The V Train

Bracamonte

I want to know how you feel about the (V) train since its debut in 2001. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the (V)? I've been hearing people complaining about the (V).

advantages:

1. Queens Boulevard local customers now have a direct access to 6th Avenue and 53rd street

2. more trains through the 53rd and 63rd Street Tunnels.

disadvantages:

1. the (E) becomes the only express train to 53rd Street.

2. (G) riders lose access to Queens Boulevard.

3. does not run on nights or weekends, meaning the (E) is the only train on the 53rd Street line during that time.

there might be more

What complaints have you heard?

I believe the V line was started because the 63rd st connection finally opened and a line was needed to take 6th Avenue passengers that got off at Lex and 53rd st for the Lexington Ave line.

I also believe it was to relieve some of the crowding on the R. While an R train still usually has more passengers than a V these days, it has certainly helped.

The only complaint I've ever heard is the fact that it doesn't run on latenight/weekends and the R train doesn't run as many trains on the weekend thus causing sometimes long waits between trains. However IME, I have never waited longer than 20 minutes on a weekend day and at night I can't I recall having to take a local along Queens BLVD.

The only thing I think it should do is run local to 179th during the week. I think the no weekend service makes perfect sense, they can put 8 car trains on the G and have that run to 71st on the weekends and late nights.

disadvantages:

2. (G) riders lose access to Queens Boulevard.

there might be more

The V wasn't a direct cause of that, and there was no loss of access to Queens Blvd. The G was running to 71st and Continental up until at least mid 2008 from what I saw with my own eyes. The G didn't need direct track access during the day to Queens Blvd because of the transfer at Court Sq-23rd Ely to the Express E and local V.

To be honest I can only see three locals along Queens Blvd, during the week, providing more seats for passengers, not majorly improved service. The R and V come very frequently during the day.

That's a good idea except for the problem of it not stopping at Queens Plaza. Many E train riders get off at Queens Plaza to wait for a V or R train. R trains are usually crowded when they get to Queens Plaza. The V usually has a couple seats available and much standing room. R riders from 60th St usually stay on and the crowd disperses gradually til Woodhaven Blvd, where a large amount get off usually.

There needs to be another Queens Blvd express for sure though, or just more E trains. The E gets really, really ridiculous in the rush hours (Roosevelt Avenue being the overcrowding culprit).

That's a good idea except for the problem of it not stopping at Queens Plaza. Many E train riders get off at Queens Plaza to wait for a V or R train. R trains are usually crowded when they get to Queens Plaza. The V usually has a couple seats available and much standing room. R riders from 60th St usually stay on and the crowd disperses gradually til Woodhaven Blvd, where a large amount get off usually.

There needs to be another Queens Blvd express for sure though, or just more E trains. The E gets really, really ridiculous in the rush hours (Roosevelt Avenue being the overcrowding culprit).

But the V would wreak havoc on the QBL if it is a local and stops at Queens Plaza.

Not sure what you mean.

If it were using the 63rd st tunnel it couldnt stop at Queens Plaza without a reverse move that would screw things up beyond imagination. While it would could still maybe alleviate the R crowding if people got off the R at 36th st... but people don't do that unless they really, really, really feel they need to. I'm saying that it's better off going through the 53rd st tunnel like it is now and easing some of the crowding on the Queensbound R.

However a local that uses the 63rd st tunnel, say one coming uptown via 2nd avenue via the future track connection, would be most excellent. Because then all the people who currently take the 6 to 51st street for V service and 4/5/6 to 59th for R service can instead...

Coming from uptown:

-Take the T to 55th st and crossover and take a Queensbound _(?)_ local train via 63rd st.

-Take the Q to 63rd and Lex and board a Queens bound F train, transfer at Queensbridge or Roosevelt Island for the local.

From downtown, assuming the Queens bound train terminated at Hanover Square, you could take it from anywhere between there and 55th st.

The (V) shouldn't exist at all. It's useless and it's very infrequent. I love it when it was just the (F) making all local stops. If the (V) continues to exist it will wreck all service on Queens Blvd. the (G) will not run up there anymore, the (F) will be more crowed and the gridlock into 71st Av will get even worse. Why not make the (V) useful and have it run down the old Rockaway Line so the Rockaway residents have direct access into deep Queens.

The (V) shouldn't exist at all. It's useless and it's very infrequent. I love it when it was just the (F) making all local stops. If the (V) continues to exist it will wreck all service on Queens Blvd. the (G) will not run up there anymore, the (F) will be more crowed and the gridlock into 71st Av will get even worse. Why not make the (V) useful and have it run down the old Rockaway Line so the Rockaway residents have direct access into deep Queens.

No offense, but seeing that you are living in NJ, and the fact that V ridership is increasing and actually serves a pretty useful purpose... I doubt you've ridden the V enough to form such a strong opinion. You sound very uninformed by your post.

It certainly isn't wrecking anything... except maybe some peoples heads on the switch after Queens Plaza heading to Forest Hills. :)

(V) is ok, it is important to have the (V) for the 53rd Street to 6th ave line To prevent delays on the (D) and (E) for to and from access on these line..

Although ridership is still not good. And really needs a fix.

It would be nice to have the (V) run to Euclid probably? Instead of mr Crosstown/Culver..

This will help the issue with the (C) in brooklyn.

And hey even better: Make the (V) run to Lefferts.. Yeah its Long, buts perfect instead of 2/3 versions of the (A)

Mott Ave, Rockaway and Leffert

how is V ridership not good??

the V is a great option for those who do not wish to wait 20 minutes for the R train to come..

ride the V during rush hour on the Queens Blvd line and then tell me ridership is not good

The V along 6th Avenue i'll admit that is kinda useless but where else are we gonna turn it around?

how is V ridership not good??

the V is a great option for those who do not wish to wait 20 minutes for the R train to come..

ride the V during rush hour on the Queens Blvd line and then tell me ridership is not good

The V along 6th Avenue i'll admit that is kinda useless but where else are we gonna turn it around?

well of course the 6th ave line is wat im on about, most likely when you hit Roosvelt on the (G)(R)(V) now there is a kick ass of riders there

But i dunnif the 6th ave line is low on riders due to the fact that the (V) has few stops in Manhattan then Queenz

The V seems to fill the gap between F trains from what I've seen. At least heading to Queens.

I've been at 34st at rush hour a couple times trying to catch an F with a seat and noticed a pattern of:

V, 1-2 min wait, F, 1 min wait, F, 2-3 min wait, V, 5-10min wait, F.

After that F I assume the pattern repeats (I usually get on that 3rd F, as it usually has a good seat). Theres probably another F behind that last one as they usually are right behind eachother until they hit Queens Boulevard and have to wait for an E to cross.

well of course the 6th ave line is wat im on about, most likely when you hit Roosvelt on the (G)(R)(V) now there is a kick ass of riders there

But i dunnif the 6th ave line is low on riders due to the fact that the (V) has few stops in Manhattan then Queenz

6th Ave is definitely NOT low on ridership. Check it during rushhour.

By the time the V gets to 2nd Avenue it doesn't have many people on it. The majority of V riders get on/off between 23rd st and 47-50th st from what I've seen.

When heading downtown it probably takes a small load of people who would normally ride the F. If someone isn't heading past 2nd Avenue, they can hop on the V since it shares stops with the F until then.

There also isn't anywhere to turn the V around that wont interrupt service with the B/D.

I want to know how you feel about the (V) train since its debut in 2001. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the (V)? I've been hearing people complaining about the (V).

Thanks to the V, F riders lost a transfer to the Lexington Avenue IRT as well as access to the East Side business district. Displaced F riders have to cram onto the E train.

Thanks to the V, F riders lost a transfer to the Lexington Avenue IRT as well as access to the East Side business district. Displaced F riders have to cram onto the E train.

No they didn't. All F riders have to do now is get off at Roosevelt Avenue if they don't want to deal with the crowded E's and take a V or R or enjoy the local ride from 71st. It doesn't take that much longer for local trains to reach Manhattan, believe it or not. The constant stopping is what makes it feel longer at times.

Is having to transfer an inconvenience? Definitely. No doubt about that, but they still have east side access, it's just indirect.

After the 2nd Ave Subway is finished, there is the possibility of a line from Queens Blvd to 2nd Ave and vice versa. It is not in any of the plans AFAIK, but the track connection is going to be there. The connection will probably first be used to import trains from Jamaica Yard to be used on the (T) when Phase III is finished.

So don't lose hope, it may be a long while from now, but it could happen.

The (V) is basically compliments the (F), and replaces the (F) in the 53rd Street Tunnel. It gives Queens Boulevard local station users direct access to 6 Avenue Service. However I feel like the (V) should also run on weekends, because the (E) has to carry the load at 53rd Street tunnel, since it's the only line running there during that time.

The (V) should stay.

Archived