from SE Annadale to Richmond Avenue in order to ride a bus.

While i agree SI should get more bus service, not every line needs an increase. For example, on issue of all night Richmond Ave i agree 100% it should have been added years ago and the S59 should have never lost all night service during last budget crisis in early 1990's. However IMO you dont need three 'all night aka 24/7' along the Richmond Ave coordior. Just run the S79 for service between Yukon Ave depot and Hylan (going to/from Brooklyn)and the S59 for service between Hylan and Forest Ave going towards Pt. Richmond at 1-hour headways.

I also agree with you, Anothny that a peak-direction express bus (aka rush hour bus)should run between Downtown Brooklyn and IMO ideally either the South Shore area or 'Mid-Island' area like Elingtville. I dont think a Downtown Brooklyn-SI express bus needs to run from North Shore since the S93 is a quick bus and you can transfer to this 'new expres route' before the bridge or the "R" train in Bay Ridge.

Regarding South Shore SI bus service only modest increases is needed. Remember most of the residents in that area have cars and you dont want a waste of precious monies like in Northeast Queens has with the Q76 and Q79 that other than school hours are mostly empty.

Just my takes.

They also need to make the S89 run like a regular route instead of just rush hours only.

Agreed. I can understand for the first 6 months making the S89 a rush hour only line. Ridership is growing so it should be expanded to all day weekdays and Saturdays right now. On Saturdays run it every 30 minutes most of day and every hour from 8pm-last bus around 11pm.

If the expanded service works then make it a full time 7-day route.

Agreed. I can understand for the first 6 months making the S89 a rush hour only line. Ridership is growing so it should be expanded to all day weekdays and Saturdays right now. On Saturdays run it every 30 minutes most of day and every hour from 8pm-last bus around 11pm.

If the expanded service works then make it a full time 7-day route.

I agree also.

S89 LTD was only rush hour weekday LTD service in Staten Island.

I agree S89 bus should run daily basis with connecting HBLR and NJT Buses in Bayonne.

Archived